Author Topic: Cagayan de Oro - HELP  (Read 7735 times)

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
Re: Cagayan de Oro - HELP
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2013, 10:56:34 PM »
   Just to be clear, I didn't mean to imply that all military retirees in the Philippines are like the two I described.  I will say that the ones I have encountered in the Angeles/Subic area tend to be one of two kinds. Either they have adapted to the way it is now and are reasonably happy with their lives, or they are truly miserable. I speculate the latter group expected their lives to be just the way they were when the US bases were around and are unhappy because things have changed.
Well Mikbal,
There you go! You mentioned the two reasons why ex-military retirees aren't happy! ANGELES & SUBIC!
I've experienced living in both places and I didn't like either area, except in my younger days when I was young, dumb and full of it!  ??? :o ;)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 11:06:28 PM by Art, re(tired) Fil/Am »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline BudM

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2013, 12:45:46 PM »
Years ago I noticed what a bad rap Filipina have a tendency to get from a lot of people.  Having spent 40 years working with Filipinas and living in a military town, I am a firm believer that military and/or ex-military has been a large contributer to that bad rap.  Yeah, the guys who have been to the Philipppines, but were never outside of Subic area or Angeles City.  When I was active duty, I never went on a WestPac cruise.  My first Med cruise was the first cruise the carrier had made after it's previous one (a WestPac with stops in Subic).  The guys who made that cruise, in general, were unhappy whenever we pulled in a port.  All you ever heard out of them was how it was in Subic Bay.  Blah, blah, blah, they never stopped talking about what went on there.  To this day (in 2013), if you talk about the Philippines, guys who fit in that group will still do nothing blah, blah, blah, about how things were in Subic.  And the Air Force guys, all you ever hear about it Angeles City.  And believe me, I have asked most of them if they were ever any place else other than those two places and the answer was always no.  I spent a lot of time going back and forth to the carriers my squadron was on in Norfolk, VA and funny thing is, it basically like outside of Gate #2 was at one time except a larger scale.  I imagine just like San Diego too.
Whatever floats your boat.

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2013, 01:06:23 PM »
Bud,
You mentioned San Diego! I grew up in San Diego during my Junior High School days!
I know what you mean by the Navy base there being like Subic and sort of like Angeles City!
Yup! Lots of wild swinging single, married and divorced Filipinas there! The decent ones stayed
home or worked for an earnest living for their family when their Navy husband left them for another!
It ain't even near close to CDO as mentioned in this topic, so as to remain on topic again!  ??? :o 
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 01:36:34 PM by Art, re(tired) Fil/Am »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline BudM

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2013, 01:11:09 PM »
Yeah, we are getting off topic.
Whatever floats your boat.

Offline graham

• Sr Member
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2013, 11:03:23 AM »
Lee,

Strolled down to McDo, Divisoria, a couple of weeks ago. Gone man, empty shell LOL.
McDo near LKK doesn't have a good roll-up of expats either.

Graham

Wow! A Mcdo that closed up, I do not think I have ever heard of one closing, thanks for the heads up. Glad you answered IamJames, nothing better than boots on the ground to be up to date on current affairs. BTW there is also a Mcdo right around the corner off the Divisoria just past Dunkin Donuts turn right across from the college and just across from PNB bank that my wife and I liked to eat breakfast at because it was quieter and more college ladies for me to look at  ;) but as of April of this year few expats there as well, maybe some migrated to that one.

I have always found that most of the expats in the CDO group to be very friendly, I am sure IamJames will find some friends among them.

Lee,

I have been thinking about the McDo store and am wondering if it is having a makeover. I'll wander around there in a couple of weeks or so and take another look.

There is, just around the corner from there, a small bar that a lot of expats go to nightly. Could it be because of the young ladies who hang around there??? LOL

By the way, iamjames didn't appear to take up my invitation to introduce him around. I suspect he might have been in Ginoog City checking out a young lady!!!
A big roll-up of foreigners at Flamenco Resto on Wed. maybe 28+

Graham

Offline graham

• Sr Member
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2013, 11:21:29 AM »
Apologies for my late reply here but the hotel had no internet (or phone) for a few days. Sorry, I misread your response Graham - and went to Flamenco's last night about 8! No one there. I asked the waitress and she said expats had been there earlier. She said there would be more on Friday. What Time? I might just leave it til Wed. next. Loved the seafood chowder though!
Looking at the other comments about strange expats, I have encountered them everywhere. Many seem to be expats out of necessity rather than by choice, for various nefarious reasons, and they behave accordingly: aggressive and ignorant towards the locals. I could honestly say that in my travels I have met more bad expats than natives wherever I went. As for talking with them - I greet all expats and will bore anyone with long conversations. I find more often that I get an ignorant reaction rather than friendliness - as referred to above. It is a sad reality of expats. Unfortunately I have found generally that most of the expats from my own country, Ireland, have been totally obnoxious. I have never struck anyone in my adult life - but on at least three occasions I have been driven to the limits by expat Irish. I hate it when they are totally disrespectful to natives. Anyway - cy'all soon. I need to research the visa forum and get started on extensions.

James,

I thought I would have put in the times for you, sorry. Fri. night at Flamenco is a buffet night starting at 6pm.
A few foreigners get there. Look for a big (rotund) American guy named Mike Farrel. Tell him we have
been corresponding and he will introduce you around, if I'm not there.
Wed. at Flamenco start around 9am+ I will be there about 11am.

Wed. at Kingston Lodge starts about 10am. I may go there after staying at Flamenco for a while.
Food is good at KL.
Sat. night is also good. Live music and a BBQ every 3rd Sat. of the month.

I have been having trouble with my PC. I think the I'net card is cracked. Keep losing my connection.
Don't know if you follow horse racing, I don't, but have a couple of Irish friends who visit at KL every
Xmas time. They work for Ballymore Stud or Racing. Not sure of the correct title. Good guys, lousy singers LOL.

Graham

Offline iamjames

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2013, 12:06:20 PM »
Thanks for that Graham. I'll probably get there Friday. Yes - I know a few trainers and jockeys in Ireland so I will have to meet those lads at Christmas.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog