Author Topic: Fences.....best options to start with  (Read 15475 times)

Offline graham

• Sr Member
Re: Fences.....best options to start with
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2013, 12:57:30 PM »
Hey Graham

That sounds like it might work.....We probably will go for cement posts also.

Did you have to build your sea wall 20 meters back from the water?
Our beach is only about 10 meters then up an embankment to our land.
Ive read the rule is 20 meters back.

Thanks
Murph

Murph,

Sorry for the delay, I've been sick with the flu. There was a vacant lot in front of mine,
so the seawall was there before I purchased. The ocean took back the land and now
when it's high tide the water level is close to 60% up the wall. At low tide it is about
10M from the wall. I have doubled the thickness, and height of the wall, and as well, I put in a "re-curve" at the top of the wall, so that the high tide waves are thrown back on themselves. Helps to tame them every so often. You should feel the house "judder" slightly when the big ones roll into the wall.

During "Ondoy" in 2007 half the wall length was destroyed and I nearly lost the house.
That was just 3 days after I purchased it. Hence the renovation of the wall. From the wall to the house was a huge swimming pool, which the local kids enjoyed immensely. We had waves going into the house thru the broken windows. The house was empty of furnishings at the time. Made for exciting times. Now we look back nostalgically over photo's and remember the tense times.

As far as bamboo goes, I had Bok Bok in it and about 6 months after putting up, all were gone. No treatment. I put it down to being close to the beach and salt water.

Steven,

I purchased the thickest wire I could find here in CDO. Not a lot of choice here mate.

Graham 

Offline Palawan Aussie

• Sr Member
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2013, 06:32:16 PM »
Im hoping the builder we hire is a veteran bamboo guy. ....but Now I know what to watch for...and ask about....thanks! Murph

If you decide on concrete posts and bamboo for your fences, I would suggest you check your local Narra by-laws. Just along the highway from you in Puerto Princesa City they've recently banned bamboo use for fencing. The reason for this being that the wired together verticle shafts of bamboo comprising the fence will each collect fresh rainwater, just enough to each form an ideal mozzie breeding place. These takes ages to dry. As malaria has been known in the area (although it's unusual) the local government is trying to eradicate such mozzie breeding spots. Just a heads-up that may apply to the Narra area.

Cheers,
Stephen

Offline Murphy

• Sr Member
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2013, 11:43:23 PM »
Thanks for the info guys.
Its funny....every time I think I have an option..Bamboo fence....something pops up. I keep telling the wife, building there is like a riddle....not even close to "cut and dry".

Cement and barbed wire will work...if we can be sure it doesnt interfere with regulations on the waterfront :D

I keep telling my wife about termites....she just brushes it off like I worry too much. She says they dont bother hardwood...which we plan on using on the house. Wow...now Im in my other post....about wood homes.

Well, we now have a contact and resource for our building...be it a fence or house. My wife has a cousin who is a building engineer....and does real nice work.....one step closer.

Murph

Offline wildbill

• Sr Member
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2013, 09:46:32 PM »
Think again -Don't you Believe Termite wont eat Hard woods rite now I'm replacing all my ceilings  because of Termites damage and my house is only 1 year old  wood is wood to Termites unless its really treated good but my wood was treated and now they are having a party.I'm replacing my ceiling with c-tubeing and Hardiflex Boards let em Bit that.

Offline John Edwards

• Sr Member
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2013, 12:40:07 AM »
There used to be a company here in the US that made ceiling panels called Siletex. It is very light and it's soft. Not sure what that stuff was made from so I donít know it the bugs will eat it or not. I was wondering about using that on the ceilings there, if it is available.
I have been in those nicer houses there and with their tile floors, sheetrock or cement walls and ceilings they were very loud. Any noise reverberated all through the house. These ceiling panels with all their perforated holes works as a sound deadener and would go along way in quieting things down. 
I am aware that carpet is not really a good option there so floor rugs will be the way to go. Iím also not above going all redneck or arab and hanging the rugs on the walls too. I know having it totally quiet is a fantasy but I can try. I canít do much about what goes on outside but inside I can do my best.

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2013, 07:06:58 AM »
Think again -Don't you Believe Termite wont eat Hard woods

We had termites eat books in a Ipil bookcase but did not touch the case. We also have a family house where termites destroyed all the wood walling but did not touch the Gemalina ceiling joists. I have seen hardwoods in 50+ year old wooden houses that have not been touched while the rest of the building gets slowly chewed away. On Palawan we have a particularly hungry strain of termites.

Offline Murphy

• Sr Member
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2013, 10:54:10 AM »

We had termites eat books in a Ipil bookcase but did not touch the case. We also have a family house where termites destroyed all the wood walling but did not touch the Gemalina ceiling joists. I have seen hardwoods in 50+ year old wooden houses that have not been touched while the rest of the building gets slowly chewed away. On Palawan we have a particularly hungry strain of termites.

Hi Colin

What are you saying then....with the 50+ comment?........depends on the wood....or location?
What about coco wood?...I know it has to be aged.
This termite topic seems to be coming up a lot here at home....I say beware termites...she says what type of wood....not hard wood.....I say I dont know?
Another riddle I guess.
But I do lean towards your guys experience....shhh...dont let my wife know.

Murph

Offline Murphy

• Sr Member
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2013, 11:19:43 AM »
Our beach front.

Offline Murphy

• Sr Member
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2013, 11:32:40 AM »
Our property that we want fenced......goes back about 3 acres.

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2013, 03:24:25 PM »
3 acres? Why ever for unless there's profit to be made utilizing the land and as long as the property tax doesn't eat it all up first! A neighbor/friend of mine inherited some land a few years ago and the property tax is around P800,000 a year and probably has some unpaid back taxes owing still from previous years! Now he's trying to figure out what to do with the land, but his other family and relatives are still living on the property and won't budge and not paying a dime towards the property tax! He has spent money fencing the entire property, but squatters still gets in and steals the fruits off his trees! He has thousands of mango trees, but he can't afford the money for a care taker to manage them and so the trees won't bare any mangoes, but only a few not worth harvesting for profit!       
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 03:46:59 PM by Art2ro »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline wildbill

• Sr Member
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2013, 07:56:14 PM »
very nice place Murphy

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2013, 08:06:52 PM »

Hi Colin

What are you saying then....with the 50+ comment?........depends on the wood....or location?
What about coco wood?...I know it has to be aged.

Murph

It was definitely the wood, it was as hard as concrete, no termite would risk it's teeth on it :)

I have seen coco lumber described as termite food which explains why they are often found nesting in the roots. However, like most wood, it does depend which part of the trunk it comes from. I made some shelf supports with it, but never again, it is a very difficult wood to work.

Offline wildbill

• Sr Member
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2013, 08:10:31 PM »
I think Ive seen that wood my wife wants some for the porch as tables but it costs alot.

Offline Murphy

• Sr Member
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2013, 10:23:19 PM »
The property is a long strip....about 39 meters wide. If we used the border trees for a fence...we would lose some property...they are not on the property line......but a good Idea anyways.

Our taxes currently for our land is 6 dollars a year........I pay 1000 a year in the U.S.
Its not agricultural property....so its cheaper.

It seems I could open a topic on termites alone...I almost did with the post "Building a House with Wood"
Maybe when I get educated on the woods that are termite resistant...Ill make a list of them....good and bad.

PS...Its good the photo attachment program works now...can add pics right from my PC...no photobucket.

Murph

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2013, 10:47:09 PM »
6 dollars a year here in the RP? That's unheard of! $1,000 a year in the U.S., not unheard of, but still not too bad either! 
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog