Author Topic: ALTERNATIVE TO MCWD WATER  (Read 6073 times)

Offline kennysato

ALTERNATIVE TO MCWD WATER
« on: April 23, 2013, 05:32:29 PM »
Can anyone tell me if there is another water company here in Cebu that has water for the home in the Calero, Liloan area of Cebu? I have been here for 4yrs now and the pressure was bad in the beginning but is almost non-existent now days... Last month the water did not come on til 8pm most days and this month it is more like 10pm and when it does come on the pressure is very low... If I don’t fill up at least two 33gal barrels a night I may not have enough water the next day for washing and use in the CR's....hope someone can give me some suggestions.  Kenny
 >:(
(Mod note... Kenny, please do not use all capitals when posting, it is considered yelling in forum settings. Thx)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 09:39:25 PM by RUFUS »

Offline Big Jim

• Retired soon
  • Sr Member
    • Big Jims Philippines Experience
Re: ALTERNATIVE TO MCWD WATER
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 07:07:58 PM »
No.

But I have a suggestion.

Get your self one or two water tanks. If you are not getting enough water from the roof, you can top them up with town water if you like.

If they are sitting up high, they will have good pressure any way but they can also be sat on  the ground with a pressure pump attached.

If you also want perfectly clean water, you can attach a filtration system.
I used to wonder what it would be like to read other people's minds.

Then I got a facebook account and now I am over it.

Offline Frosty

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 11:48:48 AM »
Kenny
You have two different problems you have a supply problem and a pressure problem.

Supply problem
I would also go with the tank like Jim suggested. The tank should hold about 2 or 3 days of normal water usage. I would use a float system like in the back of a toilet so the tank would fill anytime of day or night and you would not need to stay around and fill the tank.

Pressure problem
If you only need enough water pressure to flush toilets and take showers. An elevated tank will work fine. But it will be low pressure. You only gain .43 PSI per foot of elevation. A tank of water 10 feet above the ground you will only have 4.3 PSI at the ground. (10x.43=4.3PSI). As the water goes up to a shower head that is 6 feet off the floor you will need to subtract 2.6 psi. If you need higher pressure then you might need to go with a pump system.

Offline Big Jim

• Retired soon
  • Sr Member
    • Big Jims Philippines Experience
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 12:36:28 PM »
Float system sounds like a great idea!

I forgot to mention previously that at the ex wife family home on Leyte, where there is no town water, we had 2 tanks. One for the CR and one for the kitchen. The one for the CR was at ground level and just used a tap to fill buckets so that you could shower with bucket and ladle. I installed an electric camp shower to pump out of a bucket. Cold water is fine for shower at 2pm but at 6am, I added hot water to the bucket.

The kitchen tank was elevated with the base of the tank only slightly above the level of the kitchen sink. But the water pressure was plenty for a kitchen sink tap.

However, i noticed last visit that ex father in law had added a pipe and shower head to the kitchen water tank and so now there is very good pressure for a cold water shower in the CR, one floor below the kitchen. I suppose the base of the kitchen water tank is about 2 metres above the head of the shower. The water shoots out very fast. When the kitchen water tank runs out, I suppose it is back to bucket and ladle from the CR water tank.

Last time I was in ace hardware in SM Mall Cebu City, they had different sized water tanks. The smallest was about 500 litres and the largest was about 2500 Litres. The 2500 litre would work well for Leyte but I imagine that a 500 litre tank would work well for Frosty's water solution with a float.
I used to wonder what it would be like to read other people's minds.

Then I got a facebook account and now I am over it.

Offline Metz

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 07:10:17 PM »
You have 3 options:

1 get a water tank, full it using a float valve and use a seperate pump for your water pressure.  The kind used on water wells

2 get a backup water system and collect rain water. 

3 drill a well, pour a couple kilos of calcium hypochlorite down the bore hole every couple months.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 07:27:18 PM »
From my personal experience the water here in Cebu has a lot of junk in it. I am not sure if your area is the same as where we live in Cebu City but we had low pressure in our unit and I removed the aerators from the faucets and they were badly clogged, so once we replaced them pressure was back.

A couple of my neighbors complained of low pressure too only for it to end up the same problem in their units.

I am not saying that is your problem, I am just saying it could be part of your problem or not but it would be worth unscrewing the filters/aerators on your faucets to find out.

:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline paulgee

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 03:50:35 AM »
You have 3 options:

1 get a water tank, full it using a float valve and use a seperate pump for your water pressure.  The kind used on water wells

2 get a backup water system and collect rain water. 

3 drill a well, pour a couple kilos of calcium hypochlorite down the bore hole every couple months.

We took option 3 last year for our new house, which we consider a good decision. I wasn't aware we should pour anything down the bore hole. what is the purpose of that?

Paul
Based in the UK, and part time in our San Fernando, Pampanga house

Offline Frosty

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 11:34:56 AM »
Paul
I've been thinking about having a well drilled also when we build our house.
What is the depth of the well?
What was the price per foot to case the well?
Did you have your water tested?
Calcium hypochlorite is a disinfectant it is used to kill the bugs. You might not need it if the water was tested at a lab and found to be free of any bad bugs.
There are also systems that use chlorine( laundry bleach) to disinfect the water, a small pump that turns on when the well pump turns on and feeds a metered amount of chlorine (bleach) into the system and kills any unwanted bugs.

Offline kennysato

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 02:34:49 PM »
Thanks you so much for all the suggestions guys...the water is now back n and the pressure has increased a little bit but still not enough to take a shower...I am still filling my three 33gal barrells a day to use when needed and have not decieded what I will do by am leaning towards getting a tank....
Where can I get a float switch? thanks in advance...

Kenny

Offline Steve & Myrlita

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • Myrlita & I at our SIL 60th Bday.
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2013, 04:33:32 PM »
Thanks you so much for all the suggestions guys...the water is now back n and the pressure has increased a little bit but still not enough to take a shower...I am still filling my three 33gal barrels a day to use when needed and have not decided what I will do by am leaning towards getting a tank....
Where can I get a float switch? thanks in advance...

Kenny
Any ACE hardware or local building supply. God Bless....
Thank you...God Bless...
Bro Steve & Sis Myrlita
Bacolod City, PH
*** RIP MY FRIEND LEE ***
***       RIP DON H        ***

Offline paulgee

• Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2013, 08:59:45 PM »
Paul
I've been thinking about having a well drilled also when we build our house.
What is the depth of the well?
What was the price per foot to case the well?
Did you have your water tested?
Calcium hypochlorite is a disinfectant it is used to kill the bugs. You might not need it if the water was tested at a lab and found to be free of any bad bugs.
There are also systems that use chlorine( laundry bleach) to disinfect the water, a small pump that turns on when the well pump turns on and feeds a metered amount of chlorine (bleach) into the system and kills any unwanted bugs.

Frosty

In our sub division although there is mains water available 24/7 we were told pressure drops off a lot during busy times, so as we wanted enough pressure for our electric shower units we decided to do what some others had done and drill a well.

This was done by the onsite plumbers etc and they drilled down approx 120 feet, fitted an electric pump and pressure tank and hooked it up to our house supply. We did not even bother with the mains supply which was left unconnected.

The total cost to us was around P60k, but we did ensure they used top quality material. The water seems to be of good quality, we were going to get it tested, a cost locally of P4k but didn't get round to it during our stay. I don't use it for drinking water but it was ok for brushing teeth etc.

I will see about getting it tested next visit in order to ensure we are not harbouring anything nasty, though unfortunately that may not be for a year or so, as family matters may make time away difficult at present.

One bonus was that as we had a large lawn laid, and the garden landscaped , we are able to use large amounts of water keeping that green and the plants healthy without worrying about the cost involved.

Paul

Offline Metz

• Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2013, 09:44:03 PM »
If you have a well, you need to pour the calcium hypochlorite down the bore hole.  If not you risk getting all sorts of illnesses. 

Calcium hypochlorite is pool chlorine.  Locally a plastic container good for a couple months costs you 350 pesos. 

After the smell of chlorine wears off, your water should smell rather sweet. 

In Africa we buried a couple hundred pounds in the ground around the water wells we used. 

The wells were sunk at the edge of a riverbank that only flowed when it rained.  It made for adventure when I drove a fully loaded tanker truck thru that rushing water. 

Last I heard the Army switched to reverse osmosis water purifiers using brackish well water on base instead of the fresh water wells off base. You tax dollars at work.

Btw, of you want to build a water purification unit, I found one that is very cheap, and produces Distilled water using no electric.  A 4x8 foot unit will produce about 4 gallons of water a day. You can build it yourself from hardware store parts.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 09:49:51 PM by Metz »

Offline SIMI

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2014, 12:09:06 AM »
Paul

Where in the Philippines is your home located?

I'm looking to build a home in San Fernando, Cebu and my main concern is a suffice t supply of good quality water.  So I have been thinking that a well is probably my best bet.

Does anyone know how I can predetermine how deep a well would need to be to reach either a good supply of subsurface ground water or a depth required to reach an underground stream from the aquifer.   Are there geologists available capable of making this determination?

Thanks
Simi

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2014, 12:17:25 AM »
Hi Simi,

Welcome to the group!  Click on this link and tell us a little about yourself

http://www.livinginthephilippines.com/forum/index.php?board=35.0

Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline paulgee

• Sr Member
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2014, 03:48:09 AM »
Paul

Where in the Philippines is your home located?

I'm looking to build a home in San Fernando, Cebu and my main concern is a suffice t supply of good quality water.  So I have been thinking that a well is probably my best bet.

Does anyone know how I can predetermine how deep a well would need to be to reach either a good supply of subsurface ground water or a depth required to reach an underground stream from the aquifer.   Are there geologists available capable of making this determination?

Thanks
Simi

Simi,

I am in San Fernando, Pampanga. Unfortunately a different SF location to you.

Initially I would try asking around and maybe someone else has drilled for water and will know how deep the water table is.

Paul