Author Topic: Update on our visit  (Read 8979 times)

Offline brett4gam

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
  • A happy retired Aussie living a relaxing lifestyle
Re: Update on our visit
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2013, 07:51:27 AM »
Mate, sorry to hear about the father in law's poor health, hopefully he will recover thanks to yours and Glo's help.

One consolation is that in this time of his dire need for quality medical attention, Gloria is here to be by his side to comfort and encourage him.  As are you.  Much better than both of you being on the other side of the world being eaten away with worry about the quality of the care and his health.

The holiday could end up being more rewarding for you both all things considered.

All the best,
Brett.
I have never seen the world brighter and less prosperous.

Offline medic3500

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2013, 10:18:34 AM »
Sorry to hear about the father-in-law.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2013, 03:22:08 PM »
Sorry to hear about Gloria's Tatay, I hope the treatment you are funding will aid him and improve his quality of life.

However much one limits general help to the family out there it the requirement for medical aid which is impossible to ignore. Like you, we have family out there who do not ask much of us. We send money regularly to help the family, but they lead a simple life, with none of the excesses one reads about that some beneficiaries indulge in with the proceeds of remittances received.

I am sure you will nevertheless enjoy your time out there, and knowing you are helping the family there will balance the loss of additional holidaying. Our holiday there last year was similarly affected when we had to fund a thyroid operation for Shirley's brother. No choice - but no problem.

Enjoy your time there, I am sure you find it is the love and inclusiveness of one wife's family which helps make the Philippines a happy and special place to be, as it is for me.

I know you said you have put back your date for moving out there Jack, have you been able to firm up on that yet?

Paul

Gloria and Tatay went to the hospital early this morning for lab tests.  He did very well today and was back home by 9:30am.  Results next week, but I don't anticipate anything bad to report. 
I bought him a big catfish at the grocery the other day, his favorite fish.  It was a nice big one, about 1.25k.  Still kicking, so I know it was fresh!  He loved it   :)   Last night we had roast chicken.  I can't remember where it was from but I'll find out.  It was delicious and perfectly done!

We haven't nailed down an exact date yet, but we probably will have to wait 2-3 more years in order to get the niece through college and save up enough to make a down payment on our own place.  Until then we'll continue to visit when we can and stay with the family here in beautiful (cough, cough) Bagong Silang. 

How do the people breathe in Manila?  I cough up chunks of atmosphere every morning.  Yuck!
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2013, 03:26:48 PM »
Mate, sorry to hear about the father in law's poor health, hopefully he will recover thanks to yours and Glo's help.

One consolation is that in this time of his dire need for quality medical attention, Gloria is here to be by his side to comfort and encourage him.  As are you.  Much better than both of you being on the other side of the world being eaten away with worry about the quality of the care and his health.

The holiday could end up being more rewarding for you both all things considered.

All the best,
Brett.

Yes, Brett.  I'm glad Glo and I are here to help Tatay through all this.  It's not the same to be sitting thousands of miles away sending money like we did a couple of months ago when he had his serious health problem.  The look on Glo's face was enough to bring me to my knees.  I much prefer to be here by her side and of course with Tatay as well.  Seeing the old fellow smile and laugh when I make jokes is priceless to me.

We still plan to visit Buguey and see the rest of the Alonzo and Reminajes families.  Plus I'm still looking forward to putting a dent in the seafood industry of that small town.  :o    :D
Did I mention that I love crab and shrimp?   ;) :)   and cold beer?   8) 8)

Offline John Edwards

• Sr Member
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2013, 09:19:53 AM »
Jack, I have already said my regrets in a private email but I will add to the list here in wishing for a successful trip to the home town of your father-in-law.

I am very poor in remembering the names of meds. I have to look at my bottles about twice to even remember what I am taking. The only meds I remember are the pain meds. Nothing narcotic, just Ibuprofen for arthritis and Tramadol for the knees. Those I can remember because without them I am a wheelchair bound invalid. The other are for blood pressure and fluid.

I went to a local doctor here and got new prescriptions for all of them. I went to Mercury Drug store and suffered a sever case of sticker shock. I didn't get the Ibuprofen and it still cost over 6000p. Somehow I expected it to be cheaper here. The Tramadol alone was nearly 4000p. I am still adapting to the Philippines. So far my biggest hurdle is the food.

If I give up and go back it will be the food that sends me off. I was a picky eater in the US but here I am a total loss. I can eat a few things but some of this stuff is inedible. I came very close to throwing up a few days ago when my girlfriend put something before me that looked like green worms, or something that came from the gut of a fish.

So far I have been trying to learn Filipino foods but I am about to start doing a lot of the cooking and there will be more western style foods on the table. I am losing weight here but I'm not sure if the heat is cooking the lard out of me or I am slowly being starved to death. 
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 02:17:00 PM by Gray Wolf »

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2013, 02:35:53 PM »
Thanks John

Pinoy foods are not necessarily the problem.  It's the poor ingredients and poor cooking skills exhibited by many of the women.  Girls from poor families aren't used to cooking properly.  They have grown up cooking the cheapest items available and with little or no seasoning. 

I've been struggling with the same issues here this trip.  My wife is a great cook, at home, but she hasn't done any cooking here, until today when I put my foot down and said "I can't live on rice alone!" 
My family is typical Pinoy in that they think 98% of the meal has to be plain boiled rice, with maybe one piece of an indistinguishable veggie and a piece of overly cooked, tough fat.  I can't live on that stuff.  Last night Glo and I had a discussion about what foods would be bought at the palengke today and I gave her a shopping list with specific instructions on the quantities to be purchased.  Naturally she sent our helper to buy the veggies this morning.  After inspecting the purchase, I immediately grabbed my money and gave instructions, again, to buy exactly what I said, no less and sent Gloria to the palengke to finish our shopping.

Finally the shopping was complete and I had before me about 1.5k of fresh green beans (Baguio beans), kang kong ("jungle spinach") shrimp, chicken, malungay and the makings for a real dinner.  I assisted in peeling and crushing the garlic, slicing the onions and tomatoes and supervising the cooking, which was performed by my darling wife for the first time this trip.

So today for lunch I sat down to a large plate of fresh stir-fry green beans with sauteed garlic and onions, with tomatoes, fried chicken made with Crispy Fry seasoned flour, kang kong adobo style, malaungay with shrimp and only a small spoonful of rice.  My nephew turned up his nose at the green beans and kang kong until I told him "no ice cream or cheese sandwiches if you don't eat your veggies".  He struggled to down about 7-8 beans, which he had to mix with a bite of fried chicken and rice and then wash the mouthful down with a big gulp of water without chewing.    Kids...

I remember growing up and looking forward to a bushel of fresh green beans, tomatoes, onions and corn bread for our meals, on a good day.  Kids these days are spoiled.

John I suggest you give your wife, or whoever does the shopping, a specific list, with amounts and make sure they get what you want.  Otherwise you'll starve to death or worse, die of malnutrition.  It's surprising what a little proper seasoning and cooking style can do for a man's stomach.

Tomorrow I'm thinking of cooking some homestyle spaghetti with meatballs, both of which I intend to prepare myself so that there is no sugar added to the tomato sauce. 

A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do, my friend.   ;)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 02:50:13 PM by Gray Wolf »

Offline meylou

• Sr Member
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2013, 04:19:38 PM »
John,

You need to be like Jack!  You need to be proactive and start eating healthy food, food that you like especially. I know you're trying to please your girlfriend but if whatever she serves you makes your stomach turn, then it's not good. Your health is at stake and you need to be healthy and stay healthy.

My husband loves Filipino food except bagoong (the pink stuff), dinuguan and balut and ampalaya (bitter gourd).  He will, however, eat pinakbet, diningding (don't know if there's english name for this dish)  but he will set aside the bitter gourd.  We grow our own veggies, green beans, okra, eggplants, cilantro, jalapeno, etc.  We will boil or steam okra and dip it in shoyu with lemon. On Sundays, especially while watching NFL, we indulge and eat seafood.  Shrimp cooked in butter with lots of garlic, broiled fish, rice fried in bacon grease, with bacon bits :) . Decadent!  Okay, I'm hungry now.  Anyway, you get the gist!

Eat what you like, John. If you don't like to cook (like me) show her how to prepare and cook your food. She can always buy and cook food that she likes separately. This way, you're both happy with what you're eating.

Jack will make spaghetti with meatballs. Hopefully his meatballs will not be as big as softballs :) . Let's see how they like his spaghetti. Imagine! No added sugar.

Cheers.

What we think we become... Buddha
:)

Offline Palawan Aussie

• Sr Member
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2013, 08:48:57 PM »
I am still adapting to the Philippines. So far my biggest hurdle is the food.

If I give up and go back it will be the food that sends me off. I was a picky eater in the US but here I am a total loss. I can eat a few things but some of this stuff is inedible. I came very close to throwing up a few days ago when my girlfriend put something before me that looked like green worms, or something that came from the gut of a fish.

So far I have been trying to learn Filipino foods but I am about to start doing a lot of the cooking and there will be more western style foods on the table. I am losing weight here but I'm not sure if the heat is cooking the lard out of me or I am slowly being starved to death.

We hear you John.

First, can one say, if the food is the biggest problem, and not the language, your health, the heat, or just plain loneliness and the unfamiliar surroundings, then you're doing it very well indeed brother.

However, as you say, and many of us would agree with you, the different Phils foods can be a problem. But, I put it to you, when you go to a reasonable Phils restaurant, you could eat and enjoy almost anything on their menu. Yet, they also serve normal Phils food.

So, it's what's being cooked and served is the problem. And that can be overcome, no worries. It's not an insurmountable problem.

And it's not your lady's fault. She's serving you traditional regional foods, with love, because that's what she knows how to cook. And, how else could it be? I bet she'll be delighted when you gently suggest showing her what we westerners eat.

How about starting with the basics. For instance, start buying lots of bread. Sure, it's going to be sweet, but you'll never starve with bread in the house. And breakfast cereal. Also eggs, noodles, fruit, vegies and canned meats. They are all satisfying foods, and easy to find and prepare, until you get more things going.

Then suggest fried rice, and pancit (noodles) to your good lady. She will know how to cook these.

Then, to add to this, you can often buy reasonable beef, chicken and pork if you ask the shop guys for the most tender cuts, and then tip them reasonably well. Suggest to them that they remember you, and then, they will start to save their more tender meats for you when you come in, because you reward them with good tips (100 peso or $2).

With fried or grilled meat and fish, along with eggs, vegies, bread, rice and fruit you're laughing brother.

Hang in there John. It's a big thing moving to a foreign country and you sound like you're doing it well. Jack and Meylou gave good advice. And after all, what any man and his ladylove need to do is simply to learn about each other. And, what you both like. It takes time, but as you know it's great fun :D

« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 08:59:05 PM by PalawanAussie »

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2013, 09:10:17 PM »

I am very poor in remembering the names of meds. I have to look at my bottles about twice to even remember what I am taking. The only meds I remember are the pain meds. Nothing narcotic, just Ibuprofen for arthritis and Tramadol for the knees. Those I can remember because without them I am a wheelchair bound invalid. The other are for blood pressure and fluid.

I went to a local doctor here and got new prescriptions for all of them. I went to Mercury Drug store and suffered a sever case of sticker shock. I didn't get the Ibuprofen and it still cost over 6000p. Somehow I expected it to be cheaper here. The Tramadol alone was nearly 4000p. I am still adapting to the Philippines. So far my biggest hurdle is the food.

John, they had places called generic depot last I looked that sell generic meds, you might find less expensive ones there if you look up the name brands and write down any and all generic names and bring the list to a place like that or even to name brand pharmacies. I had a problem getting one of my meds a few years ago so I wrote down all generic names and my wife managed to get one drug that actually worked better for me. For your knee you might wish to try Naproxen which is Aleve or Mobic aka Moloxicam if you can get it and see how that works for you, both of those work great for my joint issues, I too would not be walking around without them.

As for foods in the Philippines, I also have a hard time finding good western foods but I have adapted to eating local foods, the problem is that my body gains weight fast on carbs, so I too have a hard time when living in the Philippines, so I just have to eat a lot more chicken.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline starrt

• Sr Member
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2013, 09:13:47 PM »
Thanks John

Tomorrow I'm thinking of cooking some homestyle spaghetti with meatballs, both of which I intend to prepare myself so that there is no sugar added to the tomato sauce. 

A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do, my friend.   ;)

This made me remember making spaghetti sauce in the Philippines. The canned tomatoes there are quite bitter for me, not like what we have here in North America. The sauce was good when I made it, just a little bitter, but the locals sure liked it.  I promised myself the next time that I make anything with canned tomatoes there that I will add in sugar.... lolol I guess to each their own  :)

I hope yours came out ok.

Thomas

Offline medic3500

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2013, 09:41:08 PM »
John, Lee is correct stay away from Mercury Drugs if you can as they are very expensive and carry little if any generic branded medicines. Tramadol and Ibuprofen can both be found at the Generics Drug stores as I have used both. My high blood pressure medicine is 130php at generics for 30 day supply and almost a 1000 at Mercury that's a big difference and it is the same thing just under a different name. I will only use Mercury because they are about the only pharmacy licensed to sell the heavy duty narcotics and only at certain locations and the prescription has to be from a Dr that is approved to prescribe it, yes it was a pain in the ass just to get a dozen pain killers while passing stones.

Totally agree with Jack, and the others about food. About the only people starving in this household is her kids and that is not because there isn't plenty of delicious nutritious food being served. They just won't even try new things and I am very old fashion, eat what's been made or at least try it or go hungry. I'm in heaven here with all the different types of veggies and fruits. My girlfriend has learned how to use the pressure cooker properly which can make a world of difference in beef that is like leather or melts in your mouth.

Jack, remind me before you go to your seafood haven I have a big container of Old Bay Seasoning you can take up with you, I brought two large containers and not using it fast enough.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2013, 11:07:06 PM »
Generic Depot link below
http://www.thegenericspharmacy.com/

http://tgp.com.ph/blog/medicine-fever-muscle-pain/     Tramadol cap 50 mg (RELIDOL)   per cap   P3.00
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline meylou

• Sr Member
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2013, 05:52:32 AM »
It's good to know that generic drugs are available there.  The link will come in handy for most members of the forum.
Thanks for the info.
What we think we become... Buddha
:)

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2013, 09:56:28 AM »
John, Lee is correct stay away from Mercury Drugs if you can as they are very expensive and carry little if any generic branded medicines.
Since I'm retired military and with TRICARE Overseas, Mercury Drug Store is on TRICARE's list of pharmacies which I purchase all of our medication and get reimbursed 70% minus my $150 deductible and 25% co-share of the total cost after filing our claim. I spend around PhP100,000 a year on our medications and we get reimbursed 70% of that amount from my TRICARE pharmacy claims!
TRICARE Overseas with our PhilHealth in the Philippines for retirees isn't a perfect medical health care coverage, but it's better than nothing at all!
BTW, PhilHealth premiums has now doubled for 2014!
http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/nation/10/06/13/philhealth-implement-new-premium-rate-2014
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 10:22:01 AM by Art Re(tired) Fil/Am »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2013, 03:01:33 PM »
Yesterday while I was visiting with our friend Medic3500, the family ate my mongo beans.   :(
The good news about this was that the cook ruined the beans with too much salt.  Glo told me she ate some late last night and almost gagged.  So much for trusting our "good" cook.   :o

So to make up for missing a dish I requested (and paid for) today Glo went to the palengke and purchased more green beans along with some really nice tender pork cuts and made a big pot of sinigang na baboy.  Yehaaay!  One of my favorites, prepared by my favorite personal chef!   :D

Of course the kids turned their nose up at it because it had green beans and kang kong in it.  Too bad, so sad!  That just meant there was more for me!!  Nanay was surprised when I asked for a second bowl! (she's always concerned that I don't eat enough)  I even had Glo add a small spoon of rice to the second bowl.  Today I was satisfied and walked away from the table with a full stomach.
Belllch!    ;) :D :) :)

By the way, while Dan and I were in the SM Hypermarket yesterday, he suggested some German style franks they carry.  This morning they cooked two of them for my breakfast along with some sliced fried potatoes.  I also picked up some McCormick prepared mustard and Tabasco Sauce.  Mustard on the franks and Tabasco on the fried potatoes.  MmmmmMM!  Yummy!

Dan, how was the Lea and Perrins hot sauce?    Did it measure up to expectations? 

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog