Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: SRRV Complete  (Read 8931 times)

Offline jjcabgou

• Sr Member
SRRV Complete
« on: April 15, 2014, 03:14:06 PM »
I have finished my SRRV and will gladly answer any questions anybody may have!

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
Re: SRRV Complete
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 04:53:31 PM »
I have finished my SRRV and will gladly answer any questions anybody may have!
Wondered what happened to your processing of your SRRV for those who are Military Veterans and or Retired U.S. military!
I don't know anyone other than yourself who has gone through the SRRV process for Veterans and U.S. retired military!
It maybe of interest to all concerned, if you would tell the whole drawn out process in detail, since we might not think of all the questions to ask you what you went through.
Here's just a few of my own questions to start:

What were the requirements and or the process?

Who was your PRA representative at which office?

Bank deposit to which bank and what amount?

What are the medical exam requirements and where it has to be done?

How did you go about obtaining your U.S. Police/FBI and or NBI clearance?

Is there a probationary waiting period after approval of your application?

What are  the SRRV benefits?

How long did the process take?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 05:06:13 PM by Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline jjcabgou

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 11:36:20 AM »
WHEW
Let me cut and paste and do my best:

What were the requirements and or the process?

All the requirements are posted on the SRRV retirements website and they are pretty straight forward and accurate.    http://www.pra.gov.ph/main/srrv_program?page=1   the courtesy program is extended to retired military vets from countries that have defense type agreements with the Philippines

Who was your PRA representative at which office?

I had several people I worked with at the Makati office (citibank building 29th floor), they were all professional and extremely helpful. 

Bank deposit to which bank and what amount?

After your initial visit they will give you instructions on where to send the remittance.  The amount differs based on which SRRV you are applying.  Mine was 1500.  That took 4-5 days and seemed to be a reasonable amount of time when wiring money overseas

What are the medical exam requirements and where it has to be done?

I did all my medical exams in the USA.  However, they will point you in the right direction to get the exam accomplished in the Philippines.  I cant imagine it would take that long.  Biggest things are a chest xray, AIDS test and a urine test.  I also had to do a feces test as well, so be prepared for that, checking for parasites I was told. 

How did you go about obtaining your U.S. Police/FBI and or NBI clearance?

I did my police clearance in the USA.  If you have been here for more than 30 days since your last entry into the Philippines you will need an NBI clearance as well (i just happened to get there on day 29 so I did not need to do the NBI clearance).

Is there a probationary waiting period after approval of your application?

There is no probationary period, once all docs have been submitted and approved you should expect to have your ID within 10 - 15 working days.

What are  the SRRV benefits?

Benefits are you are a permanent resident, it never expires.  The only requirement is to update your ID card once a year.  Depending on the SRRV program you are part of, the fees vary.  The SRRV courtesy is 10 dollars a year.   I can come and go as I please etc.  They also give you 90 days to ship household goods here, but for me that seemed a waste as the shipping costs are pretty expensive.

How long did the process take?

Couple notes for retired US vets, you will need a copy of your DD214 and your retirement pay statement which you can get online.  You will have to have these notarized at the US Embassy.  I am not sure which other docs you will need to have notarized if you are doing all of this before you leave the US.    If you do most of it in the US before you leave, you will need to go to your nearest Philippines consulate and have them stamped and approved (that was really fast and painless).  I think about 5 or 6 weeks I was complete with everything.  Had I had my DD214 and retirement statement notarized prior to my first visit the process would have been even shorter. 

I am sure I did not answer everything, so please feel free to ask away
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 10:26:36 PM by Gray Wolf »

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 12:05:21 PM »
You did the whole process while in the U.S.! What about those already in the Philippines, what options do they have if they can not return to the U.S. anytime soon?
We have plans to vacation in Northern California the beginning of next year and I may just consider doing my Special SRRV processing there, especially my medical exams and police report, since I'm retired ex-military!
Thanks for the update!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline jjcabgou

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 12:20:35 PM »
The medical can be done here quite easily, I will inquire about the police background check. 

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 09:46:19 PM »
I have one question if you don't mind answering.  Did any of those guys in Makati happen to say why military retirees get such special treatment and breaks on the SRRV with the deposit and annual fees while retirees who are non-military retiree but veterans get the royal shaft?
Whatever floats your boat.

Offline jjcabgou

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 07:07:47 PM »
yes, they said those that didnt serve 20 or more years were not worthy to clean the toilets of the retired vets, and as far as they were concerned they are lucky to be allowed in this country at all.

Obviously kidding

No, I did not ask why am I lucky and how come you are being a dick to those that are not lucky.   For some reason those questions did not pop in my head. 

There are always rules and there are always cut-offs and there will always be 22 people on the field in an NFL game and there will always be people on the bench.
I would venture to guess their reasons were purely economic, they wanted to extend an olive branch (so to speak), to a small percentage without severely impacting the cash flow.  That mindset is pretty much prevalent worldwide so if you want to throw stones.... I guess be prepared for Tommy John surgery

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 07:49:45 PM »
I would say the non-military retiree vets are a very small percentage compared to the military retiree vets who retire to the Philippines.  So, in my view, it is a small percentage getting screwed on this which a screwing it has turned out to be.  Probably bought about by one of the special interest groups.  Very similar to the groups pushing for U.S. Medicare use being allowed outside of the country.  Although, from what I understand, there is a certain segment who feels that former Filipino citizens have more right to use it in the Philippines even if chumps like me are not.  Supposedly, that is because they are former Filipinos and I am not.  Huh?  They want to take U.S. Medicare and be allowed special consideration because it is their country and not mine but then, don't take in the consideration that they were able to maybe get it by going to my country where I was able to help pay for it for their use but not for my use.  Again, BS.

They might have fun with me when I go to Makiti in a couple of months and let them know what I think about their F'd up rules on exclusion of regular vets.  I am about ready to tell them that they can kiss my azz on the SRRV.  Hopefully, I don't get myself kicked out of the country since I am not sure which one I would want to go to then.  The U.S. government likes to do things that pits citizens against citizens and if the Philippines gets too much in to that nonsense, I will lose interest in living here too.

Yeah, I realize you are joking at the start there but there are people in your peer group who believe that crap.

Offline Alsgopherwerks

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2014, 12:41:11 PM »
It is my understanding that when the change to the SRRV was announced a year ago that it was for ANY US Veteran with a DD214, not just retirees; and that consideration would be given to vets from other countries, (i.e. OZ), who had served in the PHI, and also to others (civilian Tech. Reps. like myself) who had worked with the military in the PHI. What info do you have that this has changed?  Allen
It is impossible to make anything foolproof because God made some very clever fools.

Offline suzukig1

• Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2014, 02:32:30 PM »
It is my understanding that when the change to the SRRV was announced a year ago that it was for ANY US Veteran with a DD214, not just retirees;...

Yes, unless they changed again.  Changed for U.S. Vets sometime at the end of 2012 or in early 2013.

SRRV for U.S. Vets

(1) Must be U.S. Military Veteran with DD Form 214

(2) Must be at least 50 years old

(3) Requires a deposit of U.S. $1,500.00 in a PRA accredited bank through electronic transfer or cashiers’ check

(4) One time visa fee of U.S. $1,400.00 paid upon filing of visa application

(5) Annual fee $360.  If you served in the Phl for at least 2 years the annual fee is reduced to $10.

(6) Plus all of the other documentary requirements; medical clearance, police clearance, etc.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 02:37:45 PM by suzukig1 »

• Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2014, 02:43:20 PM »
Can anyone provide current up to date links to the specific questions made on here? Any comments made without any personal hands on experience or current up to date links are just hearsay!

Posted by: Alsgopherwerks
« on: Today at 12:41:11 PM »
It is my understanding that when the change to the SRRV was announced a year ago that it was for ANY US Veteran with a DD214, not just retirees; and that consideration would be given to vets from other countries, (i.e. OZ), who had served in the PHI, and also to others (civilian Tech. Reps. like myself) who had worked with the military in the PHI. What info do you have that this has changed?  Allen
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 02:54:59 PM by Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am »
"Que Sera Sera"!

• Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2014, 02:08:45 AM »
Here's one other PRA circular that was sent to me via email from a PRA Rep, that some may find helpful.
(see thumbnail pic below)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 02:11:13 AM by Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am »
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2014, 06:54:48 AM »
That circular kind of blows the "any veteran" theory out of the water.  If any retiree veteran is getting this deal and did not do 2 years in the Philippines, then someone along the line is kissing azz from what I am able to conclude.  I am still getting disgusted with the SRRV program.  Too much secrecy, too much hearsay, too much lack of documentation on what is going on, too much of a variance in different fees for different people, and failure to keep their website workable, along with too much BS goes on with the party, party crowd of big shot clients who they really want in the program rather than piss ants like me.  I am just flat out sick of thinking about it anymore and I have a pissing attitude about it for a while now because of the BS.

Any of you guys got in to this and do not fit the criteria, well, more power to you.  Kind of like the guys that do not qualify for the senior citizens card but somehow unknowingly got one. 

Thanks for the info there Art.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 11:46:58 PM by Gray Wolf »

• Sr Member
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2014, 10:14:53 AM »
Bud,
That circular as I read it is pretty sort of vague and doesn't mention anything about one being a non-retired vet or retired regular military. It mentions, "Foreign Nationals" who have or have not been stationed in the Philippines, which I also do not fully understand it's meaning. It seems to me if anyone who has a DD-214 for any period in their military stint or a civilian who worked for a government agency, but did not retire from the military or government agency whether or not stationed in the Philippines for at least 2 years and or less, can still avail this Special SRRV. That's why I said this circular is sort of vague, because I read it differently than you did! It seems like each to one's own interpretation, because IMHO it is vague and unclear! 
Maybe, it would just be best to have a face to face conversation with a PRA Rep to really get all the facts! It seems like these PRA Reps have a lot of circulars in their possession that's not even posted in their PRA websites for all to read and that's where all the confusion is festering and making it complicated to understand their Special SRRV program and their requirements!   
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 10:28:38 AM by Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am »
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline jjcabgou

• Sr Member
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2014, 08:26:37 PM »
Because its Holy Week, I am not able to get any responses.  I will try to get answers to your questions and post them next week.
Happy Easter all