Author Topic: Car Insurance  (Read 5331 times)

Offline Thomas55555

Car Insurance
« on: February 21, 2012, 07:00:15 PM »
Just curious about my policy for a car that we just purchased. We have seaboard insurance company that came with the many freebies from the dealer.
I called them up the other day curious about if I was covered because the car is in my wife\'s name. I asked if I was covered because I am the primary driver. My wife has a special permit, however not a license. They told me if they understood me that up to five passengers are covered and it didn\'t matter who drove the car. Seems different from the the states. Is that right or is this just the Philippines.

Offline oneiloilokano

• Sr Member
Re: Car Insurance
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 08:38:16 AM »
It does not matter who is driving as long as they have a valid licence. Remember a stateside licence is only good for 90 days here. After that you need a Philippine licence. With the way they drive here it\'s not a matter of \"if\" but when you get into an accident. Do not give them an excuse not to pay.

I\'d also check the liability limits. They only require you to have P 150,000 damge liability and the standard deductable is P100,000 ! Besides the fact that the medical is only P50,000 total. Not per person. Not very much when you consider the actual costs.

Just like anywhere else, you get what you pay for or in your case got as a \"freebie\".

Offline oneiloilokano

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 08:50:31 AM »
It does not matter who is driving as long as they have a valid licence. Remember a stateside licence is only good for 90 days here. After that you need a Philippine licence. With the way they drive here it\'s not a matter of \"if\" but when you get into an accident. Do not give them an excuse not to pay.

I\'d also check the liability limits. They only require you to have P 150,000 damge liability and the standard deductable is P100,000 ! Besides the fact that the medical is only P50,000 total. Not per person. Not very much when you consider the actual costs.

Just like anywhere else, you get what you pay for or in your case got as a \"freebie\".

I alomost forgot to mention the special clause insurance companies have. It\'s call the \"acts of god \" clause. Meaning if a typhoon hits, your insurance will not cover anything. Same with homeowners on fire, flooding or earthquake. Lots of people here in Iloilo found this out the hard way after Typhoon Frank hit us a few years ago. Also had a Honda Dealship owner shot dead in front of the dealership because of that. Be smart and find out exactly how much liability etc that \"freebie\" insurance policy gets you. Bet it\'s the bare bones minimum :).

Offline suzukig1

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 10:11:43 PM »

I alomost forgot to mention the special clause insurance companies have. It\'s call the \"acts of god \" clause. Meaning if a typhoon hits, your insurance will not cover anything. Same with homeowners on fire, flooding or earthquake. Lots of people here in Iloilo found this out the hard way after Typhoon Frank hit us a few years ago. Also had a Honda Dealship owner shot dead in front of the dealership because of that. Be smart and find out exactly how much liability etc that \"freebie\" insurance policy gets you. Bet it\'s the bare bones minimum :).

To the OP:

You can buy separate coverage for \"acts of god\" for your car.  We have it because we live in typhoon alley up in Northern Luzon and no garage for the car.

You might not be (probably are not) covered for theft.  We buy this so that my wife will not hesitate to give up the car in case of a car jacking.

Offline swandivr

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 11:56:11 AM »
Timely post,as I am considering buying a car myself,as many of you might know.

just curious as to what premiums cost here.If a guy wanted full coverage with theft, comprehensive and \"acts of god\",what would he expect to pay?Understanding of course,that rates will fluctuate depending on policy limits etc....generally speaking ballpark figures maybe???

Offline richardsinger

• Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 06:46:51 AM »
Timely post,as I am considering buying a car myself,as many of you might know.

just curious as to what premiums cost here.If a guy wanted full coverage with theft, comprehensive and \"acts of god\",what would he expect to pay?Understanding of course,that rates will fluctuate depending on policy limits etc....generally speaking ballpark figures maybe???

I paid 18,000 pesos for full comp insurance on a fairly new(ish) Ford Everest. The premium depends a lot on the value of the vehicle, which makes sense because that is what you are insuring. I was only really interested in accident damage and theft cover, so I didn\'t check the details for the acts of god thing.

Richard

Offline cogon88

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 08:35:24 AM »
Cost of  insurance for 2011 Montero GTV, full coverage,acts of god, theft  etc 19,000 Piso  coverage 1.4 million replacement

Tom/ Roxas City

Offline suzukig1

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 11:32:45 AM »
Cost of  insurance for 2011 Montero GTV, full coverage,acts of god, theft  etc 19,000 Piso  coverage 1.4 million replacement

Tom/ Roxas City

Tom,

What insurance company do you use?  I would like to check them out.  Thanks.

Offline cogon88

• Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 03:55:05 PM »
Standard I have 2 cars and 3 trucks with them

Tom/ Roxas City

Offline Steve & Myrlita

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • Myrlita & I at our SIL 60th Bday.
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 05:30:41 PM »
The one I use here in Bacolod is Perla Insurance. I pay just under P4000 but my car is old (93 Corolla).
When my rear window was smashed, I paid P2000 deductible. The rest they paid. God Bless....
Thank you...God Bless...
Bro Steve & Sis Myrlita
Bacolod City, PH
*** RIP MY FRIEND LEE ***
***       RIP DON H        ***

Offline swandivr

• Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 03:25:19 PM »
Thanks everybody for the replies.I have some information to go on now.Interesting about the insurance \"freebies\"...I\'ll need to ask the important questions.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog