Author Topic: Travel agents using fake visa extension stamps - a warning!  (Read 2925 times)

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
Travel agents using fake visa extension stamps - a warning!
« on: March 15, 2014, 08:46:02 PM »
Arrested for fake visa extension stamps on passport!
I wrote this original post here: http://www.livinginthephilippines.com/forum/index.php?topic=48912.msg57582#msg57582
describing what happened to a person I know when fake visa stamps were discovered in his passport, but it wasn't just an isolated incident, because I found the exact same scenario that also happened to a Japanese tourist at the same place with the same travel agency and also the Japanese tourist was incarcerated in the same detention facility!
This incident what happened to the Japanese tourist was posted on May 2013 and my friend's incident happened in Aug 2013! Too bad he didn't get a heads up so he could have avoided what he went through of being incarcerated and deported! 

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?threadID=2317334
Travel agents using fake visa extension stamps - a warning!

Japanese national arrested for fake visa extension stamps on passport
MANILA, Philippines–The Bureau of Immigration arrested Monday a Japanese national after he was caught with fake visa extension on his passport.

Immigration Commissioner Ricardo David Jr. identified the Japanese national as Hidenobu Yuzawa, 38. Yuzawa went to the bureau’s main office in Intramuros, Manila to have his stay extended.

Yuzawa’s application for extension of stay was, however, rejected after personnel at the BI visa extension section discovered two fake visa extension stamps on his passport. He was then endorsed to the BI intelligence division, charged with immigration law violation at the legal division and committed to the BI detention center in Bicutan, Taguig.

Yuzawa, meanwhile, explained that a travel agent helped him extend his visa. David said foreigners can avoid the scheme by personally extending their visas at the BI or by engaging travel agencies accredited by the bureau. The list of the agencies can be viewed at www.immigration.gov.ph.

According to lawyer Ma. Antonette Mangrobang, BI acting intelligence chief, Yuzawa identified a tour operator at the Robinson’s Mall in Dasmariñas, Cavite as responsible for faking his visa extensions.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 04:53:57 AM by Art Re(tired) Fil/Am »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline suzukig1

• Sr Member
Re: Travel agents using fake visa extension stamps - a warning!
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 06:54:34 AM »
APPROVED BI ACCREDITED TRAVEL AGENCIES

For the Period June 30, 2013 - June 30, 2014

http://www.immigration.gov.ph/index.php/information/list-of-accredited-entities/accredited-travel-agencies

(Easy to find: On the Bureau of Immigration's web site use the drop down menu:
"Resources" --> "List of Accredited Entities" --> "Travel Agencies")

1) You should always get official Bureau of Immigration receipts from the travel agent.

2) You can get an official quote from Immigration through a travel agent before you spend your money (assuming that you have the time).  Travel agents usually use a third party that deals with Immigration almost everyday.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 06:58:17 AM by suzukig1 »

Offline Manly4eva

Re: Travel agents using fake visa extension stamps - a warning!
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 08:01:33 AM »

APPROVED BI ACCREDITED TRAVEL AGENCIES

I am in Romblon so it's better for me financially and time wise to LBC my passport to an agent.I used an accredited agent in Manila for 2 extensions last year and once this year before switching to a guy in Cebu.The reason i switched is because every time i did my extension the the agent in Manila  could never give me a price.I arrive on a 59 day visa first then get extension there after so it's very easy to determine the price but they could never give me a definitive answer.It was always send the passport then we will tell you the price after because we don't know what you will be charged.My last extension the 4 month to 6 month they told me it will be around 5000 or 6000.I called another on the list they said the same..We don't know for sure but expect 5000.Both agents knew i had an I-Card already......I had it done by an agent in Cebu instead,he told me price upfront 2830 peso plus the fee and LBC shipping.No guessing no maybe.2830 by the way is the price on the immigration website.He is English/Australian and very easy to deal with as is his wife..He is not accredited but he and his wife's company have been around for a while so i felt confident.I guess i will know when i go home April...

Ron
Stupid is as stupid does ...