Author Topic: Mugged-Stranded in Manila-HELP!!-----Scam  (Read 3568 times)

Offline hitekcountry

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Mugged-Stranded in Manila-HELP!!-----Scam
« on: June 27, 2013, 04:06:53 AM »
Hello,

I'm writing this with tears in my eyes,my family and I came down here to Manila Philippines for a short vacation and we were mugged at gun point last night at the park of the hotel where we lodged,all cash and credit card were stolen off us but luckily for us we still have our passports with us...

We've been to the Embassy and the Police here,but they're not helping issues at all they asked us to wait for 3weeks but we can't wait till then and our flight leaves in few hours from now but we're having problems settling the hotel bills and the hotel manager won't let us leave until we settle the hotel bills,we are freaked out at the moment...Well I really need your financially assistance...Please let me know if you can help us out,Write me back so i can tell you how to get it to me..

This is from an E-mail a friend of mine just received from someone he knows. The thing is this was sent from an E-mail address his friend no longer uses. So yes this is a scam. My friend figured this out right away because of the E-mail address, and also that his friend was not likely to ever be in the Philippines.

Would he have been fooled if it was an E-mail with my name on it and if I was in the Philippines at the time? I think I’m going to notify all my friends and relatives that if they receive any type of plea such as this that is supposedly from me, to NOT send any money under any circumstance.  :o :-\  :D :D :D

So just a FYI this type of crap is going on – beware.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: Mugged-Stranded in Manila-HELP!!-----Scam
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 07:00:05 AM »
Yep, I've seen it a hundred times at least.  I've even had friends who got scammed out of $1000's of dollars for stranded wives, sick children and hospital bills, stolen passports, plane tickets, etc, etc, etc.  This is one reason we believe in being a member of a group like ours so that you see these stories before you become the target.  I'm glad your friend wasn't sucked into the scam. 
Louisville, KY USA

Offline coleman2347

• ole jarhead, Tacloban City, Leyte
  • Sr Member
  • Retired Marine, Retired DOD
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 11:29:24 AM »
Last year a friend of mine on another site, dealing with 4x4's...notified me that he thought my email had been compromised, sure enough when I checked, my email and all my contacts had been stolen....leading me to have to start another email...I have no idea how it happens as I am not that cool on computers and have Avast and some other stuff that supposedly prevent stuff like that...It seems that yahoo is more venerable than gmail...but can't swear to that...I am sure some of you like Jack would know....
The only thing worse than wanting to do it is not doing it

Offline suzukig1

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 12:38:33 PM »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/06/08/AR2010060802626.html

In 'phishing' scams, purported acquaintances claim to be stranded abroad
By Christopher Elliott
Special to The Washington Post
Sunday, June 13, 2010

…It had all the hallmarks of a trip from hell. And the e-mail, which ostensibly came from a reader I had corresponded with back in 2008, seemed equally genuine. "I really don't mean to inconvenience you right now," he wrote. But he was stuck in London. Would I be willing to wire him $940 so he could get home?

Only it wasn't real…

…Phishing is the act of sending a message that claims to be from a friend in an effort to obtain personal data or money…

Offline intocebu

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 05:51:58 AM »
I got a Spam Email in my Regular Mail Supposedly sent from the resort we stayed at in Bohol in 2011-2012 saying i am stuck in another country and needed 2400 american Dollars to get home and sent it to western union didnt even waste my time spammed it right away....Dave

Offline Metz

• Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 07:45:50 PM »
I had someone try that to me.  Saying they were stuck in Manila.  I tried to get them to give me more info and con them into a meet so I could get them arrested, but no luck.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog