Author Topic: Thieving Bast---s  (Read 4883 times)

Offline medic3500

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Thieving Bast---s
« on: April 05, 2014, 04:06:15 PM »
I have not been able to access the internet much lately. Some thieving bas----s cut and stole about 75 feet of the main PLDT cable coming off one of the junctions the evening of the 29th. Lucky me is the only person on the particular section that was stolen. Not many people in this neighborhood have PLDT so it not a big deal to them. Now they say it will take at least another week or two to string the new cable. So in the interim I will be going to the internet cafe every couple of days to check in. I just can't stand the cafes here in my area they are very noisy with kids playing games.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
Re: Thieving Bast---s
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 04:26:21 PM »
Sorry to hear that Dan, you might wish to check to see if Smart has LTE service close to your house, I just dumped my PLDT because I was tired of their terrible service and I am taking a gamble trying out the Smart LTE Pocket Wifi unit and so far it seems to be working well and the worst speeds during the busiest hours of the day are far faster than the best speeds PLDT was giving me at any time,and on the slower traffic parts of the day  such as during the night when most people are sleeping, the speeds I am getting are 4 to 5 times faster.
http://www1.smart.com.ph/bro/lte/coverage
http://www1.smart.com.ph/Bro/lte/faqs

Smart LTE packages https://www1.smart.com.ph/Bro/lte/plans-and-packages/prepaid
LTE 50   P50   1 day   Text LTE 50 to 2200
LTE 299   P299   7 days   Text LTE 299 to 2200
LTE 995   P995   30 days   Text LTE 995 to 2200

Also LTE means no wires.

Oh and it allows up to 10 units to be connected to it, so my wife's and my phone are hooked up all the time we are home and she has her tablet on it whenever she decides to use that.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline gbrown6usa

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 02:38:32 PM »
Had the same issue with them, I finally after 3 weeks I had to go down sit in one of their chairs and refuse to leave until I was told what time that day it would be fixed.  After 45 mins when they realized I was serious they got someone right out to my house and it was fixed later that day.  I also made it clear that since 3 weeks had gone by if I had to come in again they would more than likely have to have me arrested because I would be screaming at the top of my lungs when and if I had to return again.

Offline medic3500

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 05:14:25 PM »
Update... My thoughts about PLDT haven't change since it only took them 7 days and me finally go into their office to get some assistance. They sent a tech yesterday afternoon only for him to tell me what I already knew, however this guy was awesome and said he would be back today (Sunday) to at least get me back online. I wasn't holding my breath but low and behold he showed up before noon and had me operational in about two hours. That in of itself deserved a nice tip for this man. The company didn't give a crap about customer service and had put my repair order on the back burner according to him because the outage was only affecting me and not several at one time. To say the least this man now knows that good service should be recognized as I probably gave him his daily wage in a tip.

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 05:20:29 PM »
Maybe daily wage?  Maybe I go find a job where I can make deliveries to your house.
Whatever floats your boat.

Offline paulgee

• Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2014, 07:38:23 PM »
Glad to hear you are back online. But ... whoever stole the cable now knows where to go to get another length of PLDT cable. Hopefully they won't try their luck a second time.
Based in the UK, and part time in our San Fernando, Pampanga house

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2014, 10:02:32 PM »
When I read this thread, I had a flashback! In the late 60s when I was stationed at Clark AB working on the flightline early in the morning, I saw 2 Filipinos across the active runway stealing a 60 ft power cable stretched out to it's full lenght that they just cut from an aircraft MD-3 support generator unit on wheels and got over the perimeter fence with it all! There's a lot of heavy gauge copper in those power cables! ??? :o
http://tinyurl.com/loh2c97
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 10:07:54 PM by Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline hitekcountry

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 05:44:06 AM »
Is PDLT cable fiber or copper? What are the thieves doing with the cable? Recycling or stealing internet service somehow?

Offline hitekcountry

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 06:45:28 AM »

If or when I build in the Philippines I would seriously look into using this product.  It has no recycling value.

http://www.utilityproducts.com/articles/print/volume-17/issue-4/features/copper-clad-aluminum-and-copper-clad-steel-offer-affordable--dep.html

Offline medic3500

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2014, 08:14:41 AM »
hikecountry, they steal it for the copper which brings a good price. Fiber is not installed in this area yet. The thing that is most upsetting is the guy across the street told the owner of the sari sari in front of our place he saw who did it as he was awake. However he doesn't want to get involved. I know it is the same in many places, people don't want to get involved and that is why there is a huge open shabu market in this neighborhood with young kids doing most of the deals.

Offline Vicks

• Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2014, 07:41:30 PM »
Lee....please give us an update on how that Smart WiFi unit works out for you.
Never mistake knowledge for wisdom. One helps you make a living; the other helps you make a life.
-Sandra Carey

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2014, 08:12:26 PM »
Lee....please give us an update on how that Smart WiFi unit works out for you.

It worked much better than our PLDT for the 37 days we used it, we are now back in the US so I hope it will work as well when we get back. I believe it was much faster during the trial period but even during the 30 days following, it still worked good enough to make me happy that I bought it. The download speeds were always well over 2.00 mbps but the best part is the upload speeds were always much higher than that and the unit never cut out during that time even once, whereas my PLDT used to cut out for a minute here and there and sometimes for a half hour or more at least a few times a week and sometimes with daily interruptions during the times we were home, I can only imagine how many more times when we were not home.

I believe you wrote you live on Palawan, I do not believe there are any 4g sites there according to the Smart chart, so it probably would not work as well there, at least until they put up some 4g sites.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline Vicks

• Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2014, 06:08:22 PM »
Tama! No 4G sites here in The Last Frontier.

We just got our first cinema in 2012 and our first mall.

Civilization Ho!

Enjoy Florida....Tampa is my birthplace.
Never mistake knowledge for wisdom. One helps you make a living; the other helps you make a life.
-Sandra Carey

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2014, 07:48:53 PM »

We just got our first cinema in 2012 and our first mall.

I remember seeing a cinema here in 1993 and NCCC has been around for about 20 years.

Offline Vicks

• Sr Member
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2014, 01:00:13 PM »
NCCC is NOT a mall. Nor is Unitop.

A shopping mall, shopping center/centre, shopping arcade, shopping precinct, or simply mall is one or more buildings forming a complex of shops representing various merchandisers, with interconnecting walkways enabling visitors to walk from unit to unit. Other establishments including movie theaters and restaurants are also often included.

NCCC and Unitop do not make the cut.

And yes there was a "movie theater" here years ago, but it did not show "First Run" foreign movies as we now have in the "Cinema" at Robinson Mall, which actually meets the criterion of a mall.
-Sandra Carey