Author Topic: Making Money  (Read 8104 times)

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: Making Money
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2013, 02:58:49 AM »
.. still new to this particular forum, and it takes a little while to sus different topics and people.

Stephen,

I've found what works best for me is the Show unread posts since last visit
link at the top of my page.  I sometimes double-check by scrolling down the page looking for any highlighted topics.   

You may have to set all boards to "Mark as read" to begin a new start point.

HTH
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline medic3500

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2013, 12:16:50 PM »
Stephen, None of the injuries sustained fighting fire are the cause of my disability retirement. Went through the roof of a burning house once, fortunately the airpack I was wearing got caught on the rafters keeping me out of the inferno below and allowing enough time for fellow firefighters to get water on me and gather me up. My Bunkers (firegear) was destroyed I only suffered minor burns, and hurt pride. Had a flash over cave a ceiling in on four of us while inside a burning house, that was interesting. Again thanking the powers to be no one freaked out and the exceptional training kicked in and everyone got out safely only to be ribbed and tormented by the fellows. Breached the front door to a house and the sudden intake of oxygen caused the room to exploded sending me and my partner with the door in our face 50 feet into the front yard. Looking back it was all fun, however it is a dangerous job and one for the young guys with lasting back and neck problems. If I was fluent in Tagalog I would try to get on EMS here as it is still a passion of mine. Forensics was fun until I moved up the ladder into mid-level management which became more of politics than fact finding.   

Offline Palawan Aussie

• Sr Member
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2013, 09:03:17 PM »
Medic writes,

.. exceptional training ..  If fluent in Tagalog I would .. get on EMS here as it is still a passion of mine ..

Good to hear that you managed to avoid lasting fire related injury from your voluntary work. Reading here of your firey exploits in the line of duty, one might think it's a wonder

But, this raises a question. Drawing on your experience and training, what safety advice would you have for the rest of us here? Given that I guess many of us do, or will in future, stay and/or live in a typical Phils house, either wood, or concrete so probably with tiled floors, suspended ceilings and a metal roof, in terms of fire what would you advise/suggest?

I wonder because i don't think their would be many local fire fighting resources, and perhaps suitably trained emergency response people, in many areas of the Phils. Also in many locations the water pressure (or even water availability)  might not be adequate for serious fire fightiing efforts. So often, fires in residential areas of Manila are a disaster.

So, from your training and experience, what would be your advice regards fire for typical Phils houses? For instance, is plastic wall paint etc flammable? What should one avoid, eg, rubber gas-stove pipes? How might one prepare a domestic property for fire, and what might one best do in the event of a serious house fire in the Philippines? I'm sure people would be interested in your thoughts.

Also, thanks again Jack for your kind suggestions herewith. Will do. You certainly do a good job here.

Cheers,
Stephen
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 09:28:29 PM by PalawanAussie »

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2013, 02:21:23 AM »
Sounds like a great new topic!   Start here: Expat life in RP  and create a New Topic. 
If we name it  Home Safety: Fire Prevention we can add new Home Safety topics in an organized manor   :) :)

Offline Palawan Aussie

• Sr Member
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2013, 04:19:23 AM »
For those who are, or will, earn money in the Phils ..

The New York Times
Wed, May 15th, 2013

Business Day Section: "Retirement"

Are you taking a "working retirement" abroad? Tell us about the rewards and challenges involved in resettling and getting back to work outside the United States. Be sure to specify where you used to live and where you live today as well as what type of work you do. Selected comments may be highlighted in a follow-up piece.

See: http://www.nytimes.com/yr/mo/day/business/retirement/

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2013, 04:48:29 AM »
For those who are, or will, earn money in the Phils ..

The New York Times
Wed, May 15th, 2013

Business Day Section: "Retirement"

Are you taking a "working retirement" abroad? Tell us about the rewards and challenges involved in resettling and getting back to work outside the United States. Be sure to specify where you used to live and where you live today as well as what type of work you do. Selected comments may be highlighted in a follow-up piece.

See: http://www.nytimes.com/yr/mo/day/business/retirement/

I'm certain the NY Times will ignore anything they don't like and will only follow up on those individuals they know personally and "like".  I wouldn't tell the NY Times anything about myself or my business, no matter how nice they ask.  My business dealings are on a need to know basis, and they don't need to know.  JMHO
 ;D

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2013, 08:41:45 AM »
I thought we all went through this similar topic before! Again, JMHO, working in the Philippines for pesos (peanuts) doesn't appeal to me, just seen it too many times people just earning nickles and dimes per hr! So, I remain retired for good while residing here! After working 30 to 40 yrs and then retiring, why would anyone even think about returning to work? That's just plain foolish, but not for some who are die hard workaholics even after retirement, maybe it's due to the lack of their retirement income or they just plain like to keep busy and continue working! 
I will not bankroll relatives and or friends to do so on my or on their behalf, that's foolish too, been there and done all that long ago and lost my shirt just after a short few years and never got my capital investment back! Those were hard lessons learned here in the Philippines! So, don't do as I did and or don't do them at all by going back to work after retirement or start a business here in the Philippines any which way! If one sees and hears all of the warning signs in the beginning, take heed and accept the warning signs for what they are in order to avoid all of the stresses, aggravations and hassles that comes with working and doing business in the Philippines!
Do you feel lucky or smart enough to be successful here? Go right ahead and more power to you! I did not say it was impossible, just difficult for most who have tried it and failed and for some who are still around and getting by or just surviving! JMHO! ??? :o ;)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 10:20:28 AM by Art, re(tired) Fil/Am »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2013, 08:48:15 AM »
Why would anyone here want to boost the sales of the New York Times? ??? ??? ?? It is not really related to Living in the Philippines and you would have to read the newspaper to get any of the results. JMHO also  ;)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 12:06:39 AM by Gray Wolf »

Offline Rob from Mel

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2013, 12:49:55 PM »
Colin , it is simple really , you write how well you are doing in business in the Philippines and then the IRS have a lead , following IP adresses , regards Robert .

Offline Palawan Aussie

• Sr Member
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2013, 02:59:13 PM »
Hahaha .. what a load of crock .. old-fart moans and groans .. hahaha .. come on guys! :-D I have the feeling numbers of folk are mainly hanging around for the occasional useful posts, those with valuable and useful information, great posts, on top of the basic stuff about living in the Phils like entry visas etc. It's for certain people here have great stuff to contribute, stuff we can learn from, rather than just complaints and moans about other posts. Hahaha! Come on guys, how about lots more USEFUL posts .. written from your unique, interesting and valuable individual experiences. We all have experiences we can all learn lots from. C'mon guys, no offence, please TEACH us useful stuff .. isn't that why we are here? :-D

With genuine respect,
and friendship, cheers! 
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 03:01:23 PM by PalawanAussie »

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2013, 12:10:55 AM »
Hahaha .. what a load of crock .. old-fart moans and groans .. hahaha .. come on guys! :-D I have the feeling numbers of folk are mainly hanging around for the occasional useful posts, those with valuable and useful information, great posts, on top of the basic stuff about living in the Phils like entry visas etc. It's for certain people here have great stuff to contribute, stuff we can learn from, rather than just complaints and moans about other posts. Hahaha! Come on guys, how about lots more USEFUL posts .. written from your unique, interesting and valuable individual experiences. We all have experiences we can all learn lots from. C'mon guys, no offence, please TEACH us useful stuff .. isn't that why we are here? :-D

With genuine respect,
and friendship, cheers!

Which is why I question reporting anything to the NY Times, one of the worst newspapers in the world.  I agree with Rob.  They'll probably report all "useful" info the IRS.  No thanks!

Moans and groans?  No way!  Just being sensible, especially in light of the ongoing controversies with the lying, cheating administration we are faced with in the US.

Now, let's ALL get back on topic!   ;)    :)