Author Topic: Return Ticket Requirement to be Enforced  (Read 8511 times)

Offline cogon88

• Sr Member
Return Ticket Requirement to be Enforced
« on: July 23, 2012, 08:21:06 AM »
Policy on tourists imposed
By Eric B. Apolonio | Posted on July 23, 2012 | 12:07am | 0 Comments

The Bureau of Immigration would impose fines on airlines that allow foreign tourists to board an aircraft and travel to the Philippines without return tickets, airport operations chief Ben Se said on Sunday.

Se said the administrative order on return tickets issued by Immigration Commissioner Ricardo David, which takes effect today, is an international practice, which is implemented in almost all countries in the world.

“This rule is meant to guarantee that a tourist will leave the host country before the lapse of his stay as a temporary visitor,” David said in his order.

Section 29 of the Immigration Act provides that aliens who arrive as tourists would be excluded and sent back to their port of origin they do not have valid return or onward tickets.

Balikbayans are exempted because they are former citizens of the Philippines. But their stay is limited to one year.

Ed Monreal, Airline Operators Council chairman and Cathay Pacific Station Manager, said they have been implementing for some time the “no return ticket, no entry to the Philippines” to all tourists who come to the country.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • Peace Keeper
Re: Return Ticket Requirement to be Enforced
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 08:45:46 AM »
I had the same problem with Delta airlines earlier this year in February when my wife and I were on the way to Cebu from Florida. The manager was not going to allow me on the flight even though I had a return ticket that was set for months later and even though I had numerous stamps in my passport showing we stay for about 4 months each year. I always print and carry a copy of the balikbayan law with me in my computer case and I provided that to her and she read it and asked if she could make a copy of it and I of course said yes. After making the copy she then allowed us on the flight but I could tell she was still uneasy with it because she had said she did not wish to have to pay for my return ticket and the fine that Delta would take out of her salary if the Philippines would have turned me around. So it is always best to have an onward ticket and I am not sure what will happen next trip when we do the same thing yet again.  :(
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline gbrown6usa

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 08:13:30 AM »
At some point in the year my wife and I take a vacation.  This year we had decided to go to Hong Kong so in January I bought my tickets for there.  I have used the same on word tickets all year, I have decided to return to the states for christmas and have bought that ticket as well so when we go to HK I will have my forwarding ticket at that time as well.  

Before I return in January we will decide where we want to go and I will purchase that ticket also in advance. It takes a little forethought and planning but has worked well for us.

Offline Metz

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 10:33:44 AM »
I flew in on Qatar last year. One way ticket.  They asked me and I simply told them I was going to be upgrading to 13a at immigration.

Offline mikbal

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 08:38:10 AM »
Just fyi, I just arrived on Thursday. Flying out of San Antonio, Tx, I was booked all the way under the auspices of United but flew on Asiana Airlines from LA to Manilavia Seoul.  I had a return ticke but it was well outside of the 21 day period.  No one at United or Asiana asked about a visa.  When I got to immigration in Manila, there was a sign in front of each booth that required presentation of Passport, immigration form, and onward ticket (Tourist only).  I just gave the lady my passport and form only. She looked at the passport, did asked to see a ticket, and gave me the 21 day visa.  I noticed, however, that some Korean passengers were being ask about stays and tickets. I'm not sure what criteria they were using.  I was one of about 5 American/Europeans on the fligt. The rest of the passengers appeared to be Korean.

Offline suzukig1

• Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2013, 05:54:58 PM »
Important note: It is the airlines that police the onward/return ticket rule.  So check with your airline regarding their policy.

According to immigration the return/onward ticket does not have to be within 21 days of arrival.

Below is an email I sent to immigration and their response.

Return/Onward Ticket Timeframe
   Inbox

Gary Suzuki
   Tue, Jun 4, 2013 at 3:14 AM
To: binoc_immigration@hotmail.ph
Reply | Reply to all | Forward | Print | Delete | Show original

I am a U.S. citizen staying in the Philippines as a temporary visitor.
 My wife and I take vacation trips out of the Philippines about every
6 months.

Is there a time limit on the return/onward ticket?  Some people have
said that the return or onward ticket has to be within 21 days of
arrival without a visa or within 59 days of arrival if you have a 59
day visa.

Can my return or onward ticket be for a flight 6, 8 or 10 months after
my arrival date as long as I keep my stay valid by getting extensions?

Thank you.

Bureau of Immigration National Operations Center
<binoc_immigration@hotmail.ph>   Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 5:33 PM
To: Gary Suzuki

Sir,

Good day! As a temporary visitor visa holder, you need to present a return ticket but not necessarily within 21 days or 59 days. Furthermore, if you are accompanied by your Filipina wife you will be admitted as Balikbayan and a one way ticket is allowed.

Thank you.

Should you have other immigration-related queries, please do not hesitate to call the BI Helpdesk Hotline at (632) 524-3824 or (632) 524-3769, visit our website at www.immigration.gov.ph or like us on Facebook: officialbureauofimmigration and follow us on Twitter: immigrationPH.

Offline Big Jim

• Retired soon
  • Sr Member
    • Big Jims Philippines Experience
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 06:32:04 PM »
Important note: It is the airlines that police the onward/return ticket rule.  So check with your airline regarding their policy.

According to immigration the return/onward ticket does not have to be within 21 days of arrival.

Below is an email I sent to immigration and their response.

Return/Onward Ticket Timeframe
   Inbox

Gary Suzuki
   Tue, Jun 4, 2013 at 3:14 AM
To: binoc_immigration@hotmail.ph

I am a U.S. citizen staying in the Philippines as a temporary visitor.
 My wife and I take vacation trips out of the Philippines about every
6 months.

Is there a time limit on the return/onward ticket?  Some people have
said that the return or onward ticket has to be within 21 days of
arrival without a visa or within 59 days of arrival if you have a 59
day visa.

Can my return or onward ticket be for a flight 6, 8 or 10 months after
my arrival date as long as I keep my stay valid by getting extensions?

Thank you.

Bureau of Immigration National Operations Center
<binoc_immigration@hotmail.ph>   Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 5:33 PM
To: Gary Suzuki

Sir,

Good day! As a temporary visitor visa holder, you need to present a return ticket but not necessarily within 21 days or 59 days. Furthermore, if you are accompanied by your Filipina wife you will be admitted as Balikbayan and a one way ticket is allowed.

Thank you.

Should you have other immigration-related queries, please do not hesitate to call the BI Helpdesk Hotline at (632) 524-3824 or (632) 524-3769, visit our website at www.immigration.gov.ph or like us on Facebook: officialbureauofimmigration and follow us on Twitter: immigrationPH.

Thankyou for confirming 2 things for me.

The date is irrelevant.

No onward tickets are required for Balikbayan spouse. This point has been quite ambiguous since last year when there was a policy change. The head of the bureau of immigration announced that no onward ticket was required for Balibayans as they were former Filipinos. But he failed to mention the requirements of the spouse.
I used to wonder what it would be like to read other people's minds.

Then I got a facebook account and now I am over it.

Offline suzukig1

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2013, 09:28:19 PM »
I'll post this point again:

It doesn't matter what the immigration policy is if your airline thinks it's something different they can still deny you a boarding pass.  So you need to check with your airline.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • Peace Keeper
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2013, 10:29:22 PM »
I have found bringing written proof helps, so a copy of an email from the BI or a copy of the law to show them at the very least would make them negligent if you show them the proof and they still refuse to allow you on the flight. The next step would then be to insist on a supervisor and show it to them and if they still refuse then I would think that might make a good lawsuit, that you proved to them they were wrong with an email from the BI to you and they still refused you to board. I hope someone tests it with Delta one day soon as they continually give me a problem until I show them the printed BB law and even then last time I had to show them a printed email from the BI to me and then they allowed me to board.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2013, 11:22:32 PM »
I have found bringing written proof helps, so a copy of an email from the BI or a copy of the law to show them at the very least would make them negligent if you show them the proof and they still refuse to allow you on the flight. The next step would then be to insist on a supervisor and show it to them and if they still refuse then I would think that might make a good lawsuit, that you proved to them they were wrong with an email from the BI to you and they still refused you to board. I hope someone tests it with Delta one day soon as they continually give me a problem until I show them the printed BB law and even then last time I had to show them a printed email from the BI to me and then they allowed me to board.

Delta is nothing but a pain in the a _ _ as you have been saying all along.  I just used them for the first time all the way.  I had a one-way to NAIA.  I had an official confirmation on a flight out of Clark on Tiger within 21 days to Hong Kong.  To start out, I was able to get a flight out of  the old Stewart AFB turned commercial in the Hudson Valley of NY instead of having to go to NYC.  Was able to get the same flight at same price out of Detroit.  Everything was good until I checked in at the Detroit terminal desk for the flight.  The young lady at the counter kept asking me why I didn't have ticket number for the onward flight.  I told her that Tiger said the official confirmation was it and since they were ticket-less, there would be no ticket or number.  She wasn't happy with that and started to get what I considered personal and wanted to know among things as to how long I was going to Hong Kong for if I planned to return to Manila and when.  I told her that I didn't know since I was just traveling and I was going to do what I want when I can and feel like it.  She was still questioning me so I was about to ask her what business it was of Delta's when all they had to do was worry about me having a way out of Manila in order to take them off the hook for me but then another young lady who apparently was overhearing what was going on stopped her and looked at the confirmation and told her everything was alright.  So, the first one then said everything would be fine.  I then asked her if she was done with me and if I was in the clear.  She said yes so I then went and took a seat to await boarding.

It came time to load up.  The lines were moving along fine at a steady pace but then here comes me along handing a third young lady my boarding pass and passport.  She was looking at the one-way, which clearly said at the top that for international an onward was required, and looked back at me and stopped everything.  I handed her my Tiger confirmation and she decided she had to stop the movement of the line by moving to the side and start punching stuff in a computer console from my ticket.  So, I was waiting and waiting along with everyone at a sudden standstill waiting and waiting.  Now, she wanted to ask me questions.  I said to her that if she would check with the first young lady who was nearby, she would find that everything was alright with my ticket.  No.  She had to do some more punching and did not want to ask the other anything apparently.  I said to her to let me step aside so she could get the line moving again and I would wait.  That wasn't going to work apparently and she kept me right there.  I said for her to ask the other one and she could explain to her. No, still not concerned with asking.  Then here comes the second one who had told the first one originally that my confirmation was fine.  As she was going by, I said to her in a low voice that they got me again.  The third one heard this and told me to just calm down and wait.  So, I told her to just ask the first one what is going on with the ticket instead of holding all these other people up.  Now, she did.  The first one explained it all to her and then the third one said, "Oh, okay" and told me that I could go on my way.
Whatever floats your boat.

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2013, 04:23:35 AM »
I'll post this point again:

It doesn't matter what the immigration policy is if your airline thinks it's something different they can still deny you a boarding pass.  So you need to check with your airline.
That is a true statement, because not all airlines are knowledgeable of immigration rules or they have different interpretations of the rules, for example: 2 years ago we went to Hong Kong with a British couple friends of ours in Balikbayan status and the airlines asked for the the guy's on-ward ticket before they would allow him to board going back to Manila, fortunately he had one due to my insistence he get one before we left the Philippines, because I told him the airlines may not know the on-ward ticket rule for the foreign spouse! The memorandum only mentions the former Filipino citizen and nothing about the foreign spouse! My wife and I too were Balikbayans, but were both former Filipino citizens with U.S. passports! I knew that Balikbayans, former Filipino citizens do not require on-ward tickets so I didn't buy one and it seems that the airline (PAL) also knew the policy, but only for former Filipino citizens and not for the foreign spouse!
If Immigration only added the words "foreign spouse" onto the memorandum, it would be clear to all including for the airlines not to ask for on-ward tickets those on Balikbayan status, especially that of the foreign spouse accompanied by his Filipna spouse! So, go figure, the confusion will still exist for those traveling on the BB Program going to other countries and back!   
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 04:58:49 AM by Art, re(tired) Fil/Am »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2013, 12:03:22 PM »
Big problem was going through Detroit.  Went through there 2 times with my ex.  She is a perm resident.  She had her cards and everything. The first time we went through, the immigration looked at the Perm Resident card, and said it was expired.  Now, my wife's perm resident is one of the last years that made it really permanent.  Before we ever went the first time we went to the Philippine Embassy in Chicago.  They even recognized it as Permanent.  But, my wife was detained for over 8 hours going up the ranks till the top dog in the Detroit airport confirmed it was a legit permanent resident card. 
Now, fast forward just 18 months, on another trip to the Phils, we leave Chicago to Detroit, then Detroit to Japan, then to Manila, again, as the first time, NO PROBLEM.  But, coming back on the same path, my wife is detained again.  This time she was furious.  and it only happened in Detroit.  Chicago has never bothered her, Japan never bothered her, ONLY Detroit.  We've been back a few times since, but we will not touch Detroit for any reason. 
Since our split, she's been back, and still will avoid Detroit like the black plague.

Delta is nothing but a pain in the a _ _ as you have been saying all along.  I just used them for the first time all the way.  I had a one-way to NAIA.  I had an official confirmation on a flight out of Clark on Tiger within 21 days to Hong Kong.  To start out, I was able to get a flight out of  the old Stewart AFB turned commercial in the Hudson Valley of NY instead of having to go to NYC.  Was able to get the same flight at same price out of Detroit.  Everything was good until I checked in at the Detroit terminal desk for the flight.  The young lady at the counter kept asking me why I didn't have ticket number for the onward flight.  I told her that Tiger said the official confirmation was it and since they were ticket-less, there would be no ticket or number.  She wasn't happy with that and started to get what I considered personal and wanted to know among things as to how long I was going to Hong Kong for if I planned to return to Manila and when.  I told her that I didn't know since I was just traveling and I was going to do what I want when I can and feel like it.  She was still questioning me so I was about to ask her what business it was of Delta's when all they had to do was worry about me having a way out of Manila in order to take them off the hook for me but then another young lady who apparently was overhearing what was going on stopped her and looked at the confirmation and told her everything was alright.  So, the first one then said everything would be fine.  I then asked her if she was done with me and if I was in the clear.  She said yes so I then went and took a seat to await boarding.

It came time to load up.  The lines were moving along fine at a steady pace but then here comes me along handing a third young lady my boarding pass and passport.  She was looking at the one-way, which clearly said at the top that for international an onward was required, and looked back at me and stopped everything.  I handed her my Tiger confirmation and she decided she had to stop the movement of the line by moving to the side and start punching stuff in a computer console from my ticket.  So, I was waiting and waiting along with everyone at a sudden standstill waiting and waiting.  Now, she wanted to ask me questions.  I said to her that if she would check with the first young lady who was nearby, she would find that everything was alright with my ticket.  No.  She had to do some more punching and did not want to ask the other anything apparently.  I said to her to let me step aside so she could get the line moving again and I would wait.  That wasn't going to work apparently and she kept me right there.  I said for her to ask the other one and she could explain to her. No, still not concerned with asking.  Then here comes the second one who had told the first one originally that my confirmation was fine.  As she was going by, I said to her in a low voice that they got me again.  The third one heard this and told me to just calm down and wait.  So, I told her to just ask the first one what is going on with the ticket instead of holding all these other people up.  Now, she did.  The first one explained it all to her and then the third one said, "Oh, okay" and told me that I could go on my way.
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline mikbal

• Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2013, 02:36:15 AM »
   When I flew from Bangkok back to Clark on July 4 via Tiger Philippines (SEAAIR), I did have to show an ongoing ticket at the airlines checkin counter.  Another passenger was booked round trip (BKK-CRK-BKK) on the same airlines.  The airlines employee at the counter in BKK advised him that when he returned from CRK to BKK, he would need to show an onward ticket from BKK or he would not be allowed to board the aircraft in Clark.

Offline rayhigh

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2014, 12:01:56 AM »
In anyone's experience, does PAL have an understanding that ongoing ticket is not required for Balikbayans and 13A holders?

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2014, 01:13:57 AM »
That's the main reason we fly mainly with Philippine Airlines from the U.S. to Manila with only one-way tickets, because they are familiar with the follow-on ticket rule. They know that Balikbayans and 13a visa holders are not required to have on-ward or follow-on tickets! They do enforce the follow-on ticket rule to regular tourists as stated also on the memorandum below!
Delta Airlines and Cathay Pacific my still be hesitant to this follow-on ticket rule originating from the U.S. unless you can convince them otherwise with the thumbnail pic memorandum below pertaining to Balikbayans, but for for 13a visa holders their ACR I-Cards are used as their reentry/exit permit in or out of the Philippines. 
Also, this follow-on ticket rule maybe different when traveling to other Asian countries originating from the Philippines! So ask just in case traveling to other Asian countries from the Philippines.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 01:55:15 AM by Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog