Author Topic: Silent Eloquence  (Read 2887 times)

Offline Palawan Aussie

• Sr Member
Silent Eloquence
« on: October 14, 2013, 12:16:20 PM »
Artist Daniel de la Cruz opens his ‘Silent Eloquence’ Exhibit at the Pinto Art Museum

The Philippine Star | October 14, 2013 - 12:00am

MANILA, Philippines - Sculptor Daniel de la Cruz waxed philosophical when opening “Silent Eloquence,” his one-man exhibit at the Pinto Art Museum in Antipolo, City yesterday.

His art exhibit, “Silent Eloquence” was inspired by a quote from Mother Theresa, a quote which deeply touched the artist and serves as a guiding voice in his quest in life: “We need to find God, and he cannot be found in noise and restlessness. God is the friend of silence. See how nature — trees, flowers, grass — grow in silence. See the stars, the moon and the sun, how they move in silence ... We need silence to touch souls.”

Each work of De la Cruz features a deft blend of metals: brass, copper, lead, iron, bronze, nickel and even black chrome, which he bends, molds and carves by hand to create fluid and graceful oeuvres d’ art.  In “Silent Eloquence,” Daniel, who was a Philosophy major at UP, explores the quest for God and finding our true selves within the silence of our souls.

“Silent Eloquence” will be on view until Nov. 10 at the Pinto Art Museum located at No. 1 Sierra Madre, Grand Heights, in the 400-year-old Philippine hilltop city of Antipolo. For inquiries and directions, contact Cora 534-4073 or Mikey (0916) 318-7558.

Offline iamjames

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: Silent Eloquence
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 08:05:14 AM »
God forgive me PA but I consider myself a total philistine when it comes to the visual arts. I have walked the length and breadth of galleries and museums like the Orsay, Louvre and Vatican and somehow cannot be anything other than mildly curious. If I had a valuable painting my priority would be how much I could get for it, and the useful things (Like Harleys) I could buy to enjoy myself. Beautiful nature scenes, flowers, plants etc. I can certainly enjoy, but I am emotionally disabled in the realm of visual arts.

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 08:57:56 AM »
I enjoy some art, and the sculpture here looks interesting and very well 'sculptured' :)

I like to study a good painting to decide what makes it good. I try to modify some of my photographs to be 'in the style of' famous artists to give me my interpretation of something I could not possibly afford. I am also amused by these art critics that try to tell us how we should view something, I usually find it hard to see things through their eyes.

Offline paulgee

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 03:39:22 PM »
Yes, I am a bit of a philistine myself, without any depth of knowledge of the world of the arts. But having said that I do enjoy visiting art galleries and museums occasionally.

My favourite is the Tate Modern in London, where some of the modern items being exhibited can be quite interesting - and some of it is in my mind just junk. I find it helps to have some background knowledge of what one is viewing, or of the artist. At least then one has an informed view.

Entry to museums and art galleries in London is now free, is there an entry fee for exhibitions in the Philippines?

Paul
Based in the UK, and part time in our San Fernando, Pampanga house

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog