Author Topic: Choosing Property Location  (Read 2829 times)

Offline jsaksiri

Choosing Property Location
« on: January 29, 2014, 03:34:04 PM »
If you are a first time home buyer you have many questions. One of the most common questions is, "what are the three most important things to look for when buying a property?" The most common answer is, "Location, location, and location." 

The location where I like is Makati .

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
Re: Choosing Property Location
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 03:42:53 PM »
jsaksiri,
Welcome! Since this is your first post, would you kindly introduce yourself to all of us members on here from: http://www.livinginthephilippines.com/forum/index.php?board=35.0
and then afterwards, explain your OP as to why you like living in Makati? For some on here would rather live elsewhere for their own personal preference! Myself personally, it's in the suburbs where we have lived here in a gated subdivision for 16 years now, because the area is well developed, nice, clean, quiet and safe!
Yes, it's all about location, location, location and by golly we found our niche in this little world of ours!   
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 03:50:29 PM by Art Re(tired) Fil/Am »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline jsaksiri

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 03:49:10 PM »
Sure,

Hi guys, I'm a Thai and working in Makati manila for 6 years. Among all places I have been visited in Philippine such as cebu, baguio, bohol, boracay, tagatay, palawan, batanggas, I fall in love Makati.

I'm a city girl, like something convenience so Makati is the best choice for me.  ;)

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 03:55:14 PM »
jsaksiri,

Thanks and welcome again! Hope you continue to post on here, because it's nice to get a POV from a female from Thailand and possibly give us helpful information about your home country!

Art
From Sta Rosa, Laguna 
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline wildbill

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 07:02:37 PM »
yes.welcome to the Group.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 01:18:35 AM »
Welcome to the group, jsaksiri! 

So, why did you choose to make your first post a new topic on choosing property location?  Are you in the real estate or property development business?
Louisville, KY USA

Offline Andres Lopez

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 12:09:58 PM »
If you are a first time home buyer you have many questions. One of the most common questions is, "what are the three most important things to look for when buying a property?" The most common answer is, "Location, location, and location." 

The location where I like is Makati .

Picked this up from a website im reading :
Factors to consider when choosing or buying a Home

Visit at various times of day

This would be very helpful because you can check the surrounding of the property in different hours of the day, examples are traffic noises during rush hour or noise of people on the streets, also consider the location of the property if it is near public amenities like playgrounds or clubhouses, that would probably generate a lot of noise during the afternoon or weekend mornings.

Ask the sellers

What problems are they aware of that the house had in the past, even if they’ve been fixed. Be it physical or legal to be assured that there wouldn’t be any additional problems after the purchase the property. House repairs are a very common issue, from flaky paintwork to leaky sinks, put aside some cash for unexpected property maintenance.

Get a home inspection

Virtually all houses have defects. Some will be obvious and most can be easily fixed with renovation. But knowing what needs fixing can help you negotiate a lower price – or at least prepare you for costs you’re soon to incur. Strongly consider getting inspections not just for purposes of damages, but also with pest.

Consider the view

It would be useful if you have an open space near your property or if not, a comfortable proximity from your neighbors. You wouldn’t want to see another window just 10 meters away from yours and destroy your privacy.

Ask for utility bills

You may adore the stylish architectural style and the big windows or closed walls of your soon to be modern home –but bear in mind those almost weekly typhoons during the typhoon season, or the scorching sun during the summer, those minor leak repairs and cooling system payments are beyond affordable.

Pay close attention to taxes

Don’t just ask what the seller’s most recent tax bill was; ask what several recent tax bills have been. In some areas, houses are re-appraised – and taxed at higher rates – frequently.

Reconsider the small details

Are you sure you really need a two car garage? or a space big enough for 10 people if there are only two of you that is going to live there? Or do you really need a pool and can you afford the upkeep? It is always important to live within your lifestyle and means, if there is too much for you to take care of, it might as well re-assess your options.

Explore the surrounding area

Except if you are already familiar with the area you are moving to, take time to walk around the area surrounding your investment, there might be illegal settlers around that might lead to unwanted circumstances or if you are near small rivers or creeks that might result to flooding during the rainy season. Also if you are near an airport, a fire station, hospital or train track (especially near the Makati-Manila border) expect to hear planes, sirens and ambulances on a daily basis. Make sure that you’re not too close to an agricultural area as well, as it may generate odors and kick up dust and other airborne problems.

Type and location

Before buying a condo, make sure that you have a clear idea of the type that you are looking for, and assess whether the condos that you see meet your needs. For example, you might prefer to purchase a traditional condominium where you own everything from the walls in, and don't own the land that the condo sits on. Alternatively, you might want a site condominium where you also own the land. Another option is a condominium hotel, where you rent out your condo when you're not using it.

Also decide where you ideally would like the condo to be situated, such as your preference for a particular city or neighborhood. Within the development itself, the condo's location is also important. You might, for example, not want a condo facing a busy street. Perhaps you are looking for a condo that is near to the entrance of a building, or one that has a nice view.

Pricing

Pricing is the easiest way to ensure that you are on the right track. Take into consideration the area where you are buying the unit from, as well as the surrounding building with in that area, the usual price ranges of the property, besides the very recent buildings, are usually not far when it comes to prices. Check other options (as much as possible, more or less, as old or as new as what you are looking to buy) and compare the prices of these units.

Developer experience

The problem with heated markets is that it attracts amateurs that want to get in on the action. But, more often than not, these products lack quality and design. They may look good on paper, but the underlying issues will make you want to leave the unit faster than you moved in. Try to buy from a local developer that has a portfolio of successful products in the neighborhood. They might be a bit pricey than the others but the quality and (maybe in the future) the resale value would still be good. Try to visit their other projects and get a glimpse from there.

Amenities

The last thing you want to discover after buying a condo is that things don't work properly, particularly those amenities that dragged you to buy the unit in the first place. There are, of course, the basic checks, such as making sure that the gas, water and electricity all work. Then there are the more fundamental things like whether the building is properly maintained by the condo association.

If, for example, the swimming pool is one of the things that you like best about the condo, make sure that it is cleaned regularly and open at the hours that you want access.

copied from myfinancialcoach website

Offline iamjames

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2014, 01:13:59 PM »
Had a look at a house here in Gingoog yesterday. Lovely house, good price, built two years ago to western standards and style and price was good. I didn't even go in because it failed miserably on LOCATION - after I walked around the neighbourhood.

Offline paulgee

• Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2014, 05:15:47 PM »
Location, location, location may be the most often quoted suggestion when looking for a property to buy. But in the Philippines neighbour, neighbour, neighbour should go hand in hand with that.
Based in the UK, and part time in our San Fernando, Pampanga house

Offline Mentalist

• Kamote
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2017, 07:43:40 PM »
i agree, if i were you i would also choose to live in makati especially to an area that is nearby the city and accessible to malls, hospital, church and other business establishments.

Offline codefreeze

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2017, 05:44:39 PM »
Location, location, location may be the most often quoted suggestion when looking for a property to buy. But in the Philippines neighbour, neighbour, neighbour should go hand in hand with that.

LOL!! One of the funniest things I've read on here.

Ya, karaoke, scooters and trikes, rambunctious cockerels, husband wife slanging matches, not to mention the cries of rag and bone men and fish sellers...

One advantage of renting - you can always easily move!!! ;)

• Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2017, 09:08:10 PM »
We bought our small lot of 187 sq mtrs to build our little home on in a nice, clean, quiet and safe gated subdivision.  It's just my wife and I living in our home.
19 years later, we're still here and enjoying our retirement lifestyle.
Our area has developed quite nicely Into a modern upscaled suburd in the province of Sta. Rosa, laguna with everything we need just within a 1/4 mile radius for our convienance.
"Que Sera Sera"!

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog