Author Topic: Fences.....best options to start with  (Read 15428 times)

Offline Murphy

• Sr Member
Re: Fences.....best options to start with
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2013, 07:23:13 AM »
Hi Stephen

Thanks for the info!!
Where in Palawan are you located?......did Narra get any damage from the typhoon?

We had the lot looked at again by a survey crew....we visited and took a look.

Question about seawalls.
Ive read you can only build 20 meters back from the water...
Well our beach or the sand is about 10 meters...then a small embankment up to our lot.

Do we need to leave 10 meters of our yard open to the public?......10 beach...10 grass.=20 meters.
I kind of thought a fence could run up to the sand or embankment at least.

Thanks
Murph

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2013, 08:52:54 AM »

Question about seawalls.
Well our beach or the sand is about 10 meters...then a small embankment up to our lot.

Do we need to leave 10 meters of our yard open to the public?......10 beach...10 grass.=20 meters.

Thanks
Murph

The question of sea wall setback has been discussed before. I seem to remember that the 20M applied to city areas and it was 10M for the provinces. I could be wrong so you need to check, I would suggest the planning department for your area.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 09:59:14 AM by Colin »

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2013, 09:57:19 AM »

I'd also listen to things Colin says about Palawan etc building matters. He knows what he's talking about.

I have posted my experiences in building including all the mistakes we made in the hope that others will not repeat them. I make no claim to be any sort of expert. The building industry here is full of Ďexpertsí who are strapped for cash and have done nothing more than help a mate with a small building project. There are good builders around but you have to get recommendations and see their previous work.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 10:00:05 AM by Colin »

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2013, 04:02:05 PM »
20 meters salvage zone is from high tide mark. You need a fencing permit which involves an engineers plan that has been OK`d by your local Municipal.. We always use the Municipal engineer for faster processing.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 04:04:07 PM by fred »

Offline Palawan Aussie

• Sr Member
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2013, 05:40:32 PM »
G'day Murph,

Hi Stephen, Thanks for the info!! Where in Palawan are you located?......did Narra get any damage from the typhoon?  Thanks  Murph

Ahh, no worries mate. Though, same as Colin has said, we are certainly not building experts. My wife and I are living in Puerto Princesa City, with relatives, at their apartment block. We are about to build a house (design yet to be decided) not far from here. Right now I'm in Australia, but will be back this month. So, I don't know about Narra and any typhoon damage. But, one must say, typhoon damage is very rare on Palawan, it's well away from the Phils typhoon alley. Anyway do keep in touch Murph, we should meet up sometime maybe. We appear to have a common interest in terms of solid but non-spendy and maybe non-conventional housing design and construction. Of course there's nothing at all wrong with hollow-block and formed walls etc, but, we sort of may like something a little different maybe. Who knows? Palawan being earthquake and typhoon free, and a tropical climate, opens up a whole new world of non-traditional, although permanent, housing possibilities. We might explore some. And from your posts in other threads, it appears you're thinking the same? Whatever. Anyone else reading this please feel very welcome to point to alternate housing design, in appropriate site threads now or previously. :-)

Cheers,
Stephen

Offline Murphy

• Sr Member
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2013, 11:27:46 PM »
Hey

We are actually looking at bamboo for a house build, Im including two links as a general Idea.
Im not sure how well local builders could duplicate though. Heres what we have in mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=bPYiJfnspzk&feature=endscreen

http://www.bambooliving.com/

Before our next visit....Ill have to contact a few of you....perhaps meet up....depending on your location.
We stayed at the Hotel Centro last visit.....not next time though....maybe more native...less spendy.
I really liked the "Ka Liu" restaraunt...spelling?....I heard many different accents at the bar.

Stephen....keep us posted on your build....Im interested.

Murph

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2013, 12:00:18 AM »
A friend of mine built a bamboo house on southern Negroes Occidental.  I have permission to share the photos as long as I keep his identity and location private, so don't ask.   ;)   All images are clickable thumbnails

He built a concrete center support with the area under the house the "receiving area".  Inside the concrete support walls are the washing machine and other utility connections, as well as interior stairway to the living level:

He then constructed a coco lumber, hardwood and bamboo house on top:

Inside the house he has a modern, tiled CR:

The rest is breathable bamboo walls and floors, even furniture!  He says he's not yet had problems with either wind or rain, much less termites.  He used treated bamboo, then covered it all under several coats of clear finish.

Coffee bar and kitchen:

No need for aircon, the walls breathe!

View from kitchen to living room:

The lot is fully fenced and with the house raised off the ground, there's plenty of room for the vehicle as well as a place for the dogs to get out of the rain and sun and have free roam to guard the property.  Total cost was around $30,000 because he insisted on the best quality materials, fixtures and appliances available.

I could live like this!   :)
Louisville, KY USA

Offline Murphy

• Sr Member
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2013, 12:32:40 AM »
Hey Greywolf

You posted these pics for me in another post...."Building with wood" I think it was.
Thanks for the info.....it is what is driving our ideas. We have a lot of old coco trees....not producing much....thought about harvesting some for building....but not sure drying time would ruin that idea.
I know we need permits to cut and replant.
I think we have to get past the fence first....even if we arent there yet....a lot of unexpected obsticals in my mind....20 meters from shore....permits...right of ways...materials...so on.

Here in MN.....I just told the neighbor Im putting up a fence.....then he says cool and volunteers to help.....done in one weekend. Im hoping...one step at a time will get us to eventually living there.....plus help from my wifes aunt....she did all the leg work when we purchased the land....plus she has helped construct a school before....details I mean. She knows a lot of Like minded religious folks there....a tight group...nice people.
I just turned 50....so the race is on.

Murph

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2013, 12:33:46 AM »
Looks like a good country style living! We prefer the modern suburban lifestyle without the farm animals and where everything is centrally located! It's all about each to their own preferences in life.
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline Murphy

• Sr Member
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2013, 01:18:15 AM »
I guess its country living......but is also like a paradise.....with the beach and all.
Here a video of the place...our lot is near the end.

Small | Large

Murph

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2013, 06:39:26 AM »
Murphy.. There is something very important that you need to know about bamboo. As soon as its cut,it needs to be prepared and fast.
This native material will last for many years once it is seasoned correctly but its not as easy as you may think!
Once cut and skin removed it is immediately attacked by BOK BOK which is a flying termite that can bore up to an 1/8the hole right through to the center over night. Once in it lays eggs which hatch and feed off and eat the bamboo... If you leave an untreated off cut nearby you can often observe them flying around it around 4.00/ 5 PM.
An infected 20 foot length of Bamboo can be consumed in around 4 months.. Bok bok`s favourite meal is fresh unseasoned bamboo and mahogany.
Treatment.
Once delivered cut and skin is stripped,put it in the sea! Let it soak there for at least 2 weeks.  Once dried it needs to be treated with Brown woodsaver.. They have a clear woodsaver which is ineffective from experience.
If you want a light colour finish then just use clean or  used motor oil as this is something bok bok cannot cope with..when dry apply second coat of oil.
Just make sure the holes at either end have had an oil or woodsaver coating.
Then its safe to start working with.. After the oil or brown woodsaver has completely dried then its ready for varnish..
Also be sure that concrete foundations completely cover timber so that it has no connection with the soil or your biggest problem will be Anay. (underground termites)

Please, learn from my mistakes as I learned the hard way!!
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 07:02:53 AM by fred »

Offline Murphy

• Sr Member
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2013, 07:30:47 AM »
Hey Fred

I thought your large nippa home was trouble free?
Did you have issues with that build?......termites?

Im hoping the builder we hire is a veteran bamboo guy. ....but Now I know what to watch for...and ask about....thanks!

Was hoping to see some indoor pics of your big nippa.

Murph

Offline Big Jim

• Retired soon
  • Sr Member
    • Big Jims Philippines Experience
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2013, 09:07:58 AM »
I have ideas for an airconless house.

This is very much it except for these additions
- Trees all around
- verandah all around, not just at the front.
- It is not obvious what orientation the house is on. But I would have the sides of the house facing east west. So there is no direct light into the house in the morning and evening.

A friend of mine built a bamboo house on southern Negroes Occidental.  I have permission to share the photos as long as I keep his identity and location private, so don't ask.   ;)   All images are clickable thumbnails

He built a concrete center support with the area under the house the "receiving area".  Inside the concrete support walls are the washing machine and other utility connections, as well as interior stairway to the living level:

He then constructed a coco lumber, hardwood and bamboo house on top:

Inside the house he has a modern, tiled CR:

The rest is breathable bamboo walls and floors, even furniture!  He says he's not yet had problems with either wind or rain, much less termites.  He used treated bamboo, then covered it all under several coats of clear finish.

Coffee bar and kitchen:

No need for aircon, the walls breathe!

View from kitchen to living room:

The lot is fully fenced and with the house raised off the ground, there's plenty of room for the vehicle as well as a place for the dogs to get out of the rain and sun and have free roam to guard the property.  Total cost was around $30,000 because he insisted on the best quality materials, fixtures and appliances available.

I could live like this!   :)

I used to wonder what it would be like to read other people's minds.

Then I got a facebook account and now I am over it.

Offline Big Jim

• Retired soon
  • Sr Member
    • Big Jims Philippines Experience
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2013, 09:14:39 AM »

Question about seawalls.

Thanks
Murph

The question of sea wall setback has been discussed before. I seem to remember that the 20M applied to city areas and it was 10M for the provinces. I could be wrong so you need to check, I would suggest the planning department for your area.
On Malapascua, the government set a 40 metre zone and pulled down every resort that was within 40 metres.

I used to wonder what it would be like to read other people's minds.

Then I got a facebook account and now I am over it.

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2013, 01:53:02 PM »
By and large it all went fine until I noticed white powder on my mahogany floor..
Fortunately it was in a few pcs of bamboo that the guys had`nt treated right.. All of our roof trusses are strapped together with 200 grade fishing nylon (A bit like how outriggers are strapped to fishing boats here) So it was easy to untie and replace..
The inside of the house is not native looking as the walls are clad with cement board and painted except for the living room..I`ll post pictures of that once its finished.

Hey Fred

I thought your large nippa home was trouble free?
Did you have issues with that build?......termites?

Im hoping the builder we hire is a veteran bamboo guy. ....but Now I know what to watch for...and ask about....thanks!

Was hoping to see some indoor pics of your big nippa.

Murph

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog