Author Topic: Fences.....best options to start with  (Read 15232 times)

Offline Murphy

• Sr Member
Fences.....best options to start with
« on: February 02, 2013, 01:07:06 AM »
Hi Guys

I have beach property in Palawan....Narra.

The wife and I need to start getting it ready....or make it look owned or occupied...so to speak.
Besides cutting brush down...we think a temporary fence should be the first step.
We are in the U.S. still.

What type of fence should we go with temporarily?.....I know concrete is a major job......but we just want to enclose our area....to keep the neighbors from letting their buffalo...or cows stomp our area down. When we visited....we had cows on the beach...huh? :o
Our tour guide kindly asked them to move them off our area.

Plus....there is a man-made road going through our land....we want to make sure with something temporary...that their wont be any issues or trouble.
There was a different road built...at the rear of the properties... to take the place of the old man made road.

Anyway....Im thinking posts and barbed wire?.......Its 3 hectares....but we may only fence the area closer to the beach...depending on cost.
Can you give a rough estimate of cost also......thanks Guys

Murph

Offline RUFUS

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
Re: Fences.....best options to start with
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 04:35:15 AM »
I'm not sure about your locale, but most beaches in the Philippines are government owned(YMMV), so fencing it off may not be an option.
But...
Barbed wire is pretty inexpensive.
Split bamboo is pretty inexpensive.
A line of piled dark rocks will curb most bovine incursions, as they will not step over it, but will not stop bipeds.
Also, unless you/yours maintain a permanent presence there to shoo the unwanted's away, a fence may not mean squat to the neighbors and you will probably return to it torn down.
SO SAYETH THE RUFUS

Offline Big Jim

• Retired soon
  • Sr Member
    • Big Jims Philippines Experience
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 08:08:57 AM »
I'm not sure about your locale, but most beaches in the Philippines are government owned(YMMV), so fencing it off may not be an option.
You can't own the beach but you can get a fore shore lease or some name like, on the beach in front of your property, that which allows you to build picnic cottages on it.

The best fence is hollow block. My suggestion is you only build the fence once and build it from hollow block.
I used to wonder what it would be like to read other people's minds.

Then I got a facebook account and now I am over it.

Offline FMSINC

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 08:11:46 AM »
Murphy, To keep the cows out use at least 4 strands of Barb Wire I would suggest you make cement posts as the bamboo poles will only last a few months even Mahogany posts will only last at most 2 years

I have been making post using 9 MM rebar I use 3pcs rebar per post with triangle collars welded to the lengths of rebar ever 12 inches or so

I tried one large rebar in the center of the post but if the bull pushes against it the post will crack

Building a fence however may cause you additional problems as it will alert the professional squatters if any in your area that the lot has an owner that plans to build in the future you may find 10 squatter familes living there when you return

Then the fun will begin

Good Luck to you

Tom / Roxas City

Offline Murphy

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 08:47:37 AM »
Lets see.....

The beach is technically not ours......theres about 15 feet of sand before the water....then a small slope up to our property....a calm inlet type of area.
We just plan on fencing around the house....maybe back further later. The beach is open to everyone....but...theres not many people living there.....and the other strips of property were sold next to us also. Its just a jungle type area now...with one caretaker next to our property.

So....squaters actually gravitate towards property that may be developed??....or that is owned.?

Man...its hard to get a grasp on where to start.....one issue after another.
I want at least something done before we pack up and move.
Will any trees or plants survive if we have them planted??.....for future use.

Its strange...things appear so simple....but are actually just as complicated as modern countries.

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 10:12:46 AM »
I would suggest buying 2 metre concrete posts and install them every 3 metres with 3-6 strands of barbed wire. When we bought our lot there was a 6 strand fence along one side and we added a 3 strand fence around the rest of the lot. We then tied Buho (thin bamboo) to the wire to give some privacy. This doesn't last long but is cheap to replace. We plan to replace this with hollow block walls later.

I would not worry about squatters where your lot is, and planting trees should not be a problem.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 10:16:08 AM by Colin »

Offline Murphy

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2013, 11:50:14 AM »
I would suggest buying 2 metre concrete posts and install them every 3 metres with 3-6 strands of barbed wire. When we bought our lot there was a 6 strand fence along one side and we added a 3 strand fence around the rest of the lot. We then tied Buho (thin bamboo) to the wire to give some privacy. This doesn't last long but is cheap to replace. We plan to replace this with hollow block walls later.

I would not worry about squatters where your lot is, and planting trees should not be a problem.

Hi Collin

Thanks for the advice....my wife mentioned concrete post with barbed wire also......plus....we would consider it temporary until we arrived.
We are about 10 minutes from the highway..on a rough road from Narra....we pass the vice mayors house on the way in. Good news with the squaters....not really populated back there. Also, being able to plant fruit before hand.....is a plus.

Collin...I know you are north....we would be south....do you know someone named John?
Lived in the prison compound for a while? I spoke with hime a couple years ago....he was in Narra also.

Thanks for the info

Murph

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2013, 12:09:36 PM »

Hi Collin

Thanks for the advice....my wife mentioned concrete post with barbed wire also......plus....we would consider it temporary until we arrived.
We are about 10 minutes from the highway..on a rough road from Narra....we pass the vice mayors house on the way in. Good news with the squaters....not really populated back there. Also, being able to plant fruit before hand.....is a plus.

Collin...I know you are north....we would be south....do you know someone named John?
Lived in the prison compound for a while? I spoke with hime a couple years ago....he was in Narra also.

Thanks for the info

Murph

Some of my wifeís family work for the Prison authorities in Inagawan Prison farm and before we moved here we used to regularly stay there for many weeks. I have not heard any mention of a foreigner named John living there. It could have been Montible or Iwahig, but I think I would also have heard about them there as well. I wonder if you are thinking about me, I have a vague recollection of someone buying land near Narra.

I have seen a reference to a thorn bush, canít remember the name, that makes an excellent hedge and will even stop goats.

Offline Murphy

• Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2013, 12:43:17 PM »
For some reason....Im thinking your are from the U.K......or Australia.
The person I Skyped or spoke  with was a John.....American. Had a like a co-op or community who shared food.
Was a member here at one time. 
Non the less....I will be looking for your posts....and probably asking questions pertaining to Palawan.
Hope the Typhoon didnt do too much damage...I read it was north.

Thanks Again

Murph

Offline wildbill

• Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2013, 08:04:56 PM »
my fence is cement posts like colin said and I put Barbed wire spaced 6 inches apart let them try and step on it I did to trim and it went rite threw my big rubber boots into my foot lets say not a good feeling ..go up maybe 5 feet that will keepem out...

Offline graham

• Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2013, 11:43:26 AM »
Murph,

I live right on the beach in CDO City. I would "NOT" recommend barbed wire.
I had it on top of my seawall and it rotted away in less than 6 months. Just
fell apart at the touch of my hand.

I used, for my fencing around the house, coco lumber. 3x2 posts every 8 feet.
 3 of 2x2 rails for each panel, and bamboo for the infill. These generally lasted me
2-3 years. I am, this year doing it in blocks.

One suggestion, that I was thinking of doing, was making cement posts in form-work
using 4 or 6" plastic pipe cut in half lengthwise, then band the 2 halves back together
using wire etc.
Put thick aluminium strips thru the plastic pipe, prior to pouring in the concrete, to
bolt/screw the rails of the fence to. Pour the concrete in, let set, then seperate the
2 halves. This way your posts last a long time and you just need to replace rails and
bamboo infill.

Graham   

Offline Murphy

• Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2013, 11:58:12 AM »
Hey Graham

That sounds like it might work.....We probably will go for cement posts also.

Did you have to build your sea wall 20 meters back from the water?
Our beach is only about 10 meters then up an embankment to our land.
Ive read the rule is 20 meters back.

Thanks
Murph

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2013, 06:25:59 PM »
Murph,

I live right on the beach in CDO City. I would "NOT" recommend barbed wire.
I had it on top of my seawall and it rotted away in less than 6 months. Just
fell apart at the touch of my hand.

I used, for my fencing around the house, coco lumber. 3x2 posts every 8 feet.
 3 of 2x2 rails for each panel, and bamboo for the infill. These generally lasted me
2-3 years. I am, this year doing it in blocks.

One suggestion, that I was thinking of doing, was making cement posts in form-work
using 4 or 6" plastic pipe cut in half lengthwise, then band the 2 halves back together
using wire etc.
Put thick aluminium strips thru the plastic pipe, prior to pouring in the concrete, to
bolt/screw the rails of the fence to. Pour the concrete in, let set, then seperate the
2 halves. This way your posts last a long time and you just need to replace rails and
bamboo infill.

Graham

Graham, your barbed wire corroded because of the salt sea air, our wire is nearly five years old and still sound. The bamboo infill only lasts around three years.

I like the idea of your plastic pipe for a post form. I was thinking of making a larger split form from plywood lined with metal sheet and bolted together. I wonder if I could use two lengths of square downpipe cut diagonally and used for the corners of a mold?

Offline wildbill

• Sr Member
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2013, 08:57:50 PM »
where do you buy your Barbed wire mine is thick very thick the wire here at the back next to the Beach is 18 years old and rusty a little bit but not even close to rotten.dont buy junk thin as papper and it wont rot so fast.

Offline Palawan Aussie

• Sr Member
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2013, 11:34:43 PM »
Hi guys,

Interesting and sensible questions Murphy, and one can well understand your thinking regarding your new block of land.

You've chosen a nice place to own your land and to build. Heading south from Puerto Princesa City, along the good national highway, Aborlan and then Narra are certainly nice areas. Narra is not a 'crowded' area, being an almost completely farming area. Obviously the soil is good, and from our experience Narra people are gentle, honest, very friendly and certainly sincere. In other words, your normal Phils provincial/farming folk. By that I mean, gentle, god-fearing & family loving. Normal people.

As Colin says, I'm sure you will enjoy living there. I'd also listen to things Colin says about Palawan etc building matters. He knows what he's talking about. In terms of your first steps, a fence is a good idea. If it was me, i would contact someone in PPC such as http://sulit.com.ph/6817995 for your concrete building posts and materials. They can also arrange for workers, and I would not pay more than say 200/300 peso a day for each worker (around $6) and 400p for your foreman.
Ideally, you really should be there to supervise matters, (eg hole depths etc) and to supply 'snacks' to ensure best results. Note: We have NO business connection with this company what-so-ever, and simply suggest them from our own experience and, as always, your milage may vary. 

We would also suggest you have a surveyor double check your land boundaries (8-10k peso?) and also check that your Land Title IS actually officially registered and accurate, just to be sure and before you build anything at all on your land, even just the fence. Also, just one more thing, if you decide on bamboo between your posts, and that's just fine for 3-5 years while you get organized, then I'd definitely go for Cuyo Island bamboo. It's harder and stronger (and so better) than the local varieties.

I must say, if you want to build you own fence, the split plastic-pipe former sounds an excellent idea. Thank you, gentlemen.

Cheers,
Stephen

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog