Author Topic: The reality is I can now move !!  (Read 2924 times)

Offline jonnyivy

• Sr Member
The reality is I can now move !!
« on: August 30, 2013, 04:32:22 AM »
Hey guys,...I'm checking in again,... it's me,..your trusted grizzly Scotsman,...long time since I posted here,..but as this was my first ever forum that I joined I thought it right to post my "shout outs" for the members here.
You see,...we always had this vision,...me and my wife,...to sell up and go live in our house over in Phils ( Cebu province).
Well ,..after many months of talking,..working out what's the best for us all,...we decided to put our house here on the market to 'test the water'.
Wow,...yesterday we got a viewing organised by the local estate agent,...and we received an offer for the money we wanted today !! ( thought the housing market was on it's knees)
So now instead of just dreaming of our life over there,..suddenly it has become a reality,...and boy has it hit me and my wife hard !!
We now have the choice we were always waiting for,...but let me tell you,...it aint all that simple. My mind has been working overtime ever since I found out , there is soooo much to work out,... things to organise,... a hundred different situations to see to,..  no wonder my wife has stopped eating and has a sore head !
I really want to go over, I can see a future for my kids and us over there , ... I just have had enough of living here in UK for the time being.  I want to get away from the stress of running a business and paying through the nose for damn near everything,...and of coarse the dreaded taxes..
wish me luck guys,...I need some,... the potential buyers have asked to move in by end of October,...that's only 8 weeks away !!!!!!

Jonny..
A True Friend Is Someone Who Sees the Pain in Your Eyes While Everyone Else Believes the Smile on Your Face

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
Re: The reality is I can now move !!
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 07:08:36 AM »
Good to see your post jonny! Yeah it's been a while! Relocating is sure hard work mentally and physically, but the end result is worth it most of the time when one is really prepared for it and it seems you and wife are getting the hang of it since the reality of it has set in! It's a nervous, exciting and yet a happy feeling full of anxieties eh! 
I wish you and your family well on your move to the Philippines!
"Live Long and Prosper" (Spock)!  :)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 07:40:59 AM by Art, re(tired) Fil/Am »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 07:27:07 AM »
Jonny old boy!  That's terrific news!!  I wish you and the family all the best!  Keep in touch when you have time.   :) :)
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 09:15:18 AM »
Relocating can be stressful but we made it easier by renting out our bungalow in the UK first. Just a precaution in case there were problems. We did sell it a couple of years later but lost money by doing it that way, we should have sold up immediately.
You won't regret it, good luck with the move.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 08:59:10 PM »
The best of luck Johnny, hope it all works out great for you and family.

Yup there is lots to do and do not forget to tell your credit card companies and banks you will be in the Philippines on an extended vacation (moved might get some cancelled which is another thing to check on) and to put in a change of address with your mail service hopefully to a local friend or family member.

Also look at any cards you might have and try to get new ones with later expiration dates if that applies to the UK. I find the hardest thing for us when we only stay for four months at a time is that things happen we never expected to happen while away such as mail comes in that I never thought would and which needs my immediate reply such as a pension needing to verify I am still alive and an important ATM card expired while we were away. There might be mail that only comes yearly or every few years that we forget about, so be sure to look at all your old papers and make a list of everything you can think of that needs to be done.

My wife and I moved recently to another place in Florida which is our home base and even after a year of keeping mail and notifying everyone we could think of, still some mail ended up forwarded such as refunds from utilities and insurance that we thought we had notified.  :o

A move can be stressful but with proper planning it will go smoother.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline paulgee

• Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2013, 11:11:20 PM »
Congratulations Jonny, on your decision and also the luck in selling your house so quickly. It must be an omen! Fortunately the housing market is just starting to recover here now, but very slowly.

As you say there are a thousand and one things to organise in a short time, but in my mind the most important thing to have tied up is your money situation. As you will know there is not much leeway for expats who are down on their financial luck in the Philippines, and if you are not 100% certain you can hack it there with your funding you could be unlucky.

When you get there, if you don't have it already, get Philhealth which will cover all of your family (6 months after you start paying it) so if one of you ends up in hospital a good chunk of fees will be paid by Philhealth. And also ensure you have financial reserves to cover any such emergency.

I am sure you know the day to day costs etc etc and if it is doable you will be a  happy bunny there I am sure.
Your wife must be really stressed if she is not eating, I don't know of any filipina who doesn't snack at least every couple of hours!

We spent 3 months out there last year in our new house, and enjoyed every minute. We would still be there but family commitments mean that is at present delayed, so we are enjoying the frustrations of the UK, as you presently are.

Good luck, and let us know how it progresses - so we can learn from your experiences - mistakes and all  :)
Will you be renting, or do you hope to buy your own place?

Paul

Based in the UK, and part time in our San Fernando, Pampanga house

Offline jonnyivy

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2013, 04:28:05 AM »
Paul,...we already own our own house over there in Cebu province. We have had it for nigh on 5 years I think.
The banking side I have yet to venture into. I would like to know which bank has the best and easiest way of transfering money from UK to Cebu ? I already have internet banking here in UK , but I'd like to open an account with a bank that has a local branch both here and over there with internet banking too ?

Thanks to all who replied,

Jonny
A True Friend Is Someone Who Sees the Pain in Your Eyes While Everyone Else Believes the Smile on Your Face

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2013, 05:48:57 AM »
Paul,...we already own our own house over there in Cebu province. We have had it for nigh on 5 years I think.
The banking side I have yet to venture into. I would like to know which bank has the best and easiest way of transfering money from UK to Cebu ? I already have internet banking here in UK , but I'd like to open an account with a bank that has a local branch both here and over there with internet banking too ?

Jonny

HSBC is right next to Ayala but probably not any branches outside the city.  http://www.hsbc.com.ph/1/2/home]  [url]http://www.hsbc.com.ph/1/2/home[/url]
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2013, 09:02:56 AM »

Jonny

I would recommend the BPI bank because it has a subsidiary, BPI Europe, in London. You can transfer money into a BPI Europe account free, and then do an immediate transfer of large sums of money, for a very small fee, into your Philippine account via the BPI online service. I have just done that and got a surprising p69.5 exchange rate for the UK pound.

HSBC Philippines is not the same as HSBC UK although they belong to the same parent company. Also, as someone as pointed out, HSBC Philippines has a very limited number of branches. I am not sure if you can use their ATM cards on the two major ATM networks.

Offline meylou

• Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2013, 11:20:22 AM »
Congratulations, Jonny! Good luck on making your move to Cebu.
BPI has many branches in Cebu City and I think they have better exchange rates than most banks here.
Have fun packing and again, lots of luck to you and your wife.
What we think we become... Buddha
:)

Offline paulgee

• Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2013, 08:42:13 PM »
From the replies above everyone has their own favoured way of sending funds, so I will tell you ours and you will have another option.

We send money regularly to Shirleys family (Metrobank), and also to Shirleys account there (PNB). Shirley opened an account with PNB at their Notting Hill Gate branch in London, giving them our debit card details. She can then either phone them or email a request for them to transfer monies to either our account in the Philippines or to her sisters. Once requested the transfer is immediate to her PNB account, but takes 3 days to other banks in the Philippine, our UK bank account then automatically being debited.

At present she phones, but when we are based in the Philippines then it would appear an easy option to request by email.

Much easier you having a property there already, takes away a lot of worry, and you can get settled in straight away. Hope all the preparations go well. Jealous - moi?

Paul
Based in the UK, and part time in our San Fernando, Pampanga house

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2013, 10:09:51 PM »
I use BPI in the Philippines as well, so if they have a branch in the UK then IMO that would be a great choice.

As for HSBC, I cannot speak for the UK but I have friends who have US HSBC accounts and use their ATM card at the HSBC branch in Ayala and have had no issues and according to them get close to the exchange rate but like most things in the Philippines, everything is subject to possible change so IMO it is best to have a few different ways of getting cash for the just in case times.

Offline jonnyivy

• Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2013, 02:34:03 AM »
Colin,...   can you just help a wee bit more ,...  if I opt for the BPI bank, how would I open an account here in UK ??... will there be a bank I can walk into up here in Scotland as you say they have one in London but thats too far away for me to go.  Obviously there will be one in Cebu so I can open one there (or in my wife's name) .
I'm just looking for a way to safely take funds from my own BOS bank here and transfer it over in traunches when I need it. We already have internet banking.
And thank you all very much for your good wishes.

Jonny 'the Ivy' !!

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2013, 07:35:07 AM »
Colin,...   can you just help a wee bit more ,...  if I opt for the BPI bank, how would I open an account here in UK ??... will there be a bank I can walk into up here in Scotland as you say they have one in London but thats too far away for me to go.  Obviously there will be one in Cebu so I can open one there (or in my wife's name) .
I'm just looking for a way to safely take funds from my own BOS bank here and transfer it over in traunches when I need it. We already have internet banking.
And thank you all very much for your good wishes.

Jonny 'the Ivy' !!

Hi Jonny,

The only BPI connection in the UK is the BPI Europe subsidiary and the only branch is in London. I think you would need to be in the Philippines to open a BPI Philippine account. We opened the BPI Europe account online from the Philippines, so I guess you could do the same from the UK.

Here are a few contacts:-

BPI Philippines       www.bpiexpressonline.com

BPI Europe             www.bpieuropeplc.com
Email                      bpinoy@bpieuropeplc.com
Telephone               (+44) 207 835 0088
                                (+44) 207 373 1848

You make transactions on BPI Europe through the bpiexpressonline web site.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog