Author Topic: Moving to Puerto Princesa!!!  (Read 4995 times)

Offline Big daddy Ray

• Our Palawan Experience
  • Sr Member
    • Our Palawan Experience
Moving to Puerto Princesa!!!
« on: February 27, 2014, 01:08:15 AM »
Hi..
   My Asawa and I have decided to move to Palawan the end of 2015, since PPS is her hometown. :D We are planning to visit and look for a prospective area of "city proper", just kinda of "get MY feet wet" I have been there a couple of times but never have connected with anyone here in the forum. I would be interested in meeting with anyone that lives in Puerto Princesa area that could maybe give a little insight on whats happening in the area. I am not a party person, but have a coffee/beer every now and then. We will be in PPS March 23-April 2 2014. I would be glad to have a chat in person if that is possible. Feel free to PM me.

Thanks!!

Ray
Meeting the right person as your partner in life that laughs at your farts.... is a blessing!

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
Re: Moving to Puerto Princesa!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 07:13:42 AM »
Hi..
   My Asawa and I have decided to move to Palawan the end of 2015, since PPS is her hometown. :D We are planning to visit and look for a prospective area of "city proper", just kinda of "get MY feet wet" I have been there a couple of times but never have connected with anyone here in the forum. I would be interested in meeting with anyone that lives in Puerto Princesa area that could maybe give a little insight on whats happening in the area. I am not a party person, but have a coffee/beer every now and then. We will be in PPS March 23-April 2 2014. I would be glad to have a chat in person if that is possible. Feel free to PM me.

Thanks!!

Ray

I seem to be the only one active on the forum in PPC. We would be happy to meet up with you and your wife when you get here, perhaps at Robinsons or even our 'stately home'  :D. Just send me a PM nearer the time.

Offline Big daddy Ray

• Our Palawan Experience
  • Sr Member
    • Our Palawan Experience
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 07:17:44 AM »
Will do Colin and thanks for the reply sir. Have a happy day!
Meeting the right person as your partner in life that laughs at your farts.... is a blessing!

Offline Vicks

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 11:26:25 PM »
Lots of construction going on here in PPC. Of course they do not do a "work-around" when laying drainage pipes. They just cut right through water lines which means extended periods on no water. The same holds true for electricity. Last week they installed a transformer and we had no power for 8 hours. WIFI signals are sporadic and very weak.

As incomes have increased more and more locals have purchased vehicles. Of course, they built their houses right next to the existing road and have no place to park their vehicle. Yep, you got it! They park in the street. That habit severely impacts travel and gridlock is common. What should take 5 minutes in tricycle, quite often takes 30 minutes. My neighbor has asked the mayor to consider changing the Building Permit guidelines requiring all new buildings to include an off street parking area in the building plan. Civilization ho! PPC is the Manila of Palawan. Many come here from the outlying areas looking for work. That has created squatter areas and increased crime.

Personally, I think Narra is a much nicer area and reasonable transit distance should you need to visit PPC for a coffee fix.  ;)
Never mistake knowledge for wisdom. One helps you make a living; the other helps you make a life.
-Sandra Carey

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 09:32:17 AM »
Lots of construction going on here in PPC. Of course they do not do a "work-around" when laying drainage pipes. They just cut right through water lines which means extended periods on no water. The same holds true for electricity. Last week they installed a transformer and we had no power for 8 hours. WIFI signals are sporadic and very weak.

As incomes have increased more and more locals have purchased vehicles. Of course, they built their houses right next to the existing road and have no place to park their vehicle. Yep, you got it! They park in the street. That habit severely impacts travel and gridlock is common. What should take 5 minutes in tricycle, quite often takes 30 minutes. My neighbor has asked the mayor to consider changing the Building Permit guidelines requiring all new buildings to include an off street parking area in the building plan. Civilization ho! PPC is the Manila of Palawan. Many come here from the outlying areas looking for work. That has created squatter areas and increased crime.

Personally, I think Narra is a much nicer area and reasonable transit distance should you need to visit PPC for a coffee fix.  ;)

I have lived in PPC since 2006, most of that in rented property in the town centre and cannot agree with the comments above. In all that time we have never been without water; we do get brown outs but they are fairly rare and usually less than 2 hours. There is a traffic problem in the town centre but that is caused by the excessive number of tricycles not on street parking. There are so many tricycles that they are only allowed to work alternate days in the city centre. The previous Mayor derived a lot of his support from the tricycle drivers so was unwilling to do anything to restrict them.

Internet connection is very poor here, but you can't compare a very low population density area like Palawan with the very crowded parts of Luzon and Cebu. Internet provision is a commercial enterprise and will go where the potential customers are, unfortunately  :(

PPC is nothing like Manila, I find it a pleasant relief when returning here from a visit and I have not seen any squatter areas in all the time I have lived here. Maybe a few exist, but they are neither common or obvious.

The outlying towns like Narra are pleasant places to live, but it can be difficult to get transport into PPC. The shuttle buses are overcrowded and often driven by wanabee rally drivers often over poor road surfaces. You can find good places to live a lot closer with easy access to all the amenities, it can be a difficult journey just to get a coffee break.

We all have our opinions on the best place to live, so if the one you are in does not satisfy you then perhaps you should look elsewhere.

Offline tom.inbigdtexas

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 11:33:39 AM »
Great post Collin.... Informative rebuttal points expressed in a most diplomatic manner.   ;D ;D

I fully agree with your final sentiment with respect to many posts as to many places.
Dallas, Tx, USA
Mactan, Cebu, PH

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 12:16:06 PM »
Great post Collin.... Informative rebuttal points expressed in a most diplomatic manner.   ;D ;D

I fully agree with your final sentiment with respect to many posts as to many places.

Thanks Tom, great praise coming from a lawyer :D

Offline Big daddy Ray

• Our Palawan Experience
  • Sr Member
    • Our Palawan Experience
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 09:25:10 PM »
Colin,
I would like to thank you and your lovely wife Bing for meeting with us today. I think you are an awesome conservationalist and have some of the same interest as myself. My wife thought Bing was lovely! We enjoyed your company very much! We look forward to seeing you agin soon!
 :)

Warmest Regards and best wishes to you,

Ray and Vicky

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2014, 09:56:50 PM »
Ray,
Conservationalist or conversationalist? 

Colin, I never thought of you as a tree hugger   :D  :)  :)
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2014, 09:49:18 AM »
Colin,
I would like to thank you and your lovely wife Bing for meeting with us today. I think you are an awesome conservationalist and have some of the same interest as myself. My wife thought Bing was lovely! We enjoyed your company very much! We look forward to seeing you agin soon!
 :)

Warmest Regards and best wishes to you,

Ray and Vicky

Ray, we also enjoyed meeting you. We do have a lot in common, not only the interest in aircraft and models but the fact that Bing was almost the same age as Vicky when we married but over 20 years earlier. Bing also thought that Vicky was lovely  :) Hope you can make it to our house later in the week.

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2014, 09:53:06 AM »
Ray,
Conservationalist or conversationalist? 

Colin, I never thought of you as a tree hugger   :D  :)  :)

Jack, you are right I am not exactly a tree hugger, we are in the process of chopping down a lot of Inyang trees in the garden. Anyone know the correct name for these trees?

A funny language this English, reverse two letters makes a BIG difference to the meaning.

Offline Big daddy Ray

• Our Palawan Experience
  • Sr Member
    • Our Palawan Experience
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2014, 08:16:42 AM »
Well...yes....one letter moved in a word can make a big difference...but...jet lag, being a redneck from south Georgia and having at least a 3rd grade education....might have a little to do with it....haha!

Colin......Vicky said she would text Bing next week....we would love to see you again before we go back sir!!

Ray and Vicky

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2014, 09:32:24 PM »

...being a redneck from south Georgia and having at least a 3rd grade education....might have a little to do with it....haha!

Ray

Hahahaha!  My kinda guy!   :D      Just an old Kentucky hillbilly myself! 
Shake Colin's paw for me when you see him.

Colin, I'm sending you a handshake, mate!   :)
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline Vicks

• Sr Member
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2014, 07:32:00 PM »
A "love it or leave it" mindset is not how things improve.

I have met with city government counselors who also have considered the "on street" parking issue. They are open to considering a change in the building permits that would require all new construction to provide for "off street" parking to accommodate the increase in private vehicle ownership. No "off street" parking...no building permit.

Most side streets could handle two-way traffic but folks who have purchased vehicles simply park them in the street. Countless are the times that I have waited for room to navigate the street. Idling is a waste of fuel and markedly increases pollution. Moreover, it impedes business and inhibits growth. I salute those city engineers who also realize the waste and pollution created when traffic comes to a standstill.

PPC is doing improvements to the storm sewer system. That improvement also included new sidewalks. Unfortunately, trikes, jeepneys and other private vehicles straddled the sidewalk and the street when they chose to park. That practice forces those you walk to now walk in the street. That is extremely dangerous. And least we forget the BBQ, pineapple and junk dealers who think the sidewalk was created for them to place their wares.

The road leading to Narra has also undergone resurfacing and vans can make the trip now in 45 minutes.

I love Palawan, but there is always room for improvement. Thankfully there are city government officials that encourage input from folks who have suggestions that may be a help to all, both foreign and domestic.

I live close to Malvar Street which is a major street and town center. This past week we only had water from 12 noon until 12 midnight. Others may be fortunate to have had a continual supply of water, but many of us have been dealing with this issue for quite sometime.

Welcome BigDaddyRay and I hope you will at least visit some of the surrounding towns to get a well-balanced view of what Palawan has to offer.
Never mistake knowledge for wisdom. One helps you make a living; the other helps you make a life.
-Sandra Carey