Author Topic: New SHOP WISE just opened in Laguna Central Mall! "Soft Opening"!  (Read 4890 times)

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
https://foursquare.com/v/shopwise-sta-rosa-laguna-central-mall/5221a9fe11d2264c1209f331

The grand opening isn't until Oct 4, but they have what they call their soft opening, which I guess means they are still stocking up and finishing minor construction that's still going on!

Looks functional to me since we were there a couple of times now! Their produce, meats, fish and poultry section is excellent! They even have a lot of nice Aussie meats of all kind!
I was disappointed though with their sports, appliance, furniture, TV, stereos and other cheap electronics stuff, just a bunch of cheap unknown name brand, no computer stuff except for a "Brothers" printer, memory sticks, USB dongle and a few cellphones!
Their bakery section was so so! I guess it's too early yet, but from what we've seen, it'll do fine for our weekly grocery shopping and also at South Supermarket just across the intersection from Laguna Central Mall and we live just 2 blocks away from both of them! South Supermarket does have an excellent bakery shop, "The French Baker" and an excellent Deli shop for all sorts "cold cut" sandwiches "to go"! :)

(See thumb nail pic below of our Laguna Central Mall, SHOP WISE
is the only store open, other portions are still under construction)

« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 02:01:26 AM by Art, re(tired) Fil/Am »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline Metz

• Sr Member
Re: New SHOP WISE just opened in Laguna Central Mall! "Soft Opening"!
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 07:43:52 PM »
We stopped using Shopwise and switched to Cherry Foodarama.  Comparing prices Cherry has a better price, and more of the western goodies we buy.  I especially like the new American made Spam alternative.  As cheap as Ma Ling in price, less greasy and lower salt than spam.

Their vegetable sections isn't so great. Only buy potatoes and eggplant there.  the meat section has 3 separate vendors, although the beef is not good.  Actually we seldom eat beef any more due to the cost and low quality.

They even have chipotle chiles, dry pinto beans, and canned pie filling.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 11:48:41 PM by Gray Wolf »

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 12:13:13 AM »
Cherry Foodarama.  I haven't heard or saw those.  So, you say their vegetable section isn't so great and the beef is not good?  Well, it is a good thing they have better prices.  I don't think I will be in a hurry to find one though.
Whatever floats your boat.

Offline Metz

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 08:12:38 AM »
There are very few good beef sellers in the Philippines.  That Australian and NZ stuff is terrible and slaughtered to Halal standard which is against my religion and tastes bad to boot.

Offline Palawan Aussie

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 05:33:08 PM »
There are very few good beef sellers in the Philippines.  That Australian and NZ stuff is terrible and slaughtered to Halal standard which is against my religion and tastes bad to boot.

One expects you've probably purchased water buffalo from Indonesia, or elsewhere, labelled as Australian beef.

"Australia exported 937,301 tonnes of beef and veal in 2010-11, worth $4.5 billion. The major export markets for beef are Japan (37%), the United States (17%) and Korea (15%). Australia is the 2nd largest beef exporter." http://www.nff.org.au/commodities-beemf-cattle.html

The Philippines is a tiny market for Australian beef, (around 20k tonnes) and 86% of that beef we export to the Phils is canned or is sausage etc etc anyway. So, what are the chances any steak is actually from here? In Australia my wife and I eat beef two or three times a week. Honestly we cannot remember the last time a steak was tough, maybe once 15 years ago? The export standards are extremely tough, and exactly the same standards as for domestic consumption. That's why Japan and America buys the majority (37% and 17%) of all Australian live beef exports. How you'd go about ensuring it's genuine Aussie steak, I wouldn't know Metz, besides being expensive.

Cheers,
Stephen

Offline wildbill

• Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 09:06:24 PM »
I may be wrong,but all the bulls here seem to still have there man hood.maybe that's why the beef tastes bad. even the Hamburgers don't taste the same to me.besides they let them become so old before they kill them.

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 09:36:13 PM »
Now, I have gotten Australian beef here before and it has tasted decent but today, I picked up a pack of "RTC Aus Fresh Beef Burgers" at the Sucat ShopWise, got home and put me on a burger and for the first time here, I have bought beef that tasted like crap.  Am I reading the label wrong?  Not sure what RTC is but I assume the Aus is Australian.  Was only cooking one so I put it in the frying pan.  It appears that there was no fat in them.  I have cooked USDA burgers that were 97% lean with plenty of taste.  And I have had previously great tasting Australian Angus burgers.  Not even fresh but those frozen ones.  What the heck did I buy today?

Offline wildbill

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2013, 09:50:00 PM »
Now, I have gotten Australian beef here before and it has tasted decent but today, I picked up a pack of "RTC Aus Fresh Beef Burgers" at the Sucat ShopWise, got home and put me on a burger and for the first time here, I have bought beef that tasted like crap.  Am I reading the label wrong?  Not sure what RTC is but I assume the Aus is Australian.  Was only cooking one so I put it in the frying pan.  It appears that there was no fat in them.  I have cooked USDA burgers that were 97% lean with plenty of taste.  And I have had previously great tasting Australian Angus burgers.  Not even fresh but those frozen ones.  What the heck did I buy today?
IDK bud. but when I do buy hamburger meat here .I buy the ground chuck and the regular and mix them but still not so good.but its better than them being so dry when you cook them.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2013, 11:08:04 PM »
Not sure what RTC is

RTC = Ready To Cook    Why they label it that way is anyone's guess

Louisville, KY USA

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
Re: New SHOP WISE just opened in Laguna Central Mall!
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2013, 11:28:22 PM »
Or maybe, (RTC) "Get Ready To Chuck it out the window"!  :-\ ::) ???
My wife just bought me two 1" thick rib-eye Aussie steaks at Shop Wise today!
I just hope it's not the "RTC" kind by my own definition! ??? :o
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 11:33:50 PM by Art Re(tired) Fil/Am »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: New SHOP WISE just opened in Laguna Central Mall!
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2013, 05:58:05 AM »
Or maybe, (RTC) "Get Ready To Chuck it out the window"!  :-\ ::) ???
My wife just bought me two 1" thick rib-eye Aussie steaks at Shop Wise today!
I just hope it's not the "RTC" kind by my own definition! ??? :o

Marinade refrigerated steak for at least two hours in Worchestershire sauce, salt, pepper, garlic and onion, then cook in usual way.  Works every time for me!   :)
Louisville, KY USA

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2013, 12:56:00 PM »
WildBill posted: IDK bud. but when I do buy hamburger meat here .I buy the ground chuck and the regular and mix them but still not so good.but its better than them being so dry when you cook them.
Whenever I have gotten some type of ground beef, it was usually the ground sirloin from the ShopWise in Alabang at Festival Mall.  No matter where I have gotten ground though or any steaks, they have always been very good or at the least pretty decent.  Until this incident that is.  I am trying to recall when I have gotten beef at the Sucat store but I can't recall such.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 12:44:11 AM by Gray Wolf »

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog