Author Topic: Beware if you have a Senior Citizen 20% Discount Card!  (Read 20060 times)

Offline bigrod

• Retired USAF Club Mgmt Supt, Personnel Supt & 1st Sgt
  • Administrator
  • Sr Member
Re: Beware if you have a Senior Citizen 20% Discount Card!
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2014, 06:03:31 PM »
RA 7432:

Sec. 2. Definition of Terms. As used in this Act, the term "senior citizen" shall mean any resident citizen of the Philippines at least sixty (60) years old, including those who have retired from both government offices and private enterprises, and has an income of not more than Sixty thousand pesos (P60,000.00) per annum subject to review by the National Economic and Development Authority (NEDA) every three (3) years.chanrobles virtual law library

Not to many foreigners have an annual income of less than P60,000.00 per annum.  I know I could not live on that per year.

Chuck
Life is  to short not to live it right the first time

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2014, 06:33:16 PM »
Under the old RA7342, the keywords are, any resident citizen of the Philippines at least sixty (60) years old. No mention of any Aliens aka foreigners!

Under RA994, I believe the words following(text) - has an income of not more than Sixty thousand pesos (P60,000.00) per annum subject to review by the National Economic and Development Authority (NEDA) every three (3) has been deleted or suspended, but don't know which.

I also came upon this interesting letter saying that foreign retirees can not be accorded the senior citizen 20% discount card under RA9994.
This letter should clarify and confirm this subject matter! 
http://www.dilg.gov.ph/PDF_File/issuances/legal_opinions/dilg-legalopinions-201481_8f66a09404.pdf

BTW, there is a House Bill 4191 a few years ago to also provide foreign retirees with the senior citizen discount card that was presented, but it has not yet been passed!
http://www.livinginthephilippines.com/forum/index.php?topic=49150.0

« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 07:20:40 PM by Art, just a re(tired) Fil/Am »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • Peace Keeper
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2014, 09:47:45 PM »
IT IS NOT UNLAWFUL.RA7432 allows Aliens to have a senior citizen card lawfully.A lot of researching and i find it.

Welcome to the group.

As others have pointed out, it appears from the written parts of the law, that I have read and others have provided, that a person would have to be a citizen of the Philippines but if you have any links to official sites (Not Blogs, as those are not reliable sources of information) that say otherwise, I and I am sure others would be very interested to see that, please provide them for us.

Also, so we can all get to know you more, could you introduce yourself with a little about yourself and your knowledge of the Philippines in the meet your neighbors section, I have provided the link to make it easier to find. http://www.livinginthephilippines.com/forum/index.php?board=35.0

@Art, thank you for providing that pdf dated March 13, 2012, it pretty well says it all and leaves me no doubt that I am not entitled to a senior card, and since I wish to stay 100% within the laws of the Philippines, I would never wish to get caught with one or even take a senior discount unless I am supposed to be able to.

:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline trev.

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2014, 10:50:07 PM »
Me personally i would never use a senior citizen discount card even if it was legal. It is intended for Filipinos who need the help.
Even in the super markets i would not enter the senior citizen check out line.
How much does one save anyway.

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2014, 11:48:57 PM »
Me personally i would never use a senior citizen discount card even if it was legal. It is intended for Filipinos who need the help.
Even in the super markets i would not enter the senior citizen check out line.
How much does one save anyway.

I would not use a card either if I was given one illegally.  And if the provision is in the law that only anyone with under 60,000 pesos a year is allowed to have one, then no, I would not have one even if the law was passed for foreigners.  If that provision wasn't there and the law was passed for foreigners, you better believe I would jump on it for 20% off an airline ticket or something else high priced too.  Yeah, normally, we have more money to spend than the average Filipino but there are people here who sure can figure out ways to get more of our money than they get from the average Filipino.

As far as not going through the senior citizen line at the supermarket, no, I would not automatically go to that register.  But, if I am standing in a long butt line right next to it and I see nothing but kids going through that register, you better believe I am taking a stroll over to it.  You say, how much would you save?  Well, not going save anything doing that but time.  You have to have a card to get the discount.
Whatever floats your boat.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • Peace Keeper
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2014, 12:06:06 AM »
I believe we have two different situations, one with "senior" and one wirth "senior citizen." In VECO, the power company in Cebu City, the sign I believe says "senior" and the woman at that counter will regularly call up a friend of mine who looks older than me but is actually younger than me by a couple of years, whereas they never call me up and I never go to that counter unless they would call me up to it. In the supermarket I am sure the sign just says senior, so only once my wife had asked the cashier if that meant me too and she waved us up to the register. I know I am not a citizen of the Philippines, so I would never try to use anything that says "senior citizen" but if it says only senior, then I know I am in fact a senior and would consider using that line if I was not feeling well enough to wait on a longer line, so far that only happened to me once in all these years, as I usually stay home when under the weather, so every other time so far I have used regular lines and will continue to do so even if the line only says senior.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2014, 12:14:20 AM »
All you guys wanting to stay in your lines, now I guess I will have to stay in mine also.  The kids cutting ahead of me in my line though after about the sixth one will not happen without something being said.  With my bank though, if I decide not to wait in the long line, I am going to the senior seat since my accounts are authorized for that line.  Oh yeah.  Legally too.  You guys go ahead and wait in line there too but then again, some your banks have preferred lines for preferred customers which you sure like.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • Peace Keeper
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2014, 12:22:45 AM »
Yup we use the preferred line in the bank as we got a preferred card years ago for having an account for so many years with BPI.

I do not fault any of you who use the senior line, we own condos in the Philippines and my wife wishes to live there, or at the very least go home yearly, so therefore I would not wish to end up possibly deported or blacklisted over something as minor as using a line or card I was not allowed to use, and it would be my luck for something like that to happen to me.  :(

Bud and all you other not Filipino guys and gals, please do not do as I do or as I say, do as YOU feel is the correct thing for you to do, I only know what I feel is correct for me to do.

Offline coleman2347

• ole jarhead, Tacloban City, Leyte
  • Sr Member
  • Retired Marine, Retired DOD
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2014, 12:37:58 AM »
Guess Im just stubborn, senior line to me is for old folks, and so far I dont consider myself old...
The only thing worse than wanting to do it is not doing it

• Sr Member
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2014, 01:37:08 AM »
If the provision is in the law that only anyone with under 60,000 pesos a year is allowed to have one, then no, I would not have one even if the law was passed for foreigners.  If that provision wasn't there and the law was passed for foreigners, you better believe I would jump on it for 20% off an airline ticket or something else high priced too.  Yeah, normally, we have more money to spend than the average Filipino but there are people here who sure can figure out ways to get more of our money than they get from the average Filipino.
The P60,000 a year income requirement was only quoted under RA 7432, but when it was amended by RA 9257 and RA 9994, the P60,000 annual income requirement was deleted for an obvious reason, P60,000 a year only comes out to P5,000 a month, where as most foreign retirees makes 20 times more than that a month from their retirement pensions!
So, I would just assume it's no longer a requirement, because it's no where in writing to that effect in both RA 9257 & 9994!
So, IMHO if and whenever HB 4191 passes one of these days and becomes a Republic Act, I would assume that the P60,000 annual income requirement will not be written in for the obvious reason as I mentioned above, because if those foreigners and their Filipino spouses over 60 have the discount cards, they would be in violation of the minimum annual income requirement in the first place under RA 7432! In just saying though...........This program was initially meant for those Filipino senior citizens living in poverty! Are any of us retirees living in poverty here in the Philippines? Maybe but just a few down on their luck!     
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 02:15:42 AM by Art, just a re(tired) Fil/Am »
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline trev.

« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2014, 08:03:48 AM »
I share the same sentiment as Mr. Coleman. I do not consider myself old or senior citizen even though i am. I look, feel and act way younger than my age. Once i went to the barber shop in Florida. They had a $5.00 discount for seniors. Barber charged me the regular price, no discount. I secretly smile to myself and pay up. Well the bank is a different situation. I do not like to go to banks here. Just do not feel safe in banks here. Like to go in and leave ASAP. Usually we get fast treatment at the bank where we bank.

• Sr Member
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2014, 09:02:29 AM »
Guess Im just stubborn, senior line to me is for old folks, and so far I don't consider myself old...
Me personally, I'm not all that vain at my old age over 60, I am what I am, an old grumpy old fart who hates standing and waiting in long lines! Fortunately for me at my old age of 66, a Fil/Am (not a dual citizen) and looking like a Filipino, because I am, my hair is all but gray now, distinguishable to bank tellers, LTO office staff workers, clerks and or cashiers to motion or call me to the front of the line or when there is a sign for a senior citizen's lane, I will definately use it, because standing in long lines makes my back ache due to my lower back chronic condition! 
I don't need a freak'n senior citizen 20% discount card! That is meant for the less fortunate senior citizens living below their means and the handicapped and or senior citizen lane is what it is meant for, as a courtesy and respect for the handicapped, the elderly in general and for us old retired military veterans, disabled or not!         
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 09:11:38 AM by Art, just a re(tired) Fil/Am »
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline suzukig1

• Sr Member
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2014, 10:54:17 AM »
Guess Im just stubborn, senior line to me is for old folks, and so far I dont consider myself old...

All my life people have told me that I look younger than I am.  In my 30s people thought I was in my 20s.  In my 40s people thought I was in my 30s.  When I reached my 50s people thought I was in my 40s.  The other day my wife and I were in a Robinsons Supermarket and an employee waived us over to the senior's line.  He kept insisting but I kept telling him no thanks.  I'm 58.  Oh, well.  I guess my looking young days have past.

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2014, 12:10:28 PM »
Ahhh, we got a few guys who think waiting in a long line is ok and the proper thing to do but for some things, they might think that being able to avoid it is ok acceptable.  I don't how this has become such a complicated and intense subject but all I can say is, if as I said earlier, I am standing in a long line right next to the senior line, a bunch of kids are going through, and I don't see any apparent seniors or whoever are seniors but don't look it heading towards the line, I might just go ahead and go to it if it looks like it would not cause any trouble.  If I was to get caught(???) and that is breaking the law and they want to bounce me out of here over that, then like a few other things, more power to them.

I am not getting discounts or looking for them or taking any offered based on senior status so I am not sweating it.  Not as long it is illegal.  And as far as you guys who all look so young for your ages, that is all fine and dandy too because you know what? Most foreigners and most Filipina and most Filipino (apparently according to Art not him) look young for their ages and if they are not, they are usually still told they that they do.  The whole population here in general pretty much looks young for their ages.

If they were ever to by some chance legalize the senior citizen cards for foreigners, it would sure be interesting to see what percentage of the people who don't want anything to do with it, because of their compassion for poor Filipino seniors, will maintain their current convictions about it when everyone else eligible for it has one, including rich Filipinos with a lot more money then us utilizes it.

Disclaimer:  What I have just said here is not in response to any one certain individual who has posted here.  It is in response to the overall thread and for anyone who has not posted but whose thoughts might not be similar to mine.

• Sr Member
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2014, 12:42:49 PM »
Again, here below is the pdf file for download, showing an official government letter dated March 13, 2012 from the DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR AND LOCAL GOVERNMENT aka the "DILG of the Philippines" in reply to the General Manager's letter from the Philippine Retirement Authority (PRA) in Makati, in which the Director of the DILG, stated that foreign retirees can not be accorded the use of the Philippine's Senior Citizen 20% Discount Card and that they, foreign retirees are not covered under Republic Act 9994 also known as The Expanded Senior Citizens Act of 2010. 

Using Bud's Disclaimer: 
What I have just said here is not in response to any one certain individual who has posted here.  It is in response to the overall thread and for anyone who has not posted but whose thoughts might not be similar to mine or Bud's.
::) :o :D
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 01:20:50 PM by Art, just a re(tired) Fil/Am »
"Que Sera Sera"!

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog