Author Topic: Do you know about this common house or garden plant?  (Read 1359 times)

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
Do you know about this common house or garden plant?
« on: February 27, 2013, 10:58:53 PM »
Came upon this article on FACEBOOK and researched it further and found the following:

This plant is very common at our houses, gardens, parks and offices (popular as indoor & outdoor plant). The plant (Dumb Cane or Dieffenbachia) is now proven to be dangerous, so, please take care!

This plant is common in Rwanda. It is a deadly poison, most specially for the children if ingested. It can kill a kid in less than a minute and an adult in 15 minutes. It should be uprooted from gardens and taken out of offices. If touched, one should never touch his/her eyes; it can cause partial or permanent blindness.

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/killer-house-plant-warning.shtml

Message claims that an indoor plant that is commonly kept in homes and offices is so poisonous that it can kill a child in less than a minute and an adult in 15 minutes. The message, which comes with a photograph of the "killer plant", also warns that touching the plant and then rubbing your eyes can cause permanent blindness.

The plant shown in the photograph that comes with this warning email is a dieffenbachia, a very popular indoor pot plant. If the leaves of dieffenbachia are ingested by humans or animals, poisoning can indeed occur. However, this warning message significantly exaggerates the severity of dieffenbachia poisoning. Deaths from dieffenbachia poisoning can occur, but are very rare. Most human poisoning cases result in relatively minor symptoms and the victim makes a full recovery.

https://www.google.com.ph/search?q=Dieffenbachia&hl=en&rlz=1C1FDUM_enPH474PH476&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=nRguUf3XOsa4iAeHqYHYBQ&ved=0CKUBEIke&biw=1120&bih=635#hl=en&rlz=1C1FDUM_enPH474PH476&tbm=isch&q=dieffenbachia+maculata&revid=987603882&sa=X&ei=tRguUdaODsmjiAeI2ID4Aw&ved=0CEsQgxY&fp=1&biw=1120&bih=635&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.&cad=b&sei=P0EuUe6vEumaiAfo9oDYAw

List of other poisonous plants with pictures
https://www.google.com/search?q=list+of+poisonous+plants+with+pictures&hl=en&sa=X&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&ei=_iMuUefVJo2PiAfNqYGABg&ved=0CC4QsAQ&biw=1344&bih=762
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 01:27:59 AM by Art2ro »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline RUFUS

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
Re: Do you know about this common house or garden plant?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 05:10:50 AM »
I love that plant. I have several and they are easy to grow and help clean the air in the home.
Don't eat it!..lol
SO SAYETH THE RUFUS

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 08:34:06 AM »
We have at least 5 of them in our house!  We have no pets or children and I haven't eaten a houseplant in years.  I think we might be safe.   ;) :)
Louisville, KY USA

Offline meylou

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 03:51:10 PM »
One of my favorite indoor plants is the dieffenbachia. This cleans the air inside the house and great dust catchers, just wash/wipe the leaves once in a while.
What we think we become... Buddha
:)

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog