Author Topic: Flooring: Wood Laminate vs. Tile?  (Read 16130 times)

Offline Paul B.

Flooring: Wood Laminate vs. Tile?
« on: January 27, 2013, 01:08:18 AM »
The poor-quality wood laminate flooring in my condo is old, warped, and chipping apart. I'm planning to replace it soon with either tile or new wood laminate.

Wood laminate is a little cheaper than tile, looks somewhat simple to install (maybe simple enough to install myself?) but it has the problem of swelling/warping when wet. If I do go down this route, I will have to be extra careful not to spill anything on it.

Tile I think looks great and there are plenty of colors to choose from. It doesn't have the warping problem and seems easier to clean, but it can break/crack more easily if I drop something on it. It's also more expensive and the installation looks complicated (I'd have to hire an experienced tile setter).

Any thoughts or recommendations? I'm split 50/50 right now.

Offline RUFUS

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
Re: Flooring: Wood Laminate vs. Tile?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 01:59:05 AM »
If the underfloor is concrete, use an epoxy paint.
It is very durable, very cheap, and comes in many colors.
SO SAYETH THE RUFUS

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 10:51:40 AM »
We were originally going to have tiles on the ground floor and wood strips on the second floor but eventually chose to go for all tiles. In the first few months we did have a number of hair line cracks appear on the second floor. This, we believe, was due partly to settlement and also insufficient cement under them. If you tap the tiles you get a hollow sound. If you drop something on a tile floor, the object will most likely break not the tile. Tiles are not difficult to lay, but it is also not expensive to hire someone to do it. You need tiles in the toilet and they are also better for the kitchen so I would recommend using tiles everywhere.

Offline brett4gam

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
  • A happy retired Aussie living a relaxing lifestyle
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 01:09:43 PM »
When we bought our two level condo we decided to put carpet upstairs, being a Facilities Manager in my former employment I have seen too many horror stories with water and a timber laminate floor.

Carpet is great, just have to use the vac on it a few times a week.  Downstairs has the originally laid cheap lino type tiles in the kitchen and the rest of the area.  The plan when we can afford it (quotes of about 70k PHP) is to replace the tiles in the kitchen and entry with real ceramic non slip tiles and carpet the rest of the place.  The hollow sound is because there is not enough cement mix under the tile, knows as a 'drummy' sound.

Have lived in places all tiled in the past and the dust balls rolling around the place sort of turned me off tiling everywhere.

Just my thoughts.

Cheers
Brett.
I have never seen the world brighter and less prosperous.

Offline Paul B.

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 01:30:13 PM »
When we bought our two level condo we decided to put carpet upstairs, being a Facilities Manager in my former employment I have seen too many horror stories with water and a timber laminate floor.

Carpet is great, just have to use the vac on it a few times a week.  Downstairs has the originally laid cheap lino type tiles in the kitchen and the rest of the area.  The plan when we can afford it (quotes of about 70k PHP) is to replace the tiles in the kitchen and entry with real ceramic non slip tiles and carpet the rest of the place.  The hollow sound is because there is not enough cement mix under the tile, knows as a 'drummy' sound.

Have lived in places all tiled in the past and the dust balls rolling around the place sort of turned me off tiling everywhere.

Just my thoughts.

Cheers
Brett.
Interesting. I might have to look into carpet as an option.

Offline paulgee

• Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 06:17:30 PM »
I would follow Colins lead. Our house was built with tile flooring downstairs and wood flooring upstairs (excluding bathrooms). If we had been there during the build we would have gone for tiles upstairs, the wood flooring we have is dark and rather  oppressive. We may replace it one day, when funds allow.

I also assume that the reason tiles are generally used is that they make the rooms cooler, which is why you don't see carpeted rooms in houses in hot countries, presumably they retain the heat. Here in the UK rooms with carpets are always warmer than ones with hard flooring.

Paul
Based in the UK, and part time in our San Fernando, Pampanga house

Offline FMSINC

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 06:49:27 PM »
Use Tile one of the main problems with carpet here is the high humidity and dampness caused if you air condition the room at night in a few months you l have mold growing under the carpet much worse then a few dust balls

Tiles will b cheaper cooler and last longer also

Tom/ Roxas City

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 10:46:13 PM »
We have 18"X18" man made imitation polished granite tiles downstairs and upstairs we have assorted shades of "Nara" hardwood 3/8"X3"X9" floor planks with a shiny polyurethane clear coat finish. Been 12 yrs now and all is still in good condition! A few of the tiles though have air pockets underneath them, but haven't developed any cracks yet! 
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 01:16:41 AM »
Carpeting?  No way with the humidity involved, even with air con. 

We tiled the entire first floor of the family house.  The second floor is concrete, sealed, then painted with an epoxy based paint to give it a soft color.  All floors are kept spotless using the soft walis style broom.   Both floors are easy to clean, impervious to humidity and durable. 

I wouldn't go any other way unless I had the money to build and maintain a mansion, then I'd try hardwood floors upstairs, but never carpeting.  Tom is spot on with the mold problem.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 01:19:55 AM by Gray Wolf »
Louisville, KY USA

Offline brett4gam

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2013, 09:15:27 AM »
No carpet, ok, too much humidity? New York now is 1 degree celcius with 92% humidity, so that means that no one in New York should have carpet?

Manila is currently has 74% humidity.

2 years here in our place now AND NO MOULD.  Go figure.  (And before the spelling Nazi's have a go at me, that is how the word is spelt in my part of the world, British English, so don't bother telling me I have it incorrect.)

If mould is perceived to be such a problem in Philippines why is it used in hotels then?

BK

Offline FMSINC

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2013, 03:32:33 PM »
Glad you like your carpet the one person I know that has it in our are has a mold problem with it

With tile you have a clean floor as you can clean it, plus no odor and stains. Maybe you like your carpet because it reminds you of the Smell of New York City

To Each His Own

Tom / Roxas City

Offline brett4gam

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2013, 04:39:10 PM »
Glad you like your carpet the one person I know that has it in our are has a mold problem with it

With tile you have a clean floor as you can clean it, plus no odor and stains. Maybe you like your carpet because it reminds you of the Smell of New York City

To Each His Own

Tom / Roxas City

I am Australian, never visited U.S.A.  Carpet is common all throughout Australia, including the areas that have high humidity. 

Was just my comment on being comfortable, perhaps it costs too much here for carpet.

I refrain from commenting more as it has been previously pointed out to me that I make too many posts and comments, even though my comments and questions referred to my not understanding many of the American terms and sayings.

BK

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2013, 05:16:09 PM »
Oh crap.
Whatever floats your boat.

Offline RUFUS

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2013, 11:42:24 PM »
I refrain from commenting more as it has been previously pointed out to me that I make too many posts and comments, even though my comments and questions referred to my not understanding many of the American terms and sayings.

BK
As long as you are following forum rules...
Post all the questions and comments you want, that's what the forum is here for.
SO SAYETH THE RUFUS

Offline graham

• Sr Member
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2013, 12:33:58 PM »

Just my thoughts.

Cheers
Brett.

Brett,

Just a thought, you live in Manila right? Are there any carpet places you have seen? I am reasonably certain there is no dealer of room-size carpet here in CDO City. I have seen those imitation Persian carpets at SM, which just look hideous.

I had genuine wool carpets at home. Those were the type you put say, under the dining table and down in the Sala. Horribly expensive, I sold them before I came here, much to my regret. Although, with my house here built on sand, and tracking sand inside, impossible to keep out, I suppose it would have destroyed them in no time.

Graham

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog