Author Topic: Red Cross, Google launch person finder services  (Read 3753 times)

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
Red Cross, Google launch person finder services
« on: November 10, 2013, 02:39:09 PM »
http://technology.inquirer.net/31465/red-cross-google-launch-person-finder-services

MANILA, Philippines—Looking for your loved ones who are in areas devastated by Supertyphoon “Yolanda”?
The Philippine Red Cross has launched Social Services Restoring Family Links and Tracing Services.
“If you are looking for a family or friend, contact our Social Services Restoring Family Links and Tracing Services, please call 09175328500,” the PNRC said.
Google, meanwhile, is offering its Person Finder service.
It also has a mobile phone version.
“You can request status via SMS by sending an SMS to +16508003977 with the message Search person-name. For example, if you are searching for Joshua, send the message Search Joshua,” said Google.

"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline medic3500

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: Red Cross, Google launch person finder services
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 01:00:39 PM »
Has anyone heard anything from Coleman? I have searched the sites that I am aware of Red Cross, NDRRMC, Google and have come up empty. NDRRMC list by name and location of both wounded and fatalities but of course there is a huge numbers of unknown included.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 02:14:47 PM »
I've tried searching also and have come up empty.  My hope is that he made it out with wife and baby and is simply out of touch. 
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 11:08:07 PM »
They have a baby together but I think she has a couple or few youngsters besides who were with them.
Whatever floats your boat.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 10:28:10 AM »
We are on a street that runs slightly downhill and is fairly narrow, so Im hoping the winds will be diminished some by the 6 to 8 foot concrete walls that line it. Both houses next to me are two story and mine is only one story so maybe that will help. 
I've seen two predictions on storm surge...one at 5.8 meters and one at 2.8 meters...having had a lot of experience in North Carolina with hurricanes (got flooded about 5 times) its the storm surge I worry about most...
I have all the family here except my brother in law who went back to piyapi which is on the SanPedro bay to try to take care of his side of the family...they are about 100 meters from the water. 
I think the trouble here is there is no one that has ever experienced a storm of this size and magnitude and really cant imagine how strong it really is.  Ive been through a couple that approached it and one that exceeded it in the states and at least have some idea of whats up.  I flew over both Camille and Katrina after they had gone and the devastation looked like pictures you see of Germany after the allied bombing raids.  How much more here considering the construction of most buildings and houses? 
The ones I worry about are the ones that think praying will turn the storm...Im not against praying or religion (Ill be doing some myself im sure).  You would not believe the number of people that have told me, Im praying, it will be ok.
For those to the west of us, and thats most everybody except the folks in Samar..I'm betting the mountains in the middle of Leyte will slow the storm quite a lot..its a pretty good ridge but even if it slows it 25% thats still a pretty good blow..
I suppose they will cut the power later tonight so everybody stay safe..and good luck....Lee

This was Coleman's last post and some of what he says is what has me so concerned.  He had the entire family with him in he house.  He lived on a narrow street in a one-story house and was counting on the 2-story houses on each side plus some 6-8 foot concrete walls for protection. 

From the photos after the storm all I could see was streets clogged with debris and very few houses still standing.  From an earlier post he was thinking it would be a Cat4 storm, but as we all know it turned into a huge Cat5 nightmare with winds over 200mph (321kph)  I think they actually reached higher wind speed and the storm surge was worse than anyone predicted.

I'll keep praying and searching.  If anyone finds any info on Coleman, please report back here to us. 

Offline FMSINC

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 10:34:40 AM »
Jack I would think that coleman still does not have power or cell service we just got power last night in our area, most of the cell sites are still  down so even if he has power he may not be able to post on the web

Also you can not believe a lot of the facts being put out they are saying they will have 100% of the power in Capiz province restored by the 28th however most of the roads in the province still have poles laying in them the only electric lines that are up were installed by Merelco crews from manila they just put up the main feeder lines to most of the small towns but they left a week ago so unless you have your own transformer you are still sitting in the dark in most of the province

Tom/ Roxas City

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2013, 12:44:23 PM »
Jack I would think that coleman still does not have power or cell service we just got power last night in our area, most of the cell sites are still  down so even if he has power he may not be able to post on the web

Also you can not believe a lot of the facts being put out they are saying they will have 100% of the power in Capiz province restored by the 28th however most of the roads in the province still have poles laying in them the only electric lines that are up were installed by Merelco crews from manila they just put up the main feeder lines to most of the small towns but they left a week ago so unless you have your own transformer you are still sitting in the dark in most of the province

Tom/ Roxas City

Tom,

A lot of what is being reported disturbs me.  Just today I saw a report of the US sending an additional $25M in aid, while at the same time cutting benefits to injured US vets. 

It was noted by one of our fellow forum members that when he returned on a flight into the domestic terminal at NAIA he saw pallets of relief aid supplies stacked 8 high sitting on the tarmac, some broken into, some falling apart due to sitting in the sun, and with not a single security guard in sight. 

While people go hungry and homeless in Tacloban, MRE's sent from the US are being sold in Makati stores.  It's enough to make me sick.  The corruption and ignorance here are appalling.  The worst part of it is that the US is even worse!

Why haven't new homes been built for the survivors yet?  I bet Mar Roxas hasn't missed a single meal.  The guys here on this forum could do a better job of taking care of the helpless, homeless, hungry people affected by Yolanda.  GGRRRRRRRR!!!!   >:(

Okay, I'll step down off my soap box now.  I won't do me any good to rant anyhow...

Offline FMSINC

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2013, 02:10:12 PM »
Gray Wolf I agree on the relief effort it reminds me of the bus hostage crisis in manila totally mismanaged.

Our Brgy was  totally cut of from anywhere for 6 days due to high water across the roads when the water went down it still took 3 days to carve out a one lane road to Roxas City no phone, no power no cell towers were left standing and 90 percent of the people had no house or roof over their head

We hired around 200 people for a week  to clear debris and cut up downed trees we gave them everyday 300 piso, 2 cans sardines and 1 kilo of rice and package of spaghetti with sauce

We had some of our rice trucks deliver these goods to us from Iloilo which was not affected by the storm

As the roof was torn of of some of the mill we had several thousand bags of milled rice get wet a lot of this we gave to the brgy to be distributed to the community before it spoiled this was the only food many had to eat

The first aid arrived in our area 18 days after the storm it was from one of the Sultans of Mindanao they came and distributed relief goods to the Brgy enough food for one family for a week.

10 days later the next aid arrived from the DPW some got 2 cans of sardines and one kilo of rice

The last aid was from NGCP again sardines and rice enough for about 100 people

During all of this the NFA warehouse in Roxas and Dumalog are full of rice while the people starved

That was all the relief effort our area has received so far tonight there is a meeting in town for the relief effort which has turned into a double edged sword

Word Vision has rented the NFA warehouses last week and is now giving away rice 40 kilos rice per family per week, plus other goodies this has killed the local market for rice and goods

So now to sell our rice we are shipping it to Bacolod, Iloilo and Cebu and Batangas, so far 35,000 bags

But no one is buying new harvest paddy as they are concerned there will be no local market for the rice and that the imported and relief rice will kill the market so the price for paddy is way down from last year

So today rice is coming from Vietnam or being sold by the NFA to the relief organisations that are given it to the people our local rice is going to other islands guess this all makes sense some how

Anyway welcome to the reality of life in Philippines and by the way this is Mar Roxas home town

Enjoy your stay the stores should be full of canned ham, spam and MRE's and other assorted items compliments of USA , Canada and the UN

The Canadian army stationed here was told that Filipinos do not like to eat these items so the local government units removed them from the packages  and substituted sardines no one Knew where the items that were pulled ended up go figure

Better stop now before I get deported

Best Regards

Tom

« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 10:28:00 AM by Gray Wolf »

Offline paulgee

• Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2013, 05:43:26 PM »
One of the paradoxes of the Philippines is that the 'paradise' many expats think it is has an ugly side which has manifested itself in the indifference, corruption and sheer inertia by those in power following the typhoon.

Like many I have contributed to charities helping with aid, but I try not to think to much of the 'big picture' regarding it's distribution, it would not do my blood pressure much good.

Most expats have the right idea when it comes to helping the Philippines generally, and that is to channel money and help through their wifes family when they know it will be used to best advantage (super typhoons excepted of course) . And it is best to concentrate on that, unless you know with certainty that your money will not be wasted assisting elsewhere. It is one of our greatest pleasures to send money monthly to Shirleys family back home and know that they are spared the day to day worries other families have, and to know our nieces and nephews are getting a good education which will stand them in good stead in years to come.

I hope Coleman and his family have survived and will soon be able to make contact with the forum. Hopefully he lived in an area that voted for President Aquinos party, as they are reputed to be the recipient of most of the governments aid!

Paul
Based in the UK, and part time in our San Fernando, Pampanga house

Offline wildbill

• Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2013, 08:03:00 PM »
GW.I got shocked to see the MRE online.In sulit.com..
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 10:29:27 AM by Gray Wolf »

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2013, 10:30:55 AM »
GW.I got shocked to see the MRE online.In sulit.com..

I would say they should be arrested, but then the MRE's would simply end up in the hands of another corrupt official.  And so it goes...

Offline medic3500

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2014, 11:54:06 AM »
Hopefully some success has been made in tracking down our leeward brother Lee Coleman. An admin on another site has provided info that he has been in contact with him recently and that he and his bride did come through the storm, unfortunately other members of her family did not. They are very busy trying to regroup and put their lives back together. I was provided a personal e-mail in which to make contact which I have and am waiting on a reply.

Dan

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2014, 10:12:56 PM »
Thanks Dan, if you reach Coleman, let him know we are all thinking of him.

Offline medic3500

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2014, 04:06:02 PM »
Received this from Lee Coleman and thought some of you might be happy to read it.

Dan, its been a mess to say the least..still no real computer connection, just got power last week,,,I came through ok but most of my extended family lost everything,,,during storm I had about 15 here which probably saved their lives,  The day after the storm we went to their house and absolutely nothing left but sand where the houses use to be,
Between helping them rebuild and fixing what we lost here I havent had much time,  I will do something in the formum when I get computer connection if my computer still works...
Health wise most here have had their share of weird malidys , I suppose the clean up. the still unfound bodies are adding to normal sickness,  They are still finding bodies most days, still lots of trash not picked  up,,guessing that will take a year or more.
Please tell the group that Im good, doing better than most here.. I appreciate the concern and will tell everybody in person when I get a connection. hopefully by next month.
Sincerely
Lee

This just made my day, although I have never met Coleman, he was internet family and I was genuinely concerned for his safety and welfare, hince the reason I pushed forward in finding out what I could without giving up.

Dan

Offline meylou

• Sr Member
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2014, 05:06:21 PM »
Thank you, Dan, for posting Lee's email to you.  It is good to know that Lee Coleman and his family survived the storm and are doing okay. It's rough for them now and it will be so for a long time.

Thank you for your effort in locating and contacting him.  Thank you also to those who've tried to locate and find out about him. Somehow, even if we've not met most members of a forum, it seems like you know the person.  :)  :)  :)
What we think we become... Buddha
:)