Author Topic: Check in thread for just saying hi  (Read 84123 times)

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
Re: Check in thread for just saying hi
« Reply #135 on: June 08, 2015, 08:44:41 AM »
Welcome home Art, nice to know that you consider the Philippines 'home' after the years you have spent retired here. It must mean you are happy, and at our age happiness is something we all need.
Yes, after being retired here for 17 years now, I think you can say we are happy living here in the Philippines. Besides, my wife and I are both Filipino, which does make a big difference in the world.
At least we both had the taste of the hectic American lifestyle and we prefer the laid back retirement lifestyle here.
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #136 on: June 08, 2015, 10:27:50 AM »
Welcome home Art, nice to know that you consider the Philippines 'home' after the years you have spent retired here. It must mean you are happy, and at our age happiness is something we all need.
Yes, after being retired here for 17 years now, I think you can say we are happy living here in the Philippines. Besides, my wife and I are both Filipino, which does make a big difference in the world.
At least we both had the taste of the hectic American lifestyle and we prefer the laid back retirement lifestyle here.

What big difference are you talking about?  Here?  Easier for you than me?  Yeah, I will agree with that but it isn't the pits here for me like some other people think and view the Philippines.  It sure would open some doors for me though if I looked like you.  At least less dealing when buying some things.  Sure, I have been here a lot shorter time but I am totally happy with being here and have no desire to even take a two or three week vacation back there yet.
Whatever floats your boat.

Offline Kurt

« Reply #137 on: June 08, 2015, 02:44:02 PM »
Just saying "Hi." I don't post very much but I read everything. I've been married to my wife from the Smiling Islands for over 30years and "in and out " of Paradise  very often. All take care and have a grand time.   

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #138 on: June 08, 2015, 06:36:46 PM »
Just saying "Hi." I don't post very much but I read everything. I've been married to my wife from the Smiling Islands for over 30years and "in and out " of Paradise  very often. All take care and have a grand time.

Welcome to the group Kurt, hope to see you posting more since you have all that experience, it is a shame not to share some of it to make the forum and life for others more interesting.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

• Sr Member
« Reply #139 on: June 10, 2015, 09:04:44 PM »
After taking a few days rest from our vacation in N. Calif we finally went to the Makati PRA office today around 10:30am to submit my EXPANDED SRRV application. Traffic was a little hectic, but we made it there OK. No, I didn't do any driving. we hired a driver with an HI-ACE van.
The nice lady, Ms Marie at the PRA office front desk took only 30 minutes to review all of my documents I gave her. It'll take 15 -20 working days to process before we return there to pick up my stamped passport and new SRRV I.D. card. The lady said that all of my documents were complete and well organized, didn't need an NBI Clearance if within 30 days from our arrival date and none of my documents didn't need to be notarized, just authenticated at the S.F. Philippine Consulate with a gold seal and red ribbon attached. It was a painless ordeal, we were out of there and back on the road by 11am and the traffic home was light. We stopped at King Bee Chinese Restaurant for lunch and after we got home I took a quick nap.     
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 09:15:03 PM by Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am »
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline Steve & Myrlita

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • Myrlita & I at our SIL 60th Bday.
« Reply #140 on: June 11, 2015, 01:04:24 AM »
Congratulations Art. I'm glad it all went well for you. Good to see you guys back home safely.
Thank you...God Bless...
Bro Steve & Sis Myrlita
Bacolod City, PH
*** RIP MY FRIEND LEE ***
***       RIP DON H        ***

• Sr Member
« Reply #141 on: June 11, 2015, 09:46:12 PM »
Congratulations Art. I'm glad it all went well for you. Good to see you guys back home safely.
Don't congratulate me yet, because it's still in the works for at least 15-20 working days from today.
My fingers are crossed though, if that'll help any!  ::) ???
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline Hestecrefter

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #142 on: June 12, 2015, 01:15:48 AM »
Time for me to check in.  Awhile back I posted that I was going to spend April in the RP with my wife and son.  That turned out to be partly true.

My wife and I went  Our son stayed here.  My wife stayed in the Manila area for the next 2 months.  I went to Palawan and Cebu.  I had a wonderful trip.  It's decidedly more fun in the PI.

I noticed a few pages back on this thread a post by Travelguy, whom I note has not been active on the forum for about a year.  Shame that.  I wanted to ask him about this post:

In Canada if a person works and lives here for more than 20 years we can retire with full pension, in many places.

Although I have also spent some years living and working in the U.S. and Philippines, I have spent most of my life in Canada.  I am very curious about the 20-year "full pension" rule.  No wonder so many want to immigrate here.  But I wish someone would tell me where to sign up for my full pension.  I have more than 20 years of living and working in Canada.

Maybe Travelguy was speaking of Canadian politicians.  A few years in just about any political office will earn one a pension greater than many full-time employees or small business owners could ever to see as a yearly income while working. 

Offline mikbal

• Sr Member
« Reply #143 on: June 12, 2015, 01:17:01 PM »
      This might be what he was referring to:

http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/services/pensions/oas/pension/index.shtml

Mike

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #144 on: June 12, 2015, 10:47:13 PM »
Time for me to check in.  Awhile back I posted that I was going to spend April in the RP with my wife and son.  That turned out to be partly true.

My wife and I went  Our son stayed here.  My wife stayed in the Manila area for the next 2 months.  I went to Palawan and Cebu.  I had a wonderful trip.  It's decidedly more fun in the PI.

So please tell us more about your vacation, did you like any place better than the other?
What did you think of Cebu, I ask because that is where we call home when we are there?
What did you think of Palawan, I ask because we may like to visit there someday?
Any items that stood out in your mind about this trip over that you can share?
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline Hestecrefter

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #145 on: June 12, 2015, 11:20:37 PM »
Yes, I am familiar with that one Mike.

The link you provided describes the Canadian old age security pension.  The maximum benefit in 2015 is the princely sum of $563.74.  The info on the site says: "A partial OAS pension is calculated at the rate of 1/40th of the full OAS pension for each complete year of residence in Canada after age 18."  So, 20 years of residence will get you half of $563.74.  And you cannot collect until age 65, soon increasing to age 67.  Not exactly my idea of retiring on a "full pension".  I am also aware that there is a "supplement" for those with low income.  The supplement will not be paid to anyone living outside Canada.

Then there is the Canada Pension Plan (CPP) benefit for those who have paid in.  The maximum amount this year os $1,065 per month.  That is available at age 65 to anyone who has paid in the max amount for about 39 years after age 18.  Not many achieve that.  To be allowed to pay in the max, you have to earn at least the max pensionable amount, set at $54,600 in 2015.  I went online today and looked at my statement of contributions.  I have earned at least max and paid in max for about 30 years so far, entitling me to a pension of about $880 a month at age 65.  So, if I got that, plus $563 from the OAS, I'd have a total of CAD1,443 per month, or about P50,000. If pressed, I suppose I could live on that in the Phils, not in Canada. 

So, I am going to keep looking for that elusive "full pension" after 20 years.  Probably a thing of myth, but I have heard of people in the U.S. armed forces who sign up at age 18 and earn a "full pension" after 20 years and can actually draw said pension once the 20 years have been served.  I think if that were true, everyone would sign up for military service. 

To my way of thinking, a "full pension" is one that pays about 70% of pre-retirement earnings.  I use that rule of thumb because many public service pensions in Canada work that way.  Typically, the formula is to take an average of salary paid in the last 5 years of service, then take 2% of that, then multiply by years of service to arrive at the pension amount.  For example, if one earned an average of $100,000/yr. in the last 5 years, then it's $100,000 x 2% = $2,000.  After 35 years of service (that is the usual number of years required to earn the maximum pension), one receives  $2,000 x 35 = $70,000.  In my case, I put in 22 years.  I get only 44%, not even close to the coveted "full pension". 

Canadian government pensions are generally indexed to inflation in Canada, but that's cold comfort if being received in the Phils. where, according to a trading economics website, the inflation rate averaged 8.78 percent from 1958 until 2015.  So I would not count on my Canadian pensions to sustain me there for long.  I guess that's why I have no plan to retire.

Offline Hestecrefter

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #146 on: June 12, 2015, 11:46:11 PM »
Lee, you posted while I was writing, in part, in response to Mike.

I'll be happy to say a bit more about my trip shortly.  For the moment, I have to get on with a bit of work.  It's easy to get distracted by the site.  I have to show some discipline. 

Offline TonyandJelma

« Reply #147 on: June 13, 2015, 09:22:54 AM »
Just wanted to say hi to everyone again. I will be travelling to Manila/Palawan/Manila without my beautiful wife in August to look at a possible homesite for retirement. Anyone have any pointers or things to do in both locations while there? I will be in Manila Aug 5-7, Palawan (Roxas area) Aug 7-14, and back to Manila Aug 14-17. Booked a room at Tune Hotel in Asean City near the airport for the arrival and undecided about where to stay when I come back on the 14th. I have been to the RP twice so far but only to Butuan City area in Mindanao. Different in the province there than Manila from what I gather. Thanks in advance for any advice and pointers.

Offline wildbill

• Sr Member
« Reply #148 on: June 13, 2015, 08:40:03 PM »
Art Job well done but I think you done lots of paperwork to get this done well im now alone here on the BB stamp now. I must be in last place now.  Steve congrats on becoming Admin now and thank you for the info on maxie care plan.

Offline Steve & Myrlita

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • Myrlita & I at our SIL 60th Bday.
« Reply #149 on: June 13, 2015, 09:43:08 PM »
Art Job well done but I think you done lots of paperwork to get this done well im now alone here on the BB stamp now. I must be in last place now.  Steve congrats on becoming Admin now and thank you for the info on Maxi Care plan.
My pleasure sir.
Thank you...God Bless...
Bro Steve & Sis Myrlita
Bacolod City, PH
*** RIP MY FRIEND LEE ***
***       RIP DON H        ***

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog