Author Topic: Beware if you have a Senior Citizen 20% Discount Card!  (Read 20083 times)

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
Re: Beware if you have a Senior Citizen 20% Discount Card!
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2014, 02:19:31 PM »
Just to add to my OP, my question would then be - What authority do the Mayors and or City Councilmen from their perspective jurisdiction have in issuing foreign nationals these senior citizen discount cards under RA 9994 when they are not even citizens of the Philippines?  ??? :o 
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 02:21:06 PM by Art, just a re(tired) Fil/Am »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2014, 06:42:17 PM »
I cant understand why it is that my Government give OAP privileges to Filipino`s in the U.K when the same are not offered to us in the R.P.
It has nothing to do with poverty.. Wealthy Filipinos are afforded the same rights and I pay my taxes here like everyone else!
I think I will write to my M.P..See if he bothers to reply!

Offline piozam13

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2014, 10:31:37 PM »
I  have the senior's card because I am entitled to one.  My experience and observation:
When I forget to present my card at restaurants, waiters/waitresses remind me, bigger tips?  But absolutely no discount for alcoholic bevs which may be  the bigger portion of your bill. 
At pharmacies, only prescriptions have discounts.  Nothing for tiger balm, aspirin, etc.
At a beauty parlor, forget it.  They say their industry is not covered.
 I showed my card when paying a hotel bill.  "Sorry, we give a discount only on regular rates.  You are enjoying our promo rate."
On airfares,  I usually book on-line and there's no facility to claim discounts.  I tried calling once and I was told
to go the Manila office which would not be cost effective for me.  One may get a discount on regular fares.
I agree with you.  It's not worth breaking the rules for some discounts. 
Am I happy with the privileges?  Wouldn't you?

• Sr Member
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2014, 10:44:51 PM »
I cant understand why it is that my Government give OAP privileges to Filipino`s in the U.K when the same are not offered to us in the R.P.
It has nothing to do with poverty.. Wealthy Filipinos are afforded the same rights and I pay my taxes here like everyone else!
I think I will write to my M.P..See if he bothers to reply!
I don't know much about UK's senior citizens benefits for other foreigners let alone Filipinos living in the UK, but I don't see the correlation between the UK's OAP vs the RP's senior citizen's 20% discount, because the UK OAP is earned from working so many years. I read somewhere, to claim an OAP, ladies need to be sixty years old and gentlemen need to be sixty five years old, retired and no longer employed, where as the RP's senior citizen's 20% discount is a handout initially established for the poor living in poverty at age 60 with or without a source of income, but if one has an RP pension under the RP's SS program, it is only limited up to P60,000 a year iaw RA7432 to qualify for the senior citizen discount card, but that was before the RA9994 amendment, which apparently did away with the minimum annual income requirement all together! 
The Philippines does have a Social Security program which is more in correlation to UK's OAP! 
As I mentioned in my previous post, RP's House Bill 4191 is awaiting for approval for foreigners to be eligible for the senior citizen discount card!

http://www.mb.com.ph/benefits-for-foreign-senior-citizens-sought/ 
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 10:56:20 PM by Art, just a re(tired) Fil/Am »
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline hitekcountry

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2014, 08:24:03 AM »
There are Wealthy Filipino’s that ask for and get the senior citizen discount. -- True.

There are Filipino’s living on US military pensions that ask for and get the senior citizen discount. – True.

Offline coleman2347

• ole jarhead, Tacloban City, Leyte
  • Sr Member
  • Retired Marine, Retired DOD
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2014, 09:03:15 AM »
As I remember it,  I dont really keep up with it now, one of the sticking points in the US is that almost everybody within the borders of the US. legal or not, can avail themselves of almost the same privileges as a US citizen.
For those here not from the US, that means, schools, medical, etc.  For the states in the US that are border states the problem is huge. 
Though when I was there I never availed myself of any of those privileges, I can not remember ever seeing anybody removed from any line, because they were of any different nationality or race..
Having said that, I asked Maline if any of her relatives, to her knowledge had the card. I guess we have about 15 that I know of that are eligible by age.  She said she didn't think so.
So I wonder, is this card mostly used in the cities? Because it seems that in the provinces it is either not known, or not used. 
For me, and honestly I don't pay much attention to things like this card, I had never heard of it until this topic was posted.
I wonder how many foreigners even know of it..much less try to avail themselves of the program.
The only thing worse than wanting to do it is not doing it

• Sr Member
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2014, 09:06:34 AM »
There are Wealthy Filipino’s that ask for and get the senior citizen discount - True.
There are Filipino’s living on US military pensions that ask for and get the senior citizen discount – True.
That's only true after RA 7432 was amended with RA 9994 in it's place, because the minimum annual income of P60,000 is no longer a requirement, where it was originally a requirement under RA 7432 and the applicant is age 60 and over and a resident senior citizen of the Philippines!
I know of non-Filipino citizens with 13a/g visa holders and Balikbayans, including foreign retirees who are not even citizens and or dual citizens of the Philippines and are using the senior citizen 20% discount cards!
They're in for a rude awakening, if they ever get caught using the senior citizen discount cards! Is it worth it taking that chance for a mere 20% discount and one isn't authorized or qualified to use the discount card?

Read the BIR's Penalties and other Sanction under Section 13 which involves with using the senior citizen discount card illegally, especially aliens and or foreigners!

http://ncmb.dswd.gov.ph/phocadownload/adminorders/bir%20rev.%20reg%207-2010.pdf
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 09:58:52 AM by Art, just a re(tired) Fil/Am »
"Que Sera Sera"!

• Sr Member
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2014, 10:54:54 AM »
There are Wealthy Filipino’s that ask for and get the senior citizen discount - True.
There are Filipino’s living on US military pensions that ask for and get the senior citizen discount – True.
BTW, the keywords under RA 9994 states "Resident Filipino senior citizens"!
Some Filipinos may be wealthy and or receiving U.S. military pensions, but not all are citizens and or dual citizens of the Philippines! So therefore, they are considered aliens and or foreigners immigration status wise! 
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 10:56:53 AM by Art, just a re(tired) Fil/Am »
"Que Sera Sera"!

• Sr Member
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2014, 02:30:31 PM »
As I remember it,  I dont really keep up with it now, one of the sticking points in the US is that almost everybody within the borders of the US. legal or not, can avail themselves of almost the same privileges as a US citizen.
For those here not from the US, that means, schools, medical, etc.  For the states in the US that are border states the problem is huge. 
Though when I was there I never availed myself of any of those privileges, I can not remember ever seeing anybody removed from any line, because they were of any different nationality or race..
Having said that, I asked Maline if any of her relatives, to her knowledge had the card. I guess we have about 15 that I know of that are eligible by age.  She said she didn't think so.
So I wonder, is this card mostly used in the cities? Because it seems that in the provinces it is either not known, or not used. 
For me, and honestly I don't pay much attention to things like this card, I had never heard of it until this topic was posted.
I wonder how many foreigners even know of it..much less try to avail themselves of the program.
Well Lee,
Maybe it's because trying to get these benefits here in the Philippines and trying to use them is more of a hassle then it's worth due to the paperwork alone is sometimes overwhelming, especially TRICARE if you and your entire family are enrolled in DEERS for being retired military! Look at it this way, the more benefits one can get, the less comes out of our pockets like under TRICARE's Demo program where one only pays the 25% co-share and including what is referred to as the "Other Insurance" (OTI) aka PhilHealth, is another 30 to 40% off on most medical costs. If your wife is old enough to get her own senior citizen discount card, there's another 20% off on her medical expenses!
So, every little bit helps to cut down on your over all medical expenses almost to down to zero, only if the paperwork is done correctly and doesn't overwhelm you to process and living on a fixed retirement income doesn't make it any easier for us retirees living in the Philippines when living expenses are constantly going up in cost!     
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 02:45:52 PM by Art, just a re(tired) Fil/Am »
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline cvgtpc1

• Sr Member
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2014, 03:03:12 AM »
I think what Lee is talking about is a senior discount card for discounts in restaurants, grocery, bus rides, etc.  My mother in law has one and got it when she lived in Samar.  When we're out together I have her pay for everything to get the discount.  It's realy not much of a deal, plus they log it so it takes time, but hey a peso is a peso.  I get the impression that who takes it gets reimbursed by the govt.

• Sr Member
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2014, 05:45:46 AM »
What you are describing is actually what this topic is all about, the Philippine's senior citizen 20% discount card under RA 9994

The below comments have not been honored by some establishments, because they seem not to know the rules and guidelines under RA 9994 and will only insist on seeing the actual senior citizen discount card, but according to this author it's not mandatory to show the actual card, which IMO defeats the purpose of having the card in the first place and some establishments probably think that also in the same way as I did, but I also know of friends over 60 who have forgotten their card at home and their P.I. driver's license was OK to use as an alternate form of I.D. to get their 20% discount! So, the article below is factual!
I also know that a few of them are not even citizens of the Philippines and some are foreigners who have the cards and therefore using them illegally! Oh well! :o

Disclaimer:
This article below is a new one on me, because the comments below are from the person who wrote this article and I personally have not seen or read these comments below in these actual words before in the RA 9994 pdf format in it's entirety.

http://www.manilatimes.net/avail-perks-elderly-without-presenting-senior-citizens-id/115794/

Avail of perks for the elderly without presenting senior citizen’s ID

Such discounts and other privileges are availed of primarily by presenting documents establishing their status as senior citizens. And in connection with this, the senior citizen identification card is the primary document used to avail of these discounts and privileges.
Senior citizens, however, can still avail of their privileges even without a senior citizen ID if they can present other valid documents showing their identification and age. The Implementing Rules and Regulations of RA 9994 enumerates the documents that can be presented aside from a senior citizen’s ID that will allow them to avail of the benefits and privileges for senior citizens: (continue on to the link above to read more of the details by the author of this article)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 06:45:07 AM by Art, just a re(tired) Fil/Am »
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline cvgtpc1

• Sr Member
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2014, 06:50:08 AM »
In my observations of it's use I don't think it's 20% across the board.  I think the amount depends on where and what you use it for.  Unless the vendors are giving less and being reimbursed for the full 20% in the places I've been....

Offline piozam13

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2014, 07:12:44 AM »
In my observations of it's use I don't think it's 20% across the board.  I think the amount depends on where and what you use it for.  Unless the vendors are giving less and being reimbursed for the full 20% in the places I've been....

Right!  Even if my husband is a senior, he doesn't get a discount.  The 20% applies to my order only, or on half of total less drinks.

Offline bigrod

• Retired USAF Club Mgmt Supt, Personnel Supt & 1st Sgt
  • Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2014, 08:56:41 AM »
Art,

The article you reference is correct.  RA 9994 section 4 list what can be used instead of Senior Citizen card.  It must be a document that shows you are a citizen of the Philippines and 60 years old. 

Chuck
Life is  to short not to live it right the first time

• Sr Member
« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2014, 11:59:31 AM »
Thanks Chuck for the info! My eyes have been tired lately from reading too much!  ??? :o 
"Que Sera Sera"!

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog