Author Topic: Super Typhoon Coming Friday  (Read 20104 times)

Offline Vicks

• Sr Member
Super Typhoon Coming Friday
« on: November 05, 2013, 11:48:26 AM »
This storm is a major event!

I have been looking at the data and it definitely looks as though it will reach Cat 4 status.

Current tracks have it making landfall in Samar on Friday.

Tell your family and friends to be prepared!
Never mistake knowledge for wisdom. One helps you make a living; the other helps you make a life.
-Sandra Carey

Offline suzukig1

• Sr Member

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
Philippines braces for incoming super typhoon Haiyan
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 08:55:25 PM »
http://www.sunstar.com.ph/breaking-news/2013/11/05/philippines-braces-incoming-super-typhoon-312241

Reports seem to think this will be a bad one, so I hope those of you who are in the Philippines, get ready just in case it is.

:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: Super Typhoon Coming Friday
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 11:07:07 PM »
The most recent typhoon hit northern Luzon last week.  We lost the roof of the family house in Buguey and the town was flooded for days.  No one has been able to make it out to the little house on the farm in Balza to see if it's still standing.  We lost all of our coconut palms, the current rice crop is damaged beyond salvage and our huge 50+ y/o mango tree in the backyard in Buguey was destroyed, uprooted by the high winds.

Now it looks as though the family in Metro Manila is in the cross-hairs with this new storm.  We're due to leave for the Philippines in 3 weeks.  We've been planning to visit Buguey during our visit and also to see the farm and the town where Gloria was raised. 

My father in law has been very ill, recovering from a week long bout in the hospital for treatment of kidney stones.  He was crying last night when I asked about Buguey and the farm.  He and I have been looking forward to being with each other and touring Buguey so he could show me all the wonderful things it offers away from the big city of Manila.  I'm just hoping there is something left for us to see.  I fear seeing it all destroyed will break his heart, and mine.   

Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline Palawan Aussie

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 12:10:33 AM »
Dear Jack,

Sincere condolences to you Jack, your wife Glo, and every member of your extended family.

This is indeed a tragedy. It's very sad to read of these happenings in the Phils and to your family.

All one can say is that Mary and myself will be praying for you and yours, and indeed everyone in the Phils in the coming days. My wife Mary woke this morning to ankle deep water throughout her house, for the first time ever, so we do also have some idea of the current problems and dangers. I'm sure everyone here will be shocked at your news and certainly share your concerns.

Best wishes Jack,
Stephen and Mary
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 03:28:42 AM by Gray Wolf »

Offline paulgee

• Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 01:25:12 AM »
Sorry to hear of the losses and damage your family suffered in the last typhoon. Whilst it is a common danger of living there it does not make it any easier to bear I am sure. Hopefully when you visit you can get a sense of perspective as to what needs to be done to help.

Best wishes to your father in law, when one is unwell things like this can be harder to take, I am sure that when you are both out there you will be able to help in his recovery, just being with them all will help.

Other than that I hope you both enjoy your time out there. We are in the same situation of just visiting at the moment, and look forward immensely to spending time out there. Do you have a timescale for moving out there permanently?

Let's hope the new typhoon is not too harsh on Luzon, though by saying that of course it means elsewhere will suffer, unless it weakens in the meantime.

Paul
Based in the UK, and part time in our San Fernando, Pampanga house

Offline John Edwards

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 01:34:19 AM »
I hated the hear of your loses Jack. And I hate even more to hear about this new storm. I hope it don't hurt anyone and I really do hope it get on through and don't tarry. I am due to touch down at the Cebu airport about 6:50pm on Monday. I certainly don't wish to spend extra days sitting at the Hong Kong airport.

Lots of luck to everyone, including me.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2013, 03:44:02 AM »
Thank you Stephen, Paul and John.

My big concern is not for the house, trees or even the crops, but more for my father in law.  He's a great guy, quiet, but always positive and dearly loved visiting his "little house" on the farm.  We had planned on spending some time there together, just the two of us guys, sitting around the fire cooking fresh Tilapia from his fish ponds, and perhaps a frog or two.  He sounded very depressed last night when I spoke with him on the phone.  It was obvious he was deeply concerned about the damage suffered.

Now I'm not certain of what we'll be able to do or where we'll even be able to stay.  There is a beach resort just a few yards from the main house in Buguey, but no word on damage there yet.  At least we have a few weeks before we leave Kentucky for our visit and will be in country for about 45 days, so they'll have time to clean up a bit before we travel north from Manila to visit Buguey. 

As for our permanent move to the Philippines, it will have to be at least 2-3 more years.  We have a niece attending University with 2 1/2 - 3 years left before she gets her degree and we (Gloria) promised that she (we) would foot the tuition fees for her.  That will put me at age 65.  Damn!  How did I get so old so quick?   :-[

Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline shortman

• Sr Member
  • This account is now being used by his widow
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2013, 05:57:26 AM »
Jack, i hope the damage isn't to severe and put a damper on the visit; However you are a kentucky bred fellow almost like me, a good looking hoosier (of course my team wears red and white) about the age factor do as i do, just turn it around, i am 72 so i turn and i am 27....you will be 65, just turn it and you will be 56, a lot older than me  :P... I have my eyes on that typhoon all the way...still kinda shaking after the earthquake that hit here.. me and lar was in the car heading to mc do when it hit, all i can say is it's good to have toilet tissue on you at all times.....lol.
Effective November 2014 this account is now being used by Lar, Shortman's widow.

Offline coleman2347

• ole jarhead, Tacloban City, Leyte
  • Sr Member
  • Retired Marine, Retired DOD
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2013, 07:14:25 AM »
Jack,
Bro, extremely sorry to hear about the farm and your family.  I look forward to your visit here, hopefully we can get together at some point in time...
This storm...Haiyan, just checked it a few minutes ago, the computer models put it (at the moment) passing south of Samar coming in about Palo..However this puts where I live Tacloban, and Southern Samar right in the North East Quadrant which as you know is the worst place to be...The earlier tracks put it going over southern Samar which would have the winds pushing out the water from the sound now Im afraid the water will be packing the sound...Hopefully it changes.
I am amazed at the lack of coverage on the tv, in the states there would be 24/7 warnings, here they are just saying its a bad storm?
They are saying its a signal 4 which I looked up and that is up to 185kph...as of this moment the storm is 200+kph..the storm surge will affect us the most as Tacloban and surrounding area's are fairly low lying...I am fortunate as where I live is fairly high most of the family will hang out with us for the duration...
The below link is to wunderground which has the most accurate maps and gives the most information...you are actually probably getting more information in the states than we are getting here...

http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/western-pacific/2013/Tropical-Storm-Haiyan?map=5day

The only thing worse than wanting to do it is not doing it

Offline meylou

• Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2013, 11:51:42 AM »
Kuya Jack,

So sorry to hear about your property loss. Fortunately, no lives were lost. Gloria's father will get better and you and Gloria being there will brighten his spirits. I have only good wishes for you and your family.

meylou
What we think we become... Buddha
:)

Offline meylou

• Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2013, 11:58:35 AM »
Coleman,

It is already predicted here in Hawaii that it is going to be a Category 5 super typhoon that's going to hit the island where you are. The eastern islands will be wiped out if this storm does not veer and change direction.  I am praying that this typhoon will start to weaken before it hits the outer islands.

Any other expats who will be affected by this typhoon, please be prepared, stock up on bottled water, canned goods, candles (don't forget the matches), blankets, etc.

This is what we do here in Hawaii. We've experienced this type of super typhoon (typhoon Iniki). So please, stay safe and be prepared.  My prayers are for all the people of the Philippines. 

God bless.
What we think we become... Buddha
:)

Offline coleman2347

• ole jarhead, Tacloban City, Leyte
  • Sr Member
  • Retired Marine, Retired DOD
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2013, 04:02:11 PM »
Thanks Meylou, we are doing everything possible, got the water, can goods, lanterns, candles etc...Im sure they will cut power sometime Thursday night...and yes, if it hits here like they predict, thousands will be wiped out...to that effect we are getting my land cruiser which is very high off the ground, ready to do some emergency work after the storm passes....in a heavy rain it floods here, how much more this?  The trouble is in most peoples recollection there has never been a storm this size and most have no idea what its like.  As I lived in Beaufort NC for many years I dealt with many fairly strong storms so at least I am use to them....Hopefully the administration here will start evacuating people soon.
I guess we will see what happens....its the apathy that drives me crazy
The only thing worse than wanting to do it is not doing it

Offline wildbill

• Sr Member
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2013, 07:36:31 PM »
my condolences to you Jack, and your wife Glo--http://www.typhoon2000.ph/

Offline wildbill

• Sr Member
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2013, 07:52:45 PM »
where are you Lee. I thought you wer here to. yes it looks bad I hope my steal Tubing roof holds up. some are going north but many are not they have no wheres to go...thanks for the add
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 11:12:22 PM by Gray Wolf »