Author Topic: Cagayan de Oro - HELP  (Read 8286 times)

Offline iamjames

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Cagayan de Oro - HELP
« on: September 16, 2013, 07:12:46 PM »
Where do expats meet here? I am Irish and I urgently need help!!! There is NO NORMAL BAR here! I will have to meet some local expats and learn where to go. I am staying long term in the Philtown Hotel off Velez. Across the road is a bar 'Star Entertainment' where they belt out ABBA, charge 250PHP for a small whiskey, Women are over 60 and there are men in DRESSES! jeez - and even they are ugly! Where and when should I go to a half 'normal' bar between here and SM?

Offline Steve & Myrlita

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • 1st Time with all 5 Grandchildren Together 2016!
Re: Cagayan de Oro - HELP
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 08:29:48 PM »
Where do expats meet here? I am Irish and I urgently need help!!! There is NO NORMAL BAR here! I will have to meet some local expats and learn where to go. I am staying long term in the Philtown Hotel off Velez. Across the road is a bar 'Star Entertainment' where they belt out ABBA, charge 250PHP for a small whiskey, Women are over 60 and there are men in DRESSES! jeez - and even they are ugly! Where and when should I go to a half 'normal' bar between here and SM?
Sorry I just had to laugh at that one!  :D :D Remember...Only in the Philippines! God Bless......

Thank you...God Bless...
Bro Steve & Sis Myrlita
Bacolod City, PH

Offline wildbill

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 08:35:32 PM »
LOL out Loud sorry no Bars in San Juan Batangas also if you ever go to Tagaytay just Behind Star buck coffee shop on FRIday and Saturday nites around 7pm many expates there.

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 11:17:13 PM »
LOL out Loud sorry no Bars in San Juan Batangas also if you ever go to Tagaytay just Behind Star buck coffee shop on FRIday and Saturday nites around 7pm many expates there.

So what is so interesting behind Starbuck's.  Poker game or they got roosters?
Whatever floats your boat.

Offline meylou

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 12:45:49 AM »
 :D  that's funny... at least you know they're men  ;)
What we think we become... Buddha
:)

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 01:52:47 AM »
IamJames, sorry but I do not know of any normal bars there, there are some restaurant that serve alcohol but I do not remember seeing any real pubs. I am sure someone who lives there will chime in with a better answer than I can give you but you might wish to have coffee or breakfast at the Mcdo on the Divisoria where you should bump into quite a few expats that seem to have breakfast there daily every time I have stopped in for breakfast.

You will also find CDO Expats on Facebook so that might help you meet some https://www.facebook.com/pages/Expats-Cagayan-De-Oro/423086327741860

Enjoy CDO it is a great city IMHO.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 03:20:13 AM by Gray Wolf »
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline wildbill

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 07:02:00 AM »

So what is so interesting behind Starbuck's.  Poker game or they got roosters?
mostly Roosters but many Hens around

Offline iamjames

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 10:07:32 AM »
WO hoo - found a great place just 100 metres away. The Inilog Grill. Bench seats and tables that would take about 200, excellent food, really great service and value,  and 'country music'. Well - the music is a mix but beatles to country style played reasonably (only mezzo forte) - not blasted out by screeching Tina Turner types (with laryngitis and while having their toenails extracted). They also have 4 dartboards and plenty of sports TV. The owner is NUTS. seriously. He told me his name is Eduardo but his nickname is Nuts! I would strongly recommend it to anyone.

Offline graham

• Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2013, 10:46:52 AM »
James,

If you had read my previous post to you when you asked a similar question, I told you that you can go to Kingston Lodge just past SM going towards the old airport.
Any taxi driver will know it. You can also go to Flamenco Restaurant in Divisoria. Flamenco Resto is back from Inilog,
going away from Gaisano.

Both venues have expats there, especially on a Wed. Flamenco is in Gomez St. between Burgos and Capistrano.

If you come to Flamenco on Wed. about 11.30am ask for me and I'll introduce you around.
I will be leaving there after a couple of hours and will go to KL. I can introduce you up there as well. I would be unable to transport you there as I only have a 2 seater car. But a taxi will cost you around Php100

KL has expats there on a Fri. and Sat. night as well. On the 3rd Sat of each month My mate Danny also hosts a bbq night.

Another place that expats go on a Sat. night is to a resto called Daru which hosts Country and Western nights.

Graham 

Offline graham

• Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2013, 10:50:33 AM »
IamJames, sorry but I do not know of any normal bars there, there are some restaurant that serve alcohol but I do not remember seeing any real pubs. I am sure someone who lives there will chime in with a better answer than I can give you but you might wish to have coffee or breakfast at the Mcdo on the Divisoria where you should bump into quite a few expats that seem to have breakfast there daily every time I have stopped in for breakfast.

You will also find CDO Expats on Facebook so that might help you meet some https://www.facebook.com/pages/Expats-Cagayan-De-Oro/423086327741860

Enjoy CDO it is a great city IMHO.

Lee,

Strolled down to McDo, Divisoria, a couple of weeks ago. Gone man, empty shell LOL.
McDo near LKK doesn't have a good roll-up of expats either.

Graham

Offline wildbill

• Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2013, 04:52:22 PM »
Most expat I have ever meet dont talk much they seem to be loners. as for me I will make eye contact and go as far as to say hello some times  mostly its just a node of the head while passing.the one I saw in Robinson mall in Lipa the other day when I looked at him he Turn red as an apple for some reason and turned away why was he so red IDK.now I have meet some that you can have a short conversation with your rite ART we talk to much on I guess :)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 07:47:10 PM by wildbill »

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2013, 04:56:13 PM »
They only talk a lot on expat forums or maybe just a wee bit in CDO!  ??? :o
Me, I too am the quiet and shy type in person! Yeah right!  ;)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 06:27:49 PM by Art, re(tired) Fil/Am »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline medic3500

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2013, 07:14:12 PM »
I have found myself that other expats are kinda standoffish. If I see another expat in our local SM I will always try to say hi. I have had a couple go as far as turn around and walk away when they saw me. I know I'm scary looking but don't be so rude about it.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2013, 07:21:34 PM »
Lee,

Strolled down to McDo, Divisoria, a couple of weeks ago. Gone man, empty shell LOL.
McDo near LKK doesn't have a good roll-up of expats either.

Graham

Wow! A Mcdo that closed up, I do not think I have ever heard of one closing, thanks for the heads up. Glad you answered IamJames, nothing better than boots on the ground to be up to date on current affairs. BTW there is also a Mcdo right around the corner off the Divisoria just past Dunkin Donuts turn right across from the college and just across from PNB bank that my wife and I liked to eat breakfast at because it was quieter and more college ladies for me to look at  ;) but as of April of this year few expats there as well, maybe some migrated to that one.

I have always found that most of the expats in the CDO group to be very friendly, I am sure IamJames will find some friends among them.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2013, 02:34:15 AM »
I have found myself that other expats are kinda standoffish. If I see another expat in our local SM I will always try to say hi. I have had a couple go as far as turn around and walk away when they saw me. I know I'm scary looking but don't be so rude about it.

I've seen them, too.  Anti-social misfits... forget about them.  They're probably so far out of their element they're scraping the edge of the envelope. 

;)
Louisville, KY USA

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog