Author Topic: Education In the Philippines, Good or Bad, Your honest opinion  (Read 8057 times)

Offline coleman2347

• ole jarhead, Tacloban City, Leyte
  • Sr Member
  • Retired Marine, Retired DOD
I just sat down and read most of the post here, most seem to be old post.  I am presently putting 5 kids through school here, two of my own and three of my wife's siblings.  Recently I sat down with them trying to determine just how much education they had to begin with.

All five had been attending public school in the province,  ranging from kinder to 7th grade and frankly I was dismayed.  The one in first grade could not do simple addition (ie 1+1=2) and though he was adequate in his writing he had almost no knowledge of math.
The rest were about the same or worst.

The one bright spot was the oldest who had to quit school before he finished grammar school and is in the 7th grade this year..(he is 18 going back to school) and seems to be extremely bright.   Given the opportunity he will excel.

When we watch TV it seems that almost no one knows anything about the rest of the world except what they see on TV...Was watching a sci fi movie last night and was asked "is it real?" do we really have ships like that?  That's only the tip of the Iceberg, I watch a lot of Discovery and Nat.Geo and almost all of the time have to get the globe and show the kids where it is they are talking about. 

Yesterday I went to a parent/teachers meeting at the school I have them in now. its Catholic and private...I hate to be negative but honestly I have seen better presentations done by first graders in the states.  I was actually embarrassed for them.  This is suppose to be an English speaking school, they're English was like my Waray Waray and that's not saying a lot.  All of the teachers have MA or PhD's.  It seemed to me that the school was more interested in making "good citizens" (read followers) than making intelligent students.  It seems that they want to "dumb down" the courses they teach.  Supposedly this school has one of the highest ratings here and the curriculum goes from K though College. 

This is my first time of really getting into education for kids in 40 years so I am kind of at a lost of whats expected here..my hope and dream is to have all the kids college educated before I die...But frankly it would seem that a high school education in the States is more than a college education here?  Am I wrong?  Am I right?  I have no Idea...Any input from those of you more experienced in this than myself would be appreciated...Lee
The only thing worse than wanting to do it is not doing it

Offline Steve & Myrlita

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • 1st Time with all 5 Grandchildren Together 2016!
Re: Education In the Philippines, Good or Bad, Your honest opinion
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 08:08:17 PM »
Yesterday I went to a parent/teachers meeting at the school I have them in now. its Catholic and private...I hate to be negative but honestly I have seen better presentations done by first graders in the states.  I was actually embarrassed for them.  This is suppose to be an English speaking school, they're English was like my Waray Waray and that's not saying a lot.  All of the teachers have MA or PhD's.  It seemed to me that the school was more interested in making "good citizens" (read followers) than making intelligent students.  It seems that they want to "dumb down" the courses they teach.  Supposedly this school has one of the highest ratings here and the curriculum goes from K though College. 

This is my first time of really getting into education for kids in 40 years so I am kind of at a lost of whats expected here..my hope and dream is to have all the kids college educated before I die...But frankly it would seem that a high school education in the States is more than a college education here?  Am I wrong?  Am I right?  I have no Idea...Any input from those of you more experienced in this than myself would be appreciated...Lee
Yes Lee, it's not your imagination. IMHO, they purposely keep them dumbed down to keep the masses under control of the elites. I've met college graduates who could not even tell me where MA was on the globe or even name all the months in a year. To this day, I still scratch my head at the educational system here. My 13 almost 14 yr old granddaughter to this day can't speak English yet my 3 yr old just being around Grampy talks English to me regularly. The school's main drive is to push nationalism. Again JMHO. God Bless.....

Thank you...God Bless...
Bro Steve & Sis Myrlita
Bacolod City, PH

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 11:02:04 PM »
My experience has proven to me that even the highly educated have no sense of direction nor how to read basic map instructions.  I sent some old National Geographic magazines to the family in balikbayan boxes and they have become their windows to the rest of the world.  It's amazing how little is actually taught there, even in "good" schools.
Louisville, KY USA

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 12:00:56 AM »
My two kids were educated in the UK till they were 7 and 9 years old..
My eldest is now 16 and on his last year of high school here.
Alongside his education here he has spent the last two years doing a British IGSE course (Home study) He took one year out of local school to concentrate on this Brit course.(5 subjects)
We booked him into the British school in Manila to sit his exams and it seems he is very confident that has done well..
From what he tells me,the standards in English,Math and Science are similar in both systems. Obviously his test grades so far this year are excellent.
My daughter is not taking the IGCSE course and her general Maths,science and English are about the same as her brother.
Parental guidance and attention is essential.

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 12:52:14 PM »
I think a lot has to do with what school the child attends.  My ex went to a top private school.  She then went to Chicago post graduation and when she went to apply and do a placement test at DePaul, she placed as a sophomore.  This was back in 1986.  Then her councilor set up a meeting where her dad(educated at USC in the '50s) and her had to talk about what she had to do to start school.  The councilor went on to tell her she needed to take English as a second language.  She was so pissed she spent the rest of the meeting correcting the councilor's poor speech each and every time he made a mistake not speaking proper English.  Her dad told me he didn't know if he should laugh, or scold her. He also was pretty upset and scorned that such a class was in demand.  Anyway, the councilor was pissed at the end, and refused to let her out of the class.  So she went to the University of Chicago. 
Now, forward to 2011.  The last time I was in the Phils.  My friend Maki lived in the USA up till 2009.  He had 3 kids all in the system of public schools here in the USA.  The daughter started and was in 5th grade, the boys were only in K for one,and the other not yet in school.  The live in Las Pinas and Maki and his wife put them into the Elizabeth Seton school system.  A private school.  The daughter was held back a grade.  The older son was now in 2nd grade level.  He blew me away with his education.  He would grab my books I brought to read, and for the most part, understood every word.  At that time I was reading the Lord Of The Rings books again.  He only had to ask what a few words were.  When Maki got home I said to him that he raised his kids well while they were in America.  His response was his wife and him never really taught them anything more than what the schools did.  They just helped with home work and it was the school that they attended in Las Pinas that taught them reading of both English and Tagalog books.  Then he told me that his boy can read an even higher level of Tagalog. 
I talked to my ex about this once.  Her view of schooling in Manila, based on what she saw in the '80s is this.  The public schools teaches girls to cook, clean, and do maid jobs.  She said most of those girls will not finish school, and they need to be trained to do the jobs that they will be at best qualified for.  The boys are taught more technical jobs for working in factories or other "handyman" jobs. 
Again, this is based on what she saw back in the '80s.  If this is still accurate is the big question. 
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline medic3500

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 12:53:15 PM »
I'm sure Stephen can back me up on this as his wife is also a school teacher as is my GF. Parent participation lacks in a lot of the childrens education here. I don't know if they break down the students in Palawan like they do here in Manila, but my GF was assigned a class in Section 17 with 49 students in 3rd grade. Section 1 being the brightest students, you do the math. Out of the 49 students she has five that can not read, not even basic Tagalog. She had parent teacher conference this week, out of those five students three of students parents didn't show neither father or mother. Of the two that did show they were receptive of the straight forward frankness of my GF telling them that the school system has failed the children in allowing them to proceed to the next grade without knowing the basics. The GF went further to inform the parent that she is willing to provide the teaching materials to them, but they must be the ones to teach at this point. With 49 students and 3 kids of her own at home she doesn't have the time to focus on individual students, it's a shame but the truth. There are so many students at this school that they have broken it down to morning and afternoon sessions. Session 1 is from 6am to 12noon, Session 2 from noon to 6pm and still average 50 students per class.
Back to the original question is education good or bad here. I can say that my GF spends countless hours of what little time she has in preparing her lesson plans along with visual aids spending her own money in doing so as there is no budget at the school. This year the school change the policy and each teacher no longer teaches six separate subjects, but only two allowing the teacher more time to focus on the subject matter. IMHO I don't think that the school system deliberately tries to dumb down the students it's a matter of lack of money at the top, overworked, underpaid teachers who are burnt out and of course those who just don't care anymore and have given up on trying. I know that my GF teaches her students the same way I was taught and wants her students to have a broad understanding of world history, geography, math and science. She has nice large world map along with a Philippine map on her classroom wall and her students are required to know and point out the different regions and these are not her subjects, science is, but she incorporates those subjects into her lesson plans.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 09:52:05 PM »
I know that my GF teaches her students the same way I was taught and wants her students to have a broad understanding of world history, geography, math and science. She has nice large world map along with a Philippine map on her classroom wall and her students are required to know and point out the different regions and these are not her subjects, science is, but she incorporates those subjects into her lesson plans.

Good for her!!  Most Filipinos I've talked with can't tell you where North is!!   :)
Louisville, KY USA

Offline medic3500

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 10:38:12 PM »
Jack, That is precisely why she changed her teaching habits a couple years back when she realized that her own children were not getting the information that she thought was important. She comes from a family of teachers. Her sister, three of her four daughters and two sister in laws are school teachers. We have joked around and gotten serious a couple times about opening a private school but as you can imagine the red tape is a mile long if you want to be accredited. In this area you can't really charge enough to make it worth while unless you have a sponsor with large pockets for the initial investment. Even then you can't rely on the families to pay as agreed. It a nice conversation piece while having a couple San Migs, dreaming and wishing that you can make a difference in the outcome of the country.

Offline Motörhead

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2014, 04:50:22 AM »
I know that my GF teaches her students the same way I was taught and wants her students to have a broad understanding of world history, geography, math and science. She has nice large world map along with a Philippine map on her classroom wall and her students are required to know and point out the different regions and these are not her subjects, science is, but she incorporates those subjects into her lesson plans.

Good for her!!  Most Filipinos I've talked with can't tell you where North is!!   :)

Well, to be fair, my wife deals with customers from the US who have no idea where the Philippines is... She had one the other day who admitted to her that she hadn't studied HISTORY (I kid you not) enough to know where the Philippines is. My wife corrected the customer.. "you mean geography?".

But to get back on topic, my wife has a few close friends that were teachers and all of them but two have left to work overseas and the ones that haven't left are working at BPO's, totally unrelated to their original field of study. This will continue to be a huge problem for the Philippines because there are lots of good teachers here but keeping them in the classroom is another story.

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2014, 07:45:21 PM »

Well, to be fair, my wife deals with customers from the US who have no idea where the Philippines is... She had one the other day who admitted to her that she hadn't studied HISTORY (I kid you not) enough to know where the Philippines is. My wife corrected the customer.. "you mean geography?".

But to get back on topic, my wife has a few close friends that were teachers and all of them but two have left to work overseas and the ones that haven't left are working at BPO's, totally unrelated to their original field of study. This will continue to be a huge problem for the Philippines because there are lots of good teachers here but keeping them in the classroom is another story.

This made me laugh.  The part about Americans not knowing where the Philippines is at.  When I was married to my ex she went to a hair stylist and got her hair done up.  When she was done they told her if she could get 5 more people to go and get their hair done there, she'd get a free session.  So she sent me.  I wait for my turn, then tell them before I sit I am there for Jocelyn to get a mark on her card towards earning a free session.  The lady who was in charge of it looked for the name and said "got it".  The lady cutting my hair looked at me as if studying me, then said "the pretty blonde is your wife?". 
"No, my wife is brown with black hair and is 100% Filipina"
"oh" she said. "From central america."
"ummm, no. She's Filipina."
now indignant she puts attitude into her voice as if I dare challenge her."Yes, so she's latina."
I look at the other 2 ladies cutting hair who are both listening in and sorta looking for a response.  Finally, not wanting a bad haircut, but also not wanting to keep someone ignorant, I ask a young girl(maybe junior high age) if she knows how to use the internet(the beauty shop had a computer for those who were waiting).  When she said yes, I asked her to search the Philippines. 
She found it and on some site was a rundown on the Philippines.  She started reading it and of course one of the first couple lines states it's an Asian country.  It's at that point I make the statement "Asia is a long way across the Pacific from Central America." 
"Oh."
My hair wasn't screwed up, and I was able to inform at least a few ladies to where in the world the Philippines were.  Well, at least in general. 
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline ralfy

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2016, 11:54:10 AM »
Some data I gathered on PH public education:

- class size of around 50 or more, and in several cases, students of two grade levels crammed in one room;

- 7-pct drop out rate per year, which means up to 70 pct of those who enter Grade 1 never graduate from high school;

- ratio of around 2:1 for students to books, chairs, etc.;

- around 50 pct of schools lack one or more of the ff.: potable water, electricity, roofs, doors, blackboards, desks, etc.;

- major lack of facilities for libraries, sports areas, infirmaries, and more;

- until recently, many teachers were not able to pass licensing exams, and significant numbers could not pass exams that they gave to their own students;

- very poor pay and working conditions for teachers;

- from what I read in the past, there was an automatic promotion policy; i.e., even if the student failed one or more subjects, he was promoted to the next grade level because classes were already full;

- some international studies reveal that many kids are undernourished.

Massive reforms will obviously be needed to improve the system.

Offline iamjames

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2016, 03:05:21 PM »
That's a good summary Ralfy - and true. I work in a few schools here and generally the facilities are really primitive. My January project will be to buy seats for a class of about 40 students who presently have to sit on the floor.  This is common.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog