Author Topic: Merry Christmas Everyone  (Read 2315 times)

Offline paulgee

• Sr Member
Merry Christmas Everyone
« on: December 24, 2013, 05:59:02 PM »
I would just like to wish all forum members and their families a Merry Christmas, wherever you are spending it.

Here in the UK, being Christmas Eve, we have just done an early morning supermarket run and everything is now good to go. We have bought the most expensive turkey in the world, from a local turkey farmer - it had better taste good. We drove past his farm occasionally and until a few weeks ago watched the thousands of turkeys grow up into tasty Christmas fodder  :D

We are hosting my parents over Christmas/Boxing Day, then after a days recovery going to my sisters where she is having a 93rd birthday party for my father. My son and g/f will visit and stay overnight. My other son is working in South Korea so goodness knows how he will celebrate Christmas.

Much food will be consumed, and drink drunk - just the usual excesses.

Anyway, that is how it is here, when we are able to spend a Christmas in the Philippines with Shirleys family it will be a lot different I am sure, and I look forward to that.

How do you all spend the Christmas period? I am sure we all have our own families and routines for this time of year? And different countries will have hotter weather than the wet and cold UK.

Seasons greetings  :) :) :)

Paul

Based in the UK, and part time in our San Fernando, Pampanga house

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
Re: Merry Christmas Everyone
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 06:55:36 PM »
Thanks paulgee and I want to wish everyone and your families a Merry Christmas too.  This is the first one for me here.
Whatever floats your boat.

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 08:04:55 PM »
Yup! Merry Christmas to all of you on here! Xmas Eve for us is pretty quiet without any fanfare. Anyways, I'm usually asleep by midnight without the usual Noche Buena Filipinos do on Xmas Eve after Midnight Mass, but on Xmas day, we are usually invited to one of our friends/neighbor for lunch and then after lunch we usually go around the neighborhood handing out presents to those we missed earlier in the week. Me, my Xmas present came early, I bought myself a new Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Android cellphone in black finish last week exactly in the pics below link, but without the wrist watch and got a Smart postpaid plan along with it. It's an awesome phone with so many features and functions! It should be my last cellphone in a long while to come and it fits just right in my new leather belly bag I bought at SM mall Sta Rosa!   
New Year's Eve here is pretty exciting with all the fire works display at midnight!

https://www.google.com/search?q=Pictures+of+Samsung+Galaxy+note+3+in+black+finish&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=-XW5UpPtF4qMrgezo4GwCg&ved=0CCwQsAQ&biw=960&bih=544#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=5oiuemR7V9V6XM%3A%3BGzDcqJkszNGTZM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fimages.samsung.com%252Fis%252Fimage%252Fsamsung%252Fuk_EF-WN900BBEGWW_000050359_Open-Pen_black%253F%2524Download-Source%2524%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.samsung.com%252Fuk%252Fconsumer%252Fmobile-devices%252Fgalaxy-note%252Faccessories%252FEF-WN900BBEGWW%3B3000%3B2000
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 08:08:02 PM by Art Re(tired) Fil/Am »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2013, 08:37:58 PM »
Thanks Paulgee, Merry Christmas to all and may the new year be a great year for all and may it bring you all the good things in life that you wish for.

Art I am jealous :D enjoy your phone and new belly bag my friend.

I think our tickets to the Philippines for next year will have to be our Christmas gift as I wait for my huge 1.5% increase in my social security. :D
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2013, 09:46:56 PM »
Lee,
Merry Christmas to you and Nila and to all on here! Yeah, just love my new phone! It really isn't all that big and it surely isn't small either, but just right! Anything bigger won't fit in my belly bag!
My 1.5 % COLA for my SSA only amounted to a $4 dollar increase, a month! Whoopee!  ::) :-[
Luckily my other pension's 1.5% COLA made up for what SSA took out for Medicare 4 months ago when I turned 65! :)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 10:00:28 PM by Art Re(tired) Fil/Am »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline medic3500

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2013, 01:42:15 AM »
I live in a lower income neighborhood and they might not have a pot to pee in but they sure do get into the spirit of Christmas and New Year. It is almost 1:30 am Christmas morning the GF, children and I are just getting home from family get togethers. It is absolutely amazing to me and I love it, nobody has anything to give but friendship, love, happiness and nobody complains, bitches or whines and has a huge smile on their face no matter what they may receive, handkerchief, washcloth or underwear. No big fancy electronics, TVs or toys here. This is the gift of giving and not what I think I deserve. I love this place.

Offline paulgee

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2013, 04:02:49 AM »
I live in a lower income neighborhood and they might not have a pot to pee in but they sure do get into the spirit of Christmas and New Year. It is almost 1:30 am Christmas morning the GF, children and I are just getting home from family get togethers. It is absolutely amazing to me and I love it, nobody has anything to give but friendship, love, happiness and nobody complains, bitches or whines and has a huge smile on their face no matter what they may receive, handkerchief, washcloth or underwear. No big fancy electronics, TVs or toys here. This is the gift of giving and not what I think I deserve. I love this place.

Thank you, that post encapsulates all that is good about Filipinos, and the reason they and their country mean so much to us.

Paul
Based in the UK, and part time in our San Fernando, Pampanga house

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2013, 12:11:05 PM »
Merry Christmas to all my friends here on the forum!

Yesterday began a long day of celebration.  Carolers, fireworks, eating, drinking, karaoke, live bands, roosters crowing themselves silly, dogs barking incessantly, children laughing and running up and down the pathwalk and every manner of noise making you can imagine.  I wish I could have gotten a photo of one little boy who had created his own drum stand.  Wooden framed with "drums" consisting of several sizes of plastic bucket, bowl and barrel, and even a couple of symbals made from large tin can lids.  He even had a foot pedal for his "bass drum" which was made from a small water barrel.  It was amazing to hear him play it and the different drum sounds he created while several other children sang and danced in front of our house. 

I enjoyed the celebration and impromptu fireworks shows last night as long as I could hold my head up, but finally crashed around 11:30pm.  That didn't stop the celebrants, though, as they continued until well after 2:30am until my brother decided to shut down the sari sari, finally.  Then the roosters started growing again around 3:30am.  But I just rolled over and fell fast asleep again until 8 this morning.  Late for me.   :)

I must say at one point it sounded like a full artillery barrage around 10pm!  Ryan and I watched the fireworks from the rooftop and could see for several miles south and west of our location.  It was fascinating seeing the large aerial mortars going off, then waiting for several seconds for the "boom" to arrive. 
All in all a good time, and certainly the noisiest Christmas Eve ever!   :)

Blessings to all!  May you and yours enjoy the day together eating, drinking and enjoying life to it's fullest!
 :) :) :) :) :)

Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline medic3500

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2013, 02:49:40 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOEnCTQVfyc

The You Tube link above should take you to a short video of one of my girlfriends 3rd grade students putting on a caroling show for us. It was quite entertaining. We were not prepared and the video is not high quality. You might have to copy and paste the link in the URL bar.

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2013, 02:56:43 PM »
Thanks Paul.  A Merry Christmas to you, and everyone else on here.
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog