Author Topic: Cost of living in your area compared to home  (Read 22530 times)

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
Re: Cost of living in your area compared to home
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2013, 09:35:52 PM »
Would someone please kindly draw the line for me on what could be considered as "some effort" to acclimatize to the temperature when moving to a tropical country so that I may determine if I should continue making my move to the Philippines.
Go to Florida or Arizona for a few weeks during their hot peak season to acclimatize yourself to the heat and then come to the Philippines! If that doesn't work I don't know what will. :o ???

Hey Art and Chuck.  I don't need to go to Florida or Arizona before I get there.  I have been living in Florida since '73.  Yes, I was also on a hot flight line too at NAS in Florida when I was still in.  And whenever we were out on the carrier, it would get kind of hot when you were darn near underneath the Phantom afterburners and picking up the blast reflecting off the JBD.  I will be okay.  I have been living in Florida since '73.  I will tell you something though. Before I got off the board here this time, I came across another message where the same person who mentioned about believing that someone moving to a tropical country needs to put in some effort to acclimate actually used to rent a place that he needed to use the aircon a lot.  Well, I'll be darn.  Will wonders never cease?
Whatever floats your boat.

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2013, 09:47:13 PM »
Bud,
I just forgot that you live and work in Florida! Just my bad memory! 
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

• Sr Member
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2013, 10:44:23 PM »
Bud,
I guess Art has forgot how hot it used to get in Santa Clara County, California, when we were both growing up.  Think it was 114 F(46 C) one time, but we may have both been in USAF that year, but do remember many 100+ F days. with no a/c in the 1950s and early 1960s.  I know Art was hot at Travis AFB during his years in the AFRes. 
Chuck
Chuck & Bud,
We moved to Sunnyvale near Silicon Valley in 1965, when homes back then only cost $10,000 to $15,000!   
I joined the Air Force Nov of 1967 a year after I graduated from high school to avoid getting drafted in the Army during the Vietnam crisis. Yeah, the Travis flight line got pretty warm during the summer months! In 1968 I was stationed at Clark AB for 4 yrs!
After our Mom passed away in 1999 and I was already retired and living in the Philippines, my brother sold her house for $320,000, but we only cleared $185,000 after all was said and done! I used $50,000 of my share of the money to purchase our home here in Sta. Rosa, Laguna in 2000, moved in in 2001 and we've lived here ever since.
Art
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 10:49:05 PM by Art2ro »
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2013, 07:50:00 AM »
Before I got off the board here this time, I came across another message where the same person who mentioned about believing that someone moving to a tropical country needs to put in some effort to acclimate actually used to rent a place that he needed to use the aircon a lot.  Well, I'll be darn.  Will wonders never cease?

Bud, that was me, and by a lot I meant in comparison to what we use now which is almost none. Our rented place was an old bungalow surrounded by higher building only a few feet away so had no air movement. It was also very leaky with no insulation so, unlike our own house, it heated up very quickly. We used the large cabinet aircon in the lounge in the afternoons and evening during the hotter parts of the year That was the only unit we had, none in the bedrooms.

As far as acclimatising, we will only use aircon if the humidity gets very high and we want to move around rather than sit in front of a fan. I will go to my study  and put the aircon on there if it gets too uncomfortable, but if I want to read I will just lay on the bed with a fan. If we are watching the TV we will only ever use a fan. I believe I have acclimatised, and being a little on the hot side is now normal.

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2013, 09:27:28 AM »
Thanks for explaining that comment better Colin.  I appreciate it.

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2013, 09:59:51 AM »
Bud,
I just forgot that you live and work in Florida! Just my bad memory!

I don't work there as of the past week and half now.  Still live there but that is only for about two more months until I can make sure everything is in order and going smoothly.

• Sr Member
« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2013, 02:18:10 PM »
So, you're busy, busy, busy, busy, but ain't it great though to do as you like when, where and how! 
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 02:21:15 PM by Art2ro »
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline medic3500

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2013, 10:20:25 PM »
@ Bud, if at all possible live outside Manila, IMHO Manila sucks hind tit, I say that because I live there. It is big, dirty and very polluted. Don't get me wrong, you can find and do almost anything you can dream of in Manila. If you have the patience to fight the crowds, traffic and don't have respiratory issues. I personally can't wait until we are to relocate away from the smog.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2013, 12:32:33 AM »
@ Bud, if at all possible live outside Manila, IMHO Manila sucks hind tit, I say that because I live there. It is big, dirty and very polluted. Don't get me wrong, you can find and do almost anything you can dream of in Manila. If you have the patience to fight the crowds, traffic and don't have respiratory issues. I personally can't wait until we are to relocate away from the smog.

Bud,

I have to agree with Medic3500.  Our houses are in the same area.  He's on the south side of Novaliches and we're on the north side near Bagong Silang.  The air is horrible, made worse by the locals burning leaves and trash at night to ward off mosquitos. 

The only relief for me was on our rooftop in the bahay kubo.   It's high enough to catch a breeze almost all day.  But even up there you would catch a lung full of smoke from a neighbor.  This is my primary reason for wanting to build/buy way up north, to get away from "city" air. 

Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #54 on: February 15, 2013, 01:37:46 AM »
I am not going to say that I disagree with either of you guys or anyone else.  That is because I feel the same way about Manila.  But why are you guys in the area and not where you want to be?  Same reason as me and that is because you have a reason or reasons.

Just to refresh you guys on why I will be stuck there, which I have covered previously but as we know, some people forget (me too) plus we know that we don't read all of everyone's posts necessarily (understandable of course) but, I am mentioning this stuff again because yes, I really do not care for the idea of living in Manila.

So, here goes.  When I first decided to retire in the Philippines for sure, I had my eye on Baguio.  That was three years ago.  Then, after talking with some other people where I used to work until almost now two weeks ago, I heard a lot of pros and cons about Baguio but heard good things about Tagaytay.  Yes, I have heard a lot of the pros and cons about Tagaytay too but, I decided to check it out.  I met my girlfriend two years ago now.  She lives in Paranaque.  She has been in the travel agency business for at least 20 years now.  She has had her own agency for about 7 years of which she has been busting her butt to build and make successful.  She has succeeded but still thrives to accomplish more with it and continues to bust her butt.  I have kidded her about Baguio but she doesn't like the cool (she says cold) air and has told me if I want to go there, I can go without her.  I think that she would go if it came push to shove though.  Besides the fact I have just kidded her about Baguio, I am not interested in taking her away from her business that she is so proud of having built.  And I sure am not going to leave her behind. 

I have currently decided to stay in the Paranaque area for 3, 4. maybe 5 years at the most.  Then I think she might be ready and set up where she does not need to be at the office every day.  As it is, one of her younger sisters and her family lives in Paranaque and now works with my girlfriend and is learning all the ropes.  Every time I have gone there, I have been impressed with the maturity of her sister (only in early 30s) and how responsible she is so my feeling is, one day, she can handle the day to day operation of the business.  When I have been there, my girlfriend, in most instances has already been set up where she can conduct business over the internet communicating with people working in the office and clients.  My opinion is that within a few years, my girlfriend will start feeling more like getting away from it more and let it run it's course in good hands.  In her business, she has traveled a lot to other countries and I know she wants to travel more and to new places.  I am interested in traveling too and that is mainly how I met her.

I think that is enough.  I hope you guys understand why I am doing what I am doing and delaying where I would rather live.  To tell you the truth, some don't but I myself like Cavite and Batangas.  Once I get there, I will be able to get around more in those two areas and start canvassing those provinces for what I want.  I can't really get north of Manila as she is a Bicolana and the family home is in Camarinas Sur.  I kind of like Art's area of Laguna too.  Of course Sta Rosa is the only area of Laguna that I have been to so there might be more of it I like or like better.  Only time will tell and I will have a few years to find out.

That is it.  I only intended this to be a few sentences and look what has happened.  Thanks for your concerns though.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2013, 02:05:21 AM »
I fully understand Bud.  Even with all the things that are bad about Manila (air, traffic, congestion) I still enjoy visiting with family there, and have always spent the majority of my time there, although we do get away often.  I may even have to base myself there when I first move over (as reported previously) But we both fully intend to seek housing in the Ilocos region ASAP after relocating to Novaliches.

Our responses to this thread are as much for the benefit of others who read but don't post as they are for you, my friend.   :)
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

• Sr Member
« Reply #56 on: February 15, 2013, 03:24:31 AM »
Bud,

My friend/neighbor has started his new 1 bedroom single level home build in Lipa, Batangas on 800 sq meters of land with lots of fruits trees he has planted while the lot was still vacant, it's a lot cooler and breezy area than our area, developed by the Avida (Ayala) Corp, who also built our home 13 yrs ago! P2 million for their 800 sq meter lot and P1.2 million to start for his single level 1 bedroom house. He used his own building contractor, not Avida's and should be done building his home by the end of March if he's on budget, which I think he won't meet, because he's almost out of money and he still hasn't have ceiling panels installed yet and no finishing paint to the exterior and interior and other things!     

Here's the pics of their area in Lipa, Batangas
http://s946.photobucket.com/albums/ad302/ezartjho/The%20Badar%20Famly%20Subdivision%20in%20Lipa%20Batangas/

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152048094939237&set=pcb.10152048100324237&type=1&theater

https://www.google.com/search?q=pictures+of+avida+lipa+batangas&hl=en&rlz=1G1TSNA_ENPH407&prmd=imvnso&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=f-RuT6esL4qWiQe8uuHiBQ&sqi=2&ved=0CE0QsAQ&biw=1344&bih=762
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 09:22:28 AM by Art2ro »
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline medic3500

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #57 on: February 15, 2013, 09:39:15 AM »
Was not trying to ruffle feathers Bud. I can relate to the situation. I am in Manila not by choice, GF is a public school teacher which is Government employment and has some perks to it. Transferring to a location of your choice is not that easy. Someone has to die or retire and most in the cushy locations don't retire when they can continue to collect full salary for showing up.

I visited the subdivision in Lipa that Art posted about a couple weeks ago. Nice place and it's true that there is a noticeable change in temperature.

• Sr Member
« Reply #58 on: February 15, 2013, 11:19:00 AM »
Bud,

What do you think about living in a high rise condo? There are plenty of those in Manila and some have great amenities and location! I like condo living, but my wife doesn't! We had a timeshare condo long ago on Waikiki beach in Honolulu, Hawaii and our condo in Vacaville, California before I retired and we loved living in both of them, especially in our timeshare condo in Hawaii on Lewers St, called the "Imperial Hawaiian", nothing fancy!
https://www.google.com/search?q=pictures+of+the+imperial+hawaiian+hawaii+on+lewers+street&hl=en&tbo=u&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ei=aKodUdzUPIHtrQeS_YGoCA&sqi=2&ved=0CEYQsAQ&biw=1344&bih=762
Now you see why I love that place! Great location and an ocean view!

I even found a website showing our old condo in California, we had an upstairs unit with a balcony, it was a nice roomy floor plan. Their prices sure went down after the housing market crash!

Similar upstairs unit we had:
http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1801-Marshall-Rd-701-Vacaville-CA-95687/2121638481_zpid/

A downstairs unit:
http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1801-Marshall-Rd-Vacaville-CA-95687/15693362_zpid/

Art   
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 12:33:08 PM by Art2ro »
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #59 on: February 15, 2013, 02:37:11 PM »
No medic.  Neither you nor Jack ruffled my feathers.  I just know that so many people advise against metro Manila and I have put bits and pieces all over the place about having to stay there for a while.  I wanted to get it all together for once and I didn't mean to sound like it bothered me but I just didn't want to sound repetitious.  Don't worry.  No problem and thanks.