Author Topic: Where to get Document needed for Dual Citizenship  (Read 10183 times)

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: Where to get Document needed for Dual Citizenship
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2013, 11:49:41 PM »
Gray wolf

Will Do!

"Ti ubet ko ay Americano, ngem to pusok ket Ilocano!"  Well then I think that makes us "Cousins"  ;) 8)

Works for me, cuz!  Some day we'll meet up and I'll buy you a Vigan Empanada and a cold Red Horse or two!  Second round is on you.   :D :D :) :) :)
Louisville, KY USA

Offline hitekcountry

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2013, 06:03:48 AM »
10-4 8)

Offline hitekcountry

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2013, 11:44:19 AM »
As of today I now officially have Dual Citizenship!! 8)

As I mentioned before my father was a citizen of the Philippines at the time I was born so as a result of that I automatically became a Philippine citizen. And because my mother was a US citizen and also because I was born in the US I was also a US citizen. So in actual fact Iíve always been a Dual Citizen Itís just that because Iíve lived in the US all my life,  the Philippine government knew nothing about me.

As I mentioned in my OP there were a number of documents that I needed to prove to the Philippine Consulate that my Father was a Philippine citizen at the time I was born.

So this is what I brought with me today to the Philippine Consulate in San Francisco:
1   My birth certificate ĖIt states Ė Father Philippine citizen
2   My Fathers certificate of Naturalization Ė The date being 10 years after I was born
3   My Fathers Alien Registration Form Ė Shows all the details when and where he was born and when and how he entered the US. (they preferred to see his birth certificate but fortunately they accepted this in its place)
4   My Parents marriage certificate.
5   Report of birth Ė This is a form that they give you to fill out.
6   Affidavit for delayed registration of birth Ė Another form they give you to fill out.

They told me I should have my Philippine Passport in about two months. :) :)

A HUGE THANK YOU!!  To GREY WOLF You pointed me to the USCIS fee-based genealogy service and thatís where I got the missing documents that I couldnít get anywhere else. Without them I would not have accomplished what I did. Thanks cuz 
----I OWE YOU!!

Offline coleman2347

• ole jarhead, Tacloban City, Leyte
  • Sr Member
  • Retired Marine, Retired DOD
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2013, 05:37:45 PM »
Congratulations!  I am very glad to see you got this accomplished.  I just had a son born here, I'm and American and she is Filipina, I am in the process of getting his passport (Philippines) and then I will declare him to the American Embassy...That should assure his dual citizenship in the future....again Congrats.....Lee
The only thing worse than wanting to do it is not doing it

Offline wildbill

• Sr Member
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2013, 07:09:43 PM »
:) so happy for you yes this site is the Best source for information some of the people here are such a Big help to us all take a pat on your back GW good job ,and congratulations to you.hite

Offline medic3500

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2013, 11:50:09 AM »
Wow I guess Hike put the naysayers out to pasture. If I read this correctly he did in fact obtain his duel citizenship. Way to go.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2013, 10:27:12 PM »
Thanks cuz 
----I OWE YOU!!

A single ice cold Red Horse will suffice, my friend! 

Congrats!!    :) :) :)
Louisville, KY USA

Offline hitekcountry

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2013, 09:02:31 AM »
Quote from: Art, re(tired)
   I even know of U.S. citizens who are Filipinos by birth and they can't even qualify for dual citizenship under RA 9225, because they couldn't show proof of previously being a former Filipino citizen, even though they have birth certificates showing that they were born in the Philippines, also when the day they were born, they were immediately registered with the U.S. Embassy and also left the Philippines using a U.S. passport and not a Filipino passport, meaning they never been a Filipino citizen and or also due to the Jus sanguinis rule which is a "principle of nationality law", so technically you are not a Fil/Am by definition, because you are a full pledge American, because of your actual birth in the U.S.. even with a Filipino nationality by blood relations!     

Maybe that's the loop hole that hitekcountry is looking for which sounds correct, but I believe with one stipulation, that the child or teen before his 18th birthday, must decide whether to become a Filipino or an American Citizen or loose that option with the U.S. Embassy and will be a Filipino Citizen by default beyond his/her 18th birthday or he/she can later legally immigrate to the U.S. petitioned by an immediate family in the U.S., but that's neither here nor there in his situation! So what's his solution since he's already in his late 60s?     

All along Iíve been confused by the discrepancy in Arts statements and my own research and experience, but now I believe I understand the cause for the confusion.

Disclaimer:

The following is my understanding of the law and should not be relied on to make legal decisions; please do your own research.

An important date to remember in the subject of citizenship of a child born to a Filipino parent is January 17 1973, which is the date when the Philippine Constitution came into effect.

A child born after January 17 1973 where either the father or the mother are citizens of the Philippines at the time of the Childs birth, that child is automatically a Philippine citizen. Even If the child is born in another country and notification to the Philippine government is delayed, as soon as the proper documents are provided to the Philippine government, a Philippine birth certificate recognizing Philippine citizenship of the child will be issued.

A child born prior to January 17 1973 it makes huge difference whether itís the father or the mother that is the Filipino.

A child born prior to January 17 1973 to a Filipino mother and letís say an American father, that child is automatically an American citizen but not a Philippine citizen. However that child can elect to be a Philippine citizenship up until the age of 21. After 21 that option is lost.

A child born prior to January 17 1973 to a Filipino father is a Philippine citizen without any need of electing Philippine citizenship upon reaching the age of 21.

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2013, 10:47:00 AM »
The disclaimer I was referring to was: A child born prior to January 17 1973 to a Filipino mother and letís say an American father, that child is automatically an American citizen but not a Philippine citizen. However that child can elect to be a Philippine citizenship up until the age of 21. After 21 that option is lost. In the case of the father being also a Filipino citizen is unusual, but in this case actually happened so therefore correct. So, there's no confusion here, but of one's personal experience, POV and how it was conveyed in print here and so I'll leave it at that as to not to prolong or complicate this issue further!
Immigration laws is a tough nut to crack and therefore best left to the experts in the know, because there's a lot of different situations/circumstances and or exceptions to the rule!   
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 04:54:16 PM by Art, re(tired) Fil/Am »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline Frosty

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2013, 07:49:14 AM »
I'm filling out the application for my wife and kids and have a few questions, hopefully someone has figured this out.

First how many copies do I need? One place it says I need 1 original and 1 duplicate copy. A different place it states I need 1 original and 4 copies.

The processing fee is $50. Will the $50 cover my wife and the two girls or is the processing fee $50 per person for a total of $150?

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2013, 01:40:23 PM »
I'm filling out the application for my wife and kids and have a few questions, hopefully someone has figured this out.

First how many copies do I need? One place it says I need 1 original and 1 duplicate copy. A different place it states I need 1 original and 4 copies.

The processing fee is $50. Will the $50 cover my wife and the two girls or is the processing fee $50 per person for a total of $150?
Don't know about children's processing fees if it's extra, I only helped with my wife's application, 1 original and 3 copies.  The original legal documents were returned and they only kept the original application, NSO certificates with other copies of the original legal documents where there is only one of and difficult to replace and submitted the required forms at the Philippine Consulate in San Francisco, Ca. while vacationing to visit relatives and only took 45 minutes from start to finish, but the Philippine passport she didn't apply for, because it takes 6 months when in the U.S. and just a few weeks doing it in the Philippines, which we didn't have 6 months in the U.S. to wait while just on vacation! So, we were left with extra copies of the application! I don't know about here in the Philippines, but I would assume it would be the same. Eventually, my wife will apply for her Philippine passport if we ever do leave the Philippines again for some reason!
The Identification certification aka the "IC" letter is not valid for travel, because it's just for identification purposes only! On other forums, some say that a Philippine passport is not required after reacquiring one's Philippine citizenship, but I differ with those saying so! I recommend getting the Philippine passport, because it explains the "two passport rule" under the memorandum under RA 9225, but there are others out there that ignores or interrupts the memorandum differently and opted out of getting their Philippine passport! So, each to their own interpretation of the immigration laws, rules and regulations of this country! I didn't make up these laws, rules or regulations to be ignored! As the saying goes, "Ignorance of the Local Laws is no excuse" if one runs into problems with Immigration officials entering or departing this country!     
So, "Don't shoot or Kill the Messenger",  I only provided the information for one's benefit and safety!  ??? :o 
I may be applying for my own dual citizenship and Philippine passport here in Manila before my 6 month visa extension expires next year in February. So, I have plenty of time to apply for my dual citizenship or maybe just apply for my 3rd 6 month visa extension here at our local BI office since I'm a procrastinator of filling out forms and going to the main office in Manila, because I hate going into Manila, which I avoid it like it was the plague, not all of Manila mind you, but just certain areas that are a constant eyesore to the environment!     
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 10:14:28 PM by Art, re(tired) Fil/Am »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline Frosty

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2013, 11:17:41 AM »
Thanks Art
I got a pdf file from the San Francisco embassy, it states I need 1 original and only 1 photocopy of each documents. I think I will play it safe and take 1 original and 3 photocopy's.

The fee is $50 for the principal applicant and $25 for each child-beneficiary.

Offline Frosty

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2013, 10:54:51 PM »
My wife and kids are now Dual Citizens.

First of all thanks to the Philippine American Society of Colorado, all did a great job and made the process painless.

Art is right, my wife only needed 1 original and 1 photocopy of each document. I think you should take 2 photocopy's just in case you do something dumb like spill your coffee on it, you will have a backup out in the car. You get the originals back they just compare them to the copies. So the wife's paper work went very smooth she was finished in less 45 minuets.
The kids can be added to the wife's application as long the birth of the child has been reported to the Phil. Consulate.

The kids were a different story. I had nothing correct with their paper work.
I will start with the oldest. She was born before my wife became a U.S. Citizen, therefor she is a Philippine citizen by birth and it has nothing to do with where the person is born,( she was born in the U.S.). That only applies if you do the paper work. We did not report the birth of the kids to the Philippine Consulate. So that paper work had to be done first then, my oldest became a Dual citizen.
You need the Original supporting documents and 5 photocopies of all documents.

My youngest was born after my wife became a U.S. Citizen. So after We filled out the paper work to report the birth of the youngest and turn it in, she was added to my wife's application and then she got her Dual Citizenship.

The biggest pain in the neck was all the photo copies for each family member.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog