Author Topic: Return Ticket Requirement to be Enforced  (Read 8512 times)

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • Peace Keeper
Re: Return Ticket Requirement to be Enforced
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2014, 08:15:51 AM »
Better clarify that. I don't think an ordinary 'tourist' visa will be acceptable by any airline as waiver from onward flight proof. Mwheeler' s is different.

Ordinary tourists do not have visas, they get a visa free stay stamp put in their passport upon arrival. A visa is put in the passport prior to leaving for the Philippines by applying for it from the Philippine embassy in the country of origin, so that should work. I go on a Balikbayan stamp each year which is not added until we arrive in the Philippines and each year Delta demands to see my visa and only after I produce the other paperwork do they give me a boarding pass. I wish Delta would learn but each year I get the same old run around but I am glad they did not give mwheeler a run around.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline bigrod

• Retired USAF Club Mgmt Supt, Personnel Supt & 1st Sgt
  • Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2014, 09:02:08 AM »
If you apply for a 9a(Tourist Visa) from a Philippine Embassy/Consulate one of the requirements is a R/T ticket prior to approval of the Visa stamp in the passport.  This probably would not preclude the airline  from asking to see the ticket, since they are responsible if you don't have a ticket.

Chuck
Life is  to short not to live it right the first time

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2014, 12:08:03 PM »
Just a little update. I caught my flight to Phils Thursday. I stopped at the Delta check-in and the guy asked for a return ticket. I showed him the VISA in my passport, he said ok and printed my boarding passes. Didn't even have to show the emails I got from BI. So yay for Delta.
You mentioned that you got your 13a visa in the U.S.! You are a permanent resident of the Philippines and no longer classified as a "regular tourist"!
On-ward and or return tickets only apply to "tourists" and the BI May 2012 memorandum in my OP excludes "Balikbayans" even though they are also classified as tourists, the reason is that they are allowed a free one year stay in the Philippines upon their arrival!
According to RA6768 http://tinyurl.com/kvkukmr - the Balikbayan privilege is extendable to legitimate members of the family (i.e., foreign spouse and their children) of individuals in the mentioned categories, who are holders of foreign passports, ONLY IF they are travelling to the Philippines together with the qualified individual aka a former Filipino citizen and or a Filipino citizen or OFW who has been out of the Philippines for at least a year (the last two are seldom enforced by BI officials at the point of entry into the RP).
So, it's not just the Airlines that enforces the "Return or On-ward Ticket Rule" to all "tourists" traveling to the Philippines!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 01:16:28 PM by Art, "Just a re(tired) Fil-Am" »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline mwheeler311

« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2014, 01:16:16 PM »
I had asked, earlier in the thread, wondering if the airline would give me a hard time because I don't have an ID card yet. Lee suggested I email BI and that was good advice. The airline didn't question the visa, but I thought they would. I had almost bought a throw-a-way at the last minute, just in case. Glad I didn't.

It does seem the airlines go out of their way to make things more difficult sometimes. But it is a no-brainer, that a tourist visa would require an onward ticket. I should have started a new thread for my question instead of sticking it this one. Didn't mean to confuse anyone :)

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2014, 01:50:12 PM »
The problem still exists with some airlines when one departs from the Philippines going to other countries where some airlines, make it mandatory for all passengers (no matter what their immigration status) to have a return and or an onward ticket! 
Back in Feb of 2010, we went to Hong Kong with our British/Filipina friends on a 5 day turnaround trip. We were all in Balikbayan status, but upon our return to Manila, a PAL agent at the check-in ticket counter at the Hong Kong airport asked our British friend for his on-ward ticket before he was allowed to board our Manila return flight, luckily he had one due to my recommendation that he have one even though I did not have one myself since my U.S. passport had the Philippines as my birthplace and I look Filipino, but still I was a U.S. tourist, but a Balikbayan since my wife was a former Filipino citizen and acts as my sponsor just in case, because I can not prove that I was ever a former Filipino citizen with a U.S. passport (it's complicated)!
Since the BI May 2012 memorandum came about, I don't know now if all the airlines are now complying with excluding Balikbayans in not requiring to have return and or onward tickets!
Some of the Airlines I know of personally who are sticklers about the return and or onward ticket rule are Delta in the U.S., Cathy Pacific at the Taipei airport, PAL and Cebu Pacific Air going to Thailand and Hong Kong! Anyone know of others?     
PAL seem to have gotten their act together though somewhat! Besides, I remember back in 2008 PAL had exclusive rights to sell Balikbayans one-way tickets to the Philippines, where as the other airlines wouldn't allow it, I know that for a fact, because I tried purchasing one-way tickets from Northwest Airlines and they denied us except for PAL and I remembered us leaving from SFO on Thanksgiving Day of 2008 bound for Manila one-way with no questions asked about having a return or onward ticket on that day of our departure! ??? :o ;)   
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 06:00:20 PM by Art, "Just a re(tired) Fil-Am" »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2014, 12:30:13 AM »
I should have started a new thread for my question instead of sticking it this one. Didn't mean to confuse anyone :)

This was the perfect place to add your post, bro!  Glad everything went smoothly on your trip!
Louisville, KY USA

Offline UNGGOY

• BANNED for insulting members
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2018, 01:24:35 AM »
Probably already mentioned, but they no longer accept onward tickets?

Not that it matters to me, since I am a Gold Card holder...   8)
This member has been BANNED for repeatedly insulting other members.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • Peace Keeper
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2018, 01:26:58 AM »
Who no longer accept onwad tickets?
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline UNGGOY

• BANNED for insulting members
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2018, 01:33:02 AM »
When I went back to the US for brief visits, Delta accepted my ACR-I card (13A) as proof that I belonged there and said, "Have a nice trip". God Bless......
I am always very proud when they tell me I need a $5,000 return ticket from the Philippines and I tell them I am not required to leave my home!
This member has been BANNED for repeatedly insulting other members.

Offline iamjames

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2018, 07:08:13 AM »

Probably already mentioned, but they no longer accept onward tickets?

Not that it matters to me, since I am a Gold Card holder...   8)

????? That doesn't sound right!   :o

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2018, 05:23:37 AM »
This is an old topic that some are misunderstanding. The requirement is for either a return ticket OR an onward ticket taking you out of the Philippines and on to your next destination. No one says anywhere that you must have only a return ticket.
Louisville, KY USA

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2018, 09:29:23 AM »
This is an old topic that some are misunderstanding. The requirement is for either a return ticket OR an onward ticket taking you out of the Philippines and on to your next destination. No one says anywhere that you must have only a return ticket.
Correct.  No need to worry about a costly return ticket.  Last time I used one over a year ago Tina and I shopped online for about 20 minutes and found a ticket promo from Clark to Malaysia that cost $20 usd.  That worked.  Just need to make sure it is inside 29 days of your arrival. 
I didn't even arrive at Clark but instead Cebu.  As long as you are leaving the Philippines at some airport going to another country inside those 29 days..you are fine.  I think mine was 14 days after my arrival date or so.
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline Pelican

« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2018, 03:11:29 AM »
JOE-LP;

If I arrived in Philippines with a fly-through ticket to China 25 days later, could I stay in Philippines? Is it possible?  (i.e. is it possible for the same ticket to return me to America.)  What airline or ticket agency do you think is best and most reliable?  Thanks

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog