Author Topic: Passive Cooling  (Read 10416 times)

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
Re: Passive Cooling
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2014, 06:30:25 AM »
Brett or any one else who knows the answer and would like to tell me.  My understanding of the split type air con is that the compressor is located in a different place from the evaporator and the two are connected by copper tubing carrying refrigerant.  At least here in the states after those two are connected the system which was shipped separate must be vacuum pumped and refilled with refrigerant.  How can they be moved from place to place in the Philippines with out a technician with the right equipment to hook them back up? I ask because I would like to purchase a split unit for our house there but don't know where to find a technician.      Thanks for any help.   Arlie

The places you buy split units from have installers come out and install them. We bought two split Carriers and the place we bought them from installed them.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline brett4gam

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
  • A happy retired Aussie living a relaxing lifestyle
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2014, 09:42:39 AM »
Brett or any one else who knows the answer and would like to tell me.  My understanding of the split type air con is that the compressor is located in a different place from the evaporator and the two are connected by copper tubing carrying refrigerant.  At least here in the states after those two are connected the system which was shipped separate must be vacuum pumped and refilled with refrigerant.  How can they be moved from place to place in the Philippines with out a technician with the right equipment to hook them back up? I ask because I would like to purchase a split unit for our house there but don't know where to find a technician.      Thanks for any help.   Arlie

Hi Arlie, Lee is correct, you can normally arrange an installer from the retailer, so far, after buying a few units from various places we found that if you do not use their installer, they claim it voids the warranty.  This is yet to be seen as so far we haven't run into any problems, and have registered each unit with the manufacturer for warranty.

In the typical extended family we have an electrician who does the electrical connection for a qualified Air con technician who has all the equipment required.  The unit we purchased last week was installed perfectly by the technician, and he will be the one we will use when it comes time to relocate it.

I think from memory the refrigerant has to be captured, the unit moved, vacuum pumped again and new refrigerant installed.

Hopefully a painless task, but it is some time off yet.

Tks GW for the helpful advice on using the quote button, worked this time, guess there may have been a temporary glitch the other day when I tried to use it, or I just buggered it up.  ;D

Cheers
Brett.
I have never seen the world brighter and less prosperous.

Offline arlie

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2014, 09:49:00 AM »
Brett and Lee.  Thank you very much for your quick reply.  That eases my mind considerably, I will get one on my next trip to the Philippines.  Arlie :)

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2014, 05:31:04 AM »

Tks GW for the helpful advice on using the quote button, worked this time, guess there may have been a temporary glitch the other day when I tried to use it, or I just buggered it up.  ;D

Cheers
Brett.

Walang problema, brod!  I know it's sometimes a daunting task making these forums work the way we want.  It took me quite some time to figure out what little I do know.   ;D  :)
Louisville, KY USA

Offline Colin

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
  • Living in Puerto Princesa, Palawan
    • The Philippine Journal
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2019, 05:50:49 PM »
I have been away for a few days visiting El Nido so have not been able to respond until now.

I think it important to insulate walls even if you are not planning to use much aircon. Take a look at this section of my web site. http://thephilippinejournal.wetpaint.com/page/Design  We use very little aircon and the house is noticeably cooler most of the time even with the windows open. A hollow block wall has an R value of around 1.0 and my 3 inch polystyrene walls around 11.0. That is 11 times better; they are cold even if the sun is on them all day. If you want to use aircon then you will have a big reduction in electricity bills. We only have fans in the lounge and master bedroom, but I do use a small aircon more often in my study. There are other aspects of house design that you need to consider to make it comfortable, and I cover them on my web site.

Whatever you do with the walls, it is essential to insulate the attic space and give lots of ventilation. We used 6 inch foil bags filled with fibreglass from Citi Hardware, but they then stopped stocking it at our local store. You should be able to buy the rolls of fibreglass at building supply stores.

This is an old 'lost' post of mine, but I though I should update the website address anyway. It is http://thephilippinejournal.wikifoundry.com/page/Design.
Colin
Puerto Princesa, Palawan & London, UK

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2019, 08:57:18 PM »
I'm from Michigan in the USA originally.  We go yearly from weeks rarely above freezing to weeks in August rarely with a high below 85-90 degrees.  My dad made his money in the construction industry and mainly in residential homes.  His company grew a big name in one of the more rural areas in the UP of Michigan.  How'd he do it?  His houses were very well know for their insulation. 

The better you insulate, the better money you save.  We have a split system in our house now for a couple years and I had to fight with Tina to get her to understand what we NEEDED to do before hand.  She went ahead and bought the spit system anyway.  This was for the upper level(all of it) and our staircase was open going to the lower and our outer walls we only finished.  No paint or insulation(and the outside wasn't even complete finished at that time).  She hooked it up and we only used it part time and our bill went up over 5000php/mo.  Got the stairs enclosed.  The excess costs in the electric bill went down to only a 3500 jump.  Had half of the outer finishing that was finished hammered off, then went with the foam fiber cement mix and had it all finished.  Then flexicoat painted.  We now only have a bump in our electric bill of about 1500-2000.  Oh, and we use the AC all the time and it keeps the complete upper level(2 beds and a living area) completely cool at a much more effective level.

Insulation, in the big picture, saves you MUCH more money and electric if you do it right.
My dad built a lady a home just outside of Munising, MI in the UP.  She was living in it for her first winter.  A brutally cold one.  Her first gas(heating) bill came and it was really low.  Her new house was bigger than her old one, and the bill under half what her old house was.  She called the gas company and demanded they check into it.  She was afraid they'd find the mistake later and need to pay a huge fee then.  They came and checked everything out, and found nothing wrong.  She called again after the next month's bill came and same thing, it was too small.  This time when she called the gas company's call center the man finally asked "who built your home".  She said H & H Construction.  The man told her she had nothing to worry about.  That the company that built her house is why it's so cheap and that her house is just very well insulated.  That's what built my dad's business to being so large was his reputation on being able to give so many layers of insulation yet not jump the price but a little.  I grew up in the homes he built/remodeled.  I learned first hand the money saved if you insulate properly. 

All that said, if your renting, or not looking to stay in your house very long, it's not worth the investment.  Even more so in a place like the Philippines where the average person doesn't think about such things and such things are very unlikely to raise the value of your home because of such.

Also, like others have said on here, the place you buy your split system from has installers and our required that we use them for warranty sake.  And we have used that warranty 2 times.  Nothing the fault of the AC unit(and LG) but rather the workers who worked on it.  The local Robinson's appliance was unsure what to do because Tina and I were the first to get out the warranty and demand they live up to it and get someone to fix it.  No one ever demanded they live up to the warranty.  Sorta funny to me.  But, they did it(after a call to LG from Tina and myself) and at no cost to Tina and myself, they fixed their mistake.  But, the warranty was void if an unlicensed tech installed it.  So we just allowed their installers to do it all.  Think it cost like 800php.  Worth taking that route.
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog