Author Topic: New power lines  (Read 1525 times)

Offline Frosty

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
New power lines
« on: September 29, 2013, 11:15:50 PM »
My wife told me that the power company will be replacing the power line near our property on Bohol and there are some trees that will need to be removed for this new power line.
Here in the U.S. the power co. normally will let the land owner know what is going to happen show them the location of the new lines, acquire any easements for the new line and any tree removal will be the responsibility of the power co.  and pay for any damage to private property. The trees are property of the land owner and they can tell the power co. to remove them or leave them on the ground for the owner to deal with.
Has anyone run into this problem in the past and how did you take care of it?

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
Re: New power lines
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 11:56:21 PM »
Have not run into that problem.  But based on that, I do have a funny story.

Our family farm was inherited by my father.  So when I was a kid, and my grandfather still owned the land, he had a massive, and I mean massive tree.  it was 3 oaks that were close to each other and grew into one tree.  My dad, brother and I could not reach our arms around it when we held hands. (this is when I was about 8, and my bro 5, not when grown ups). 

The power company decided to move the wires off the road and back onto the land.  They ran the wires quite literally through a large portion of that tree.  But, rather than cut it down left it up and just cut the branches.  Now fast forward 30 years and the tree kept growing, and in a big windstorm broke some branches that damaged the lines.  The power company came out and saw it, fixed it, and told us that WE had to cut the tree down.  My dad, being a grump like his dad, and a nature lover said ok and didn't do a thing.
About 4 years later, another wind storm, and again, damage to the lines.  This time my brother, dad and myself pulled up chairs and watched as it took the power company workers 2 days to cut the tree down.  And there is still a 6 foot high massive stump in the back yard. 
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 12:19:38 AM by Gray Wolf »
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline Frosty

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: New power lines
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2013, 10:38:50 PM »
We solved the tree problem.

My wife's sisters helper watches over the our property and in exchange gets to harvest all of the fruit from the trees and farms the land. We hired him last summer on his day off to clean and plant more fruit trees. He's a good kid works hard and is planning to go back to school as soon as he saves enough money.

My wife had him take pictures of all the trees that need to be removed and put them on his facebook so she could see what was needing to happen.There are 5 trees that need to be removed 3 of them are big enough to cut up for lumber (50 to 60 feet tall ). We were planning to cut down the trees anyway and use them when we build our house, they were going to be in the way of the driveway and the fence.

The helper thinks he can take care of the problem for us and it will not cost us anything, he is planning on selling 2 of the trees to the carpenters building a house next to our property and the third tree he is planning to cut up for lumber to use at home. The other trees he plans to cut up for fire wood and sell.

Problem solved and it cost nothing.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog