Author Topic: Ongoing house costs compared to my country  (Read 12582 times)

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: Ongoing house costs compared to my country
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2014, 05:00:10 AM »
Besides the cost of some food items like Spam, corned beef, peanut butter, etc, I found that the cost of over the counter drug items like Ibuprofen, Robitussin et al to be outrageously high in Manila, if you can find them at all.  We regularly buy Waltussin, the Walgreens equivalent of Robitussin.  In fact, I bought a bottle of it yesterday due to having some chest congestion left over from Manila's air plus the cold weather we experienced when we returned home.  In Manila I couldn't find Robitussin in a bottle at all.  All we could find at either Mercury drugs or at Watkins was Dextromethorphan capsules.  While containing the same formula, the capsules don't work as fast as the liquid, nor can you take a smaller dose.  The capsules can't be broken in half like a tablet.  I paid only 5.59 for an 8 oz bottle of Waltussin, and that's the regular price.  When it's one sale we can usually get it at a "buy one get one" deal.

One of the things that blew my mind was that my father in law was "prescribed" Ibuprofen, something we buy over the counter and can get at a ridiculously low price.  We regularly buy 500 ct bottles of Ibuprofen and send them in balikbayan boxes.  Why the family couldn't understand that the ones we sent were the same as what was prescribed is beyond my comprehension.  And yes, I checked the prescription capsules versus the ones we shipped and the mg's were identical, 200 mg tablets.  Still, they buy Ibuprofen and have to make a special trip just to get it from Mercury drugs.  Go figure.
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2014, 05:29:43 AM »
Our December electric bill in Manila was P12.35 ($0.28) per KWH, compared to $0.12 per KWH on our current electric bill in Louisville making the Manila electric bill slightly more than twice the cost per KWH as our electric rate in Louisville

The December water bill was P30 ($0.67) per cubic meter, not including drinking water compared to $0.014 per gallon in Louisville, which is rated in the top 5% nationwide for it's water quality.  We never have to buy bottled water in Louisville.  When I convert cu m of water into US gallons, 1 cu m equals 264 gallons, making the water cost $0.0025 per gallon for the CR.  Drinking water is an additional $0.16 per gallon.

Comparing other costs:  1.2 pounds (1/2 kilo) of good bacon cost P320 or $7.19, compared to $4.99 per pound for thick sliced Hickory smoked bacon in Louisville. 
I paid P1434 ($32.25) for 1.5 kilo (3.3 pounds) of ham, for a cost of $9.77 per pound for decent ham.  In Louisville I paid $7.99 per pound for a Kentucky Legend double smoked ham, what I consider the best ham in the world.

Further comparisons of food costs:  a typical grocery bill ran P2,539.52 ($57) for 4 plastic bags of groceries ($14 per bag) including meats, veggies and fruits, with a comparable grocery bill in Louisville of $35.53 for 4 plastic bags of groceries, ($8.88 per bag) including meats, veggies and fruits.   

Fruits, veggies and meats at the local palengke were relatively cheaper, with corresponding cheaper, and sometimes questionable, quality to match.

I make my own ham and bacon here Jack..Sometimes I smoke it too.. The whole process is really simple and takes around 6 days..
Ive had quite a few guests from the US try it and a couple of them agreed its like the old school ham that they used to eat when kids.. All you need is salt,sugar and Prague powder.. Give it a go!

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2014, 05:41:29 AM »

I make my own ham and bacon here Jack..Sometimes I smoke it too.. The whole process is really simple and takes around 6 days..
Ive had quite a few guests from the US try it and a couple of them agreed its like the old school ham that they used to eat when kids.. All you need is salt,sugar and Prague powder.. Give it a go!

When (if) I decide to live there permanently, my long term plans have always  included building a simple smoke house for my ham, bacon, fish, longanisa, etc.  I can't stand the overly sweet meats most people there eat and since I'm diabetic, I prefer to eat meats that I enjoy and that aren't laden with sugar and/or syrup.  A small smoke house is relatively simple to build and operate, I just need the property to put it on and a neighborhood where it won't get raided at night.   ;)

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2014, 05:44:55 AM »
We buy very fresh Magnolia chicken breast here for around $2.99 a kilo.
Whole chicken for P110.00 per Kilo.. Might only be a 1.5 kilo bird but it tastes the same to me..
From a UK-R.P perspective,the list is accurate.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 08:02:46 AM by Gray Wolf »

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2014, 06:22:52 AM »

We buy very fresh Magnolia chicken breast here for around $2.99 a kilo.
Whole chicken for P110.00 per Kilo.. Might only be a 1.5 kilo bird but it tastes the same to me..
From a UK-R.P perspective,the list is accurate.

Are your prices from Cebu or another part of the Philippines and if so what part and at what store do you get those prices? Also are your prices for skinless boneless with all fat cut off them?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 06:40:03 AM by Lee »
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2014, 06:24:13 AM »
When I buy stuff, I just throw things in the basket without thinking about what it cost! If you ask me what something costs, I couldn't tell you from the top of my head, especially a 1 or a 1.5 kilo chicken or anything else for that matter, maybe except for my favorite U.S. beef jerky that cost P90 each that I buy by the box (a dozen) for P1,080 at our Tru Value hardware store! Expensive beef jerky huh! :o ??? ;) http://tinyurl.com/l6w4jek The "Hot Peppered" Beef Jerky is my only favorite! Don't even ask me what our weekly grocery budget is, it's outrageous!  ???
Fortunately my wife is a comparison shopper and that's why I let it be all up to her to do our weekly grocery shopping! I usually just drop her off at our South Supermarket just a few blocks away from our house, I return home to take a nap and I later pick her up when she calls me that she is done grocery shopping! So convenient for me and luckily she likes to shop like most women do, but she hates to cook over a hot stove on grocery day! So most of the time it's take out lunch and dinner just only on our weekly grocery day! That's just fine with me!  :)       
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 08:20:26 AM by Art Re(tired) Fil/Am »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2014, 11:15:16 AM »
Cebu?? God forbid!
We live on Bohol..
You do have a point there..That price is before the breast has been filleted which they do for us but the skin and bones are all used for stock so I still think chicken is about the best value meat in the R.P.
We buy from an English guy that owns the Magnolia Chicken franchise for Bohol.
Generally speaking our family grocery bill week in week out is only 1/2 of our grocery bill in the UK 7 years ago!! (conservative estimate)
I can buy Brazilian fillet beef here for 600.00 Peso per Kilo and US Rib eye for just over 800.00..
Trust me..If we want too..We eat good!
For fast food etc we usually go into Pizza hut and choose from the Panalo menu.. I have a bowl of soup,an ice tea and a ham bacon and mushroom personal pizza.. How much??  99.00 Peso`s!! 
Haha.. Cant go wrong!

Offline wildbill

• Sr Member
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2014, 07:20:36 PM »

When (if) I decide to live there permanently, my long term plans have always  included building a simple smoke house for my ham, bacon, fish, longanisa, etc.  I can't stand the overly sweet meats most people there eat and since I'm diabetic, I prefer to eat meats that I enjoy and that aren't laden with sugar and/or syrup.  A small smoke house is relatively simple to build and operate, I just need the property to put it on and a neighborhood where it won't get raided at night.   ;)
gw wat kinda wood you gonna smoke them ham with .here?

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2014, 09:47:20 PM »
We smoke our meats soaked in brine for 6 days with Gemelina.. Tastes pretty damned good!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 10:10:30 PM by Gray Wolf »

Offline paulgee

• Sr Member
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2014, 09:53:45 PM »
On my opening post on this thread I gave figures comparing annual costs of owning an apartment in the UK and owning a house in a sub division in the Philippines. These figures are a fairly accurate reflection from our experience and show the difference ie:

Annual costs - UK                  £2942 or US$ 4828
                     -  Philippines    £155        US$ 255

That gives me a saving of over $4500 each year. In addition I think that costs in general are highr in the UK than the USA where most members live, or lived. For me fuel costs will be about the same in both countries, and food costs perhaps slightly cheaper in the Philippines, depending on what types of food I choose.

When you factor in health costs etc the picture gets more murky, but my view from the UK is that it would be cheaper for us to live in the Philippines , given what I know about our own circumstances.

It is interesting that folks from the USA find overall costs similar for both countries. I have visited the USA several times and appreciate that food especially is much cheaper, so perhaps as Lee says whilst we suffer high costs of living in our own country we gain in the Philippines.

As usual, the moral of threads such as these, for newbies and wannabees to the Philippines, is to try it for a while before committing.
I mean, getting back to house costs, some members here run a/c 24/7 whilst others rely on fans. That's a big saving if you are lucky enough to live in a location where maybe it is a little cooler.

To quote Art - different strokes for different folks!

Paul

Paul

Based in the UK, and part time in our San Fernando, Pampanga house

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2014, 10:09:39 PM »

Probably mango or apple.  I could also get a balikbayan box full of hickory shipped from the US, if I wanted. 

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2014, 10:16:13 PM »
On my opening post on this thread I gave figures comparing annual costs of owning an apartment in the UK and owning a house in a sub division in the Philippines. These figures are a fairly accurate reflection from our experience and show the difference ie:

Annual costs - UK                  £2942 or US$ 4828
                     -  Philippines    £155        US$ 255

That gives me a saving of over $4500 each year. In addition I think that costs in general are highr in the UK than the USA where most members live, or lived. For me fuel costs will be about the same in both countries, and food costs perhaps slightly cheaper in the Philippines, depending on what types of food I choose.

When you factor in health costs etc the picture gets more murky, but my view from the UK is that it would be cheaper for us to live in the Philippines , given what I know about our own circumstances.

It is interesting that folks from the USA find overall costs similar for both countries. I have visited the USA several times and appreciate that food especially is much cheaper, so perhaps as Lee says whilst we suffer high costs of living in our own country we gain in the Philippines.

As usual, the moral of threads such as these, for newbies and wannabees to the Philippines, is to try it for a while before committing.
I mean, getting back to house costs, some members here run a/c 24/7 whilst others rely on fans. That's a big saving if you are lucky enough to live in a location where maybe it is a little cooler.

To quote Art - different strokes for different folks!

Paul

Paul

In regards different parts being cooler,the only two places that I know of to be noticeably cooler from the rest of the country are Tagaytay and Baguio..
For me the most important issues are house design..This will determine if you can live here with an A/C or a fan..IMO.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2014, 10:16:47 PM »
We smoke our meats soaked in brine for 6 days with Gemelina.. Tastes pretty damned good!

For those who wonder what Gmelina is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gmelina_arborea

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2014, 10:18:55 PM »

Probably mango or apple.  I could also get a balikbayan box full of hickory shipped from the US, if I wanted.

Stick a few Kilos`s of Hickory in for me Jack!!
I`ll make it worth your while!!

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2014, 10:23:52 PM »

Stick a few Kilos`s of Hickory in for me Jack!!
I`ll make it worth your while!!

Fred, if I go that route, I promise I'll include some good Kentucky Hickory for you, bro!   ;)  :)