Author Topic: Departure Countries  (Read 3239 times)

Offline medic3500

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Departure Countries
« on: June 23, 2013, 01:46:33 PM »
I am leaning strongly towards Thailand more specific Chiang Mai as my destination when I have to do my departure thing in a few months. Will only be spending a few days, has anyone from the group been there. Of course I would like to keep the cost in the minimum to moderate range preferably on the lower end. Any personal favorite places, hotels etc. Would like to hear from you and your experiences. This will be my first time to that area of Thailand. Been to Bangkok a couple times when I was young, dumb, full of ---. Never was disappointed by the excitement and entertainment. Now I'm older, wiser and attached at the hip (can be debated) just looking for a place to chill for a couple days.
Thanks Dan

Offline coleman2347

• ole jarhead, Tacloban City, Leyte
  • Sr Member
  • Retired Marine, Retired DOD
Re: Departure Countries
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 01:52:56 PM »
Dan, If you don't mind me asking, where else have you tried, I have to do the same around Sept...just looking for somewhere cheap, easy..Thanks Lee
The only thing worse than wanting to do it is not doing it

Offline medic3500

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 04:27:12 PM »
Lee, This will be my first departure since I permanently moved here. Prior to that I was flying back and forth to the states. Now that the pension has kicked in those frequent jaunts are over.

Online bigrod

• Retired USAF Club Mgmt Supt, Personnel Supt & 1st Sgt
  • Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 06:37:27 PM »
Dan,

Went there early Jun 2013.  Stayed Soi 10 Sukhumvit hotel now called Galleria 10 was a Ramada Encore last year.  Thought the location was great and great for the price.

http://www.galleriatenbangkok.com/

http://www.asiarooms.com/en/thailand/bangkok/224800-galleria_10_sukhumvit_bangkok_(formerly_ramada_encore).html

Chuck
Life is  to short not to live it right the first time

Offline Big Jim

• The foreigner equivalent of an OFW
  • Sr Member
    • Big Jims Philippines Experience
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 07:03:23 PM »
How many months have you been in the Philippines?
I used to wonder what it would be like to read other people's minds.

Then I got a facebook account and now I am over it.

Offline coleman2347

• Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 12:44:06 PM »
I've been here about 26 months, last time I went to Malaysia for the day, don't remember the cost, its a pretty country very nice people. The only thing was I got some bs by immigration people coming back thru Manila at something like 3am...I was lucky I had the ongoing ticket to Singapore in my pocket.  I haven't decided where to go next time, probably in Oct.  Somewhere cheap..was even thinking Guam to see what the bases are like now that they  have moved a bunch of Marines off Okinawa.  Only thing I know for certain is that I will come back thru Cebu next time....I think Phil Air Express has some good prices to Singapore and Hong Kong..

Offline medic3500

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2013, 02:32:45 PM »
Lee, My daughter has lived in Guam for the past couple of years and I have a couple ex-in-laws that live there. The kiddo says it is pretty and nice but very crowded and expensive. She is a school teacher, but I recently was informed she elected not to teach this year as she makes more money as a bartender and server in one of the swanky resort clubs.  She says the resorts are overrun by Korean and Japanese tourist but most tip well and that's all she cares about. lol, gotta love your kids.

Offline coleman2347

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2013, 03:06:37 PM »
Dan, It was crowded back when I was flying through there...expensive also...would be nice to be able to go to the exchange/px again..I'm running out of cool tshirts .....I never went through there as a civilian but I guess you would get a US stamp on your passport.  Your daughter is a smart girl, the Japs and Koreans do tip great..and from when I was stationed in Japan and Korea, those guys are party animals .....I will look up the flights and let you know what I find out....Lee

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog