Author Topic: Ceiling Fans  (Read 2339 times)

Offline medic3500

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Ceiling Fans
« on: December 16, 2012, 03:35:29 PM »
Not sure where to post this. Anyone living here in the PI installed a large ventilating ceiling fan. Pulling air into the home and exhausting into the attic or space above the ceiling. As a kid we had one and never used AC. 

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
Re: Ceiling Fans
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 08:44:53 PM »
No, we don't yet have any ceiling fans in our home. If you are going to live in the Philippines and in an area that's constantly warm, you're going to need an air conditioning at least in your master bedroom! We do, a 1 HP wall unit and it runs 24/7 and our monthly electric bill averages P7,000 a month between the months of February and September! 
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 09:49:16 PM by Art2ro »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline richardsinger

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 11:18:51 PM »
I have a ceiling fan in the dining area to move the air around so that it doesn't feel so stuffy when we are eating. I doubt that exhausting a large fan into the roof space would be very effective unless the roof space has good ventilation (not likely).

Whether you need aircon depends on which part of the Philippines you are living in. My house has 4 bedrooms with split aircons, but they are hardly ever on because it is fairly cool and breezy where I stay.

Richard

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 08:45:50 AM »
It is important to have good ventilation in the attic as well as insulation on top of the ceilings. I think that the large attic fans would be a good idea and effective in the right circumstances.

If you can design the house to have good airflow through all the rooms then you need very little aircon. We made provision to fit aircon in the master bedroom but did not because we found it unnecessary. We rarely even use a fan. We do have small (0.5 hp) aircons in the other bedrooms because they donít have straight through air movement, just windows on adjacent walls.

There is some information here http://thephilippinejournal.wetpaint.com/page/Design about the design of our house. One of the problems we have discovered is because the master bedroom windows are at the top of the arcade roof. Now that the sun is in the south, that roof gets hot and the air flow straight up into our bedroom. We now have to keep those windows closed during the day. If I ever need to change any windows I will seriously look into using double glazing or at least a simple form of secondary glazing. 

There are a number of ways you can improve the comfort of a house here, and using the standard Philippine concrete design and construction is not one of them.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog