Author Topic: Natural or Wood House  (Read 15671 times)

Offline graham

• Sr Member
Re: Natural or Wood House
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2012, 11:46:54 AM »
The small nipa huts that I think you are talking about are built in a week or two and dont require permission because of their size..Usually built by farmers and poor families..
Just about every other type of structure though does need a building permit which of course means engineer drawings and plans etc.
Once we had all that organized we pretty much did it all ourselves with the help of one carpenter and two general labourers..

Cheers,
Fred.

Fred,

How about a compromise? Murphy can build a small
Nipa hut, which does not need plans.

Then after a reasonable amount of time he can extend no problems.
Apparently you do not need plans to do extensions to existing houses †::) :D :D
Not hard to extend a Nipa hut.

Graham.

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2012, 06:57:32 PM »
We bought a 500 meter lot with a Filipino style bungalow on it.. We asked an architect to do a drawing for us as a general remodel plus a small extension.. He told us that we cant continue without a plan and permit!... The whole shebang!
I guess we could work on it without a plan but as the existing structure has no occupancy permit it might be hard to sell it on..
We can get a plan and building permit (all signed) for about 10k so no biggie..

Offline richardsinger

• Sr Member
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2012, 10:21:35 PM »
I\'ve been involved with a few buy/sell transactions for house and lot, and I never saw any occupancy permit. Everything seemed to be legit and went through City Hall for transfer of title without question.

And from what I have seen, it is very possible to build an extension without any approvals. When you build a new house you need to have a certain set-back from the property line, but when you add an extension, it seems you can go right to the line and nobody cares.

This is in Batangas and Quezon, maybe it is different in other provinces.

Richard

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2012, 07:29:31 AM »
I\'ve been involved with a few buy/sell transactions for house and lot, and I never saw any occupancy permit. Everything seemed to be legit and went through City Hall for transfer of title without question.

And from what I have seen, it is very possible to build an extension without any approvals. When you build a new house you need to have a certain set-back from the property line, but when you add an extension, it seems you can go right to the line and nobody cares.

This is in Batangas and Quezon, maybe it is different in other provinces.

Richard

The occupancy permit is registered at City Hall, so I would imagine that they would know if a property has one or not so would not need to ask. However, there must be very many properties without one and I doubt if anyone cares. It seems that the system here is very slack and nobody cares what happens to an established home. We had to install fire escapes on the upper floor to get the permit, but the fire department told us we could take them down afterwards ::)

Offline Murphy

• Sr Member
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2012, 08:33:50 PM »
So.....do the expats get the \"Special Treatment\" when doing theses projects then?† Seems if they know your an expat...they go the extra mile....like everything else. ::)

Offline richardsinger

• Sr Member
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2012, 10:22:46 PM »
We had to install fire escapes on the upper floor to get the permit, but the fire department told us we could take them down afterwards ::)

Ha ha, that\'s a good one Colin. Hope they weren\'t too expensive.

Richard

Offline Metz

• Sr Member
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2013, 01:13:52 PM »
I added on a garage to the house a year ago.  The only problems were from the homeowners assocation. 

Because of some funding issues, I elected to reuse some of the lumber from the forms and use as walls.  We treated the place with what I thought was a excessive amount of solignum. Some areas are not falling apart, and the wooden doors have totally fallen apart.  Im replacing the entire wall section with 16ga galvanized steel.  sheared to 24x96 inch sections then the long end bent at .5x2x4 and 2 inches to make a wall stud/panel which gives me spacing of 16 inches between studs. it looks quite normal after bending and the entire part costs 580 pesos per 8 foot tall section.  I can enclose the whole piece for 6000 including some c farling, screws, and epoxy paint.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog