Author Topic: Heading back home to the US  (Read 4135 times)

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Heading back home to the US
« on: January 05, 2014, 10:46:31 AM »
Today will be my last day online before we head back home to the US.  Tomorrow will be spent packing and then heading into downtown Manila to catch our flight on Tuesday.

For the most part I had a great time this trip and once again learned some new things about my future home.  First thing I learned is that I need to buy my own dang vehicle so that I don't have to rely on someone with questionable driving habits.  ;)
The other minor difficulties were expected and were prepared for in advance.  I received only a few bug bites the first couple of days and no mosquito bites that I know of.  The ants were the worst critters I encountered.   ;D

I'll see all of you again soon, after we recover from our jet lag.   :)
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline shortman

• Sr Member
  • This account is now being used by his widow
Re: Heading back home to the US
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 11:12:40 AM »
Have a safe trip back to the three falls cities Jack, you and your asawa get plenty of rest on the flight to handle some of the jet lag; btw, getting a car is like going from being the bullet to being the target....lol.
Effective November 2014 this account is now being used by Lar, Shortman's widow.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 11:32:26 AM »
Have a great trip home.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 11:42:46 AM »
Thanks guys!

Shortman, at least I can guide the target away from the idiots!   :o  :D  :)

NOT looking forward to the cold weather back home.  Today at home it's 37F (2.7C) but dropping to -4F (-20C) by Monday!   BBBRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrr!!!!!   :o  :(

Offline medic3500

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 02:44:54 PM »
I did forget to ask did that OFF work?

Offline paulgee

• Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 05:17:59 PM »
Have a safe trip back to the three falls cities Jack, you and your asawa get plenty of rest on the flight to handle some of the jet lag; btw, getting a car is like going from being the bullet to being the target....lol.

I like the car analogy Shortman. One would assume that a jeepney is a 'bullet' from the way they drive. But I remember travelling through a town once and coming across the result of an accident between a jeepney and a container lorry. The jeepney had obviously pulled out i the path of the lorry which went straight into the drivers side of the jeepney. If the jeepney driver wasn't killed by the impact I think his legs would have the consistency of mashed potatoes judging from the space left in the drivers compartment!

Hope you have a good journey back Jack, you have some good memories of your trip. The last time we flew back it was to a frozen UK and the 40 minutes we spent in a draughty bus station at Heathrow was the coldest I have ever felt.

Paul
Based in the UK, and part time in our San Fernando, Pampanga house

Offline wildbill

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 08:34:51 PM »
Have a Good trip GW.we will meet you one day.take care..

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2014, 08:38:39 PM »
What kind of weather are you heading back to? Anyway, take care and have a safe trip back home!
You may want to retiree here sooner rather than later!  ;)
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline wildbill

• Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2014, 08:43:07 PM »
What kind of weather are you heading back to? Anyway, take care and have a safe trip back home!
You may want to retiree here sooner rather than later!  ;)
Thanks guys!

NOT looking forward to the cold weather back home.  Today at home it's 37F (2.7C) but dropping to -4F (-20C) by Monday!   BBBRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrr!!!!!     

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2014, 12:40:19 AM »
I did forget to ask did that OFF work?

Yes, it worked great!   :) 

For everyone else's info, Dan helped me find some OFF! insect repellant at Ace Hardware.  I was looking for the dry spray, but they were, naturally, "out of stock".   After doing another search, we found the shelves where all the insect repellent is stored.  Most of it was crap with citronella oils, etc.  But they did have a lotion in the OFF! brand.  It is called Off Overtime.  Even though it is a lotion, it goes on easily, dries rapidly and leaves no oily residue.  It also smells like a nice skin lotion and not like a chemical concoction.  It contains 25% DEET and kept everything away from me every time I used it.  I can highly recommend the Off Overtime for anyone who needs a good insect repellent.  I didn't get a single bite from anything when I used it, which was almost every night while I was in Manila and during our trip to Buguey, Dengue central.

Thanks for your assistance Dan!   :)

Oh yeah, Glo and I are back in frigid Kentucky and suffering from diarrhea and a massive case of jet lag.  Please excuse any weird comments or misspellings.  I don't think my brain will return for several more days.    :o   ;D

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2014, 01:26:28 AM »
Glad you got back to the good ole USA safe Jack and Glo.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2014, 02:05:41 AM »

Thanks Lee!  Yes, arrived safe, but not very sound.   :o  :(   I'm praying the cramps stop soon.  I hate this feeling...     :(

Offline paulgee

• Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2014, 03:24:21 AM »

Thanks Lee!  Yes, arrived safe, but not very sound.   :o  :(   I'm praying the cramps stop soon.  I hate this feeling...     :(

Yes Jack, welcome back to a place called .............. Reality !! A place none of us want to be  ;D ;D

Hope you soon feel better.

Paul
Based in the UK, and part time in our San Fernando, Pampanga house

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2014, 03:51:50 AM »
Thanks Paul!  Yes, a big dose of reality is enough to make anyone sick.    :D  :)

Offline Steve & Myrlita

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • Myrlita & I at our SIL 60th Bday.
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2014, 03:01:18 AM »
Glad you and Glo are home safely Jack. God Bless.....
Thank you...God Bless...
Bro Steve & Sis Myrlita
Bacolod City, PH
*** RIP MY FRIEND LEE ***
***       RIP DON H        ***