Author Topic: Check in thread for just saying hi  (Read 81680 times)

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
Re: Check in thread for just saying hi
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2014, 04:55:18 PM »
Colin

I was able to see some of what you posted of your house build, and some I missed. It was very interesting and informative and helpful in my understanding the differences in building from the US and Philippines.

No doubt it represented quite a bit of effort to post all you did on the net and I for one would like to thank you for that.

OH....also want to say ... Very Nice House!

Thanks HT, hopefully as money becomes available it will continue to look nicer. An improvement I hope to make some day is to put a fountain in front maybe a solar powered one if I can find suitable pumps etc.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2014, 05:51:45 PM »
@Stephen, (Shewmake) looking good, looks like it is going to be a very nice home.

@Colin, many of us who have been around for a while had gotten the benefit of many of your former posts whether they got lost in the software change or not, we enjoyed and appreciated them and yes it is a shame that newer members cannot get to enjoy some of them but life and especially digital life is not always totally fair, so we all just have to roll with the punches and move on.

Over the years I made thousands of posts on some forums I used to be on and thought that I had made many forum friends who I left behind when I left those forums because it would have been wrong of me to tell them what forums I had moved on to, so to this day I miss many of them but again that is life and I hope that I have learned from my mistakes, so hopefully I will never have to move on again. So Colin I hope you will post more often as I had found many of your posts insightful and the knowledge you have of the Philippines and life would be of great help to others.

Colin if you have time then I sure would enjoy some updates on things you do and things you have plans to do and I bet others would to. The fountain idea sounds neat, please post photos once you have plans or decide to tackle the job.

@Traveling Bob, I hope you enjoy your trip and hope you come back and keep us informed about it and about your time in the Philippines.

@everyone else, this can be a heck of a great thread for getting to know each other better, and another idea I like is what I learned from some members here and followed by putting in a signature with somethings about ourselves so others can gain more from our posts by knowing each of our situations. This can be easily accomplished by going to profile then down to Forum Profile and then typing something into the signature box. See photo below.

Hope to see more of you posting here and everywhere on the forums so we can all learn from each other and become a closer knit community.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 05:58:57 PM by Lee »
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline medic3500

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2014, 07:27:18 PM »
Daughter is coming in for a visit next week, am hoping to take a quick trip down your way Colin, maybe we can get together for coffee or a cold one. I'll let you know how the schedule pans out.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 12:02:02 AM by Gray Wolf »

Offline starrt

• Sr Member
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2014, 08:40:29 PM »
Hi everyone,

My gf and I just decided last week that I will be going to be with her on June 7 for 3 weeks or so. I pay the little extra and fly PAL direct from Vancouver to Manila.
My plans are to start looking around QC and that area to find a place to set up my home business, with reliable, well, as reliable as possible, phone, internet, power and as it is said, in flood free areas.
We may be taking a weekend off and going to Palawan, or Bohol, or Cebu, or, or....the plans are in flux at the moment.
Our hope is that by either late this year or early next year I will have made all arrangements necessary to make my move there.

Thomas

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2014, 08:51:22 PM »
Have a enjoyable trip Thomas (starrt) and I hope all your plans work out well for you both. Possibly you might wish to expand on what your home business might be so that others can learn from it. Also my opinion if you want reliable utilities is to try to get close to a call center area, as an example only, I know IT Park in Cebu City seems to have the best services and the least outages from what friends who live there tell me and where I get my LTE wifi service from, since I am a stones throw away as the bird flies.

If you happen to end up in Cebu or plan to be, from Feb to May of any year then please pm me and maybe the four (my wife and I) or more of us can all meet up. I am hoping that Art and his wonderful wife Jho will make it down our way next year as well.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline xtravolts

• You only go through life once..make this one count
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2014, 06:40:21 AM »
Just Checking IN.....  Lee, it was nice meeting you at the Lawn bowling and it was getting to be fun.  When are you going to return to the Philippines?  I was looking forward to getting better with the bowling but now I came across a chance to get more involved in my Greatest Love,  flying radio controlled aircraft, and it will interfere with my bowling.  The RC (radio control) club I joined only flies on Saturday and Sunday and usually from 2 pm to sunset.  Thus the conflict in time.  I may just give up the Sunday flying to be with you guys at the Irish Pub to bowl, but not yet.  Still would like to hang out with you guys at Bo's coffee in Ayala so when do you guys go there?  I don't know if I am following correct protocol with this post being addressed to Lee but also to everyone else in the forum???  I'm still new to posts, reply's, etc.  Michael (xtravolts)
My wife and I are looking for other non-smoking couples to make friends with.  There is just so little to do in Cebu for entertainment.

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2014, 07:15:12 AM »
Just checking in.  All this talk about the IHOP but the chow down has apparently stalled with all the heat lately having an effect on transportation since someone can't get there himself as the little red puddle hopper doesn't go past the grocery store.  Others are quiet about it too so if it happens, guess it won't be for another few months.
Whatever floats your boat.

Offline wjenkins2634

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2014, 08:23:08 AM »
Jump in there, I am in to say hello to everyone. I have been in the Philippines for 11 months now and man its hot but loving it. Farming in Cagayan Valley, Andrayan  Norte, Solana. Just finished harvesting one rice field and gathered 95 cabons. Corn is planted and just hope the rain and God are good to us.

Everyone take care and have a beautiful day.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2014, 10:10:24 AM »
@ xtravolts (Michael) It was a pleasure meeting you and Rose and we look forward to seeing you both again when we get back late this year or early next year. We are usually in Cebu Feb to May but if a deal comes along towards the end of this year then we might jump on that.

Oh and as for format, I wanted this thread to be very informal with members just dropping in to say hi or fill us in on their lives, sort of like just chatting and getting to know each other, so your post was perfect and I hope you and others will keep the flow going.

Glad you found a club to fly with, hope you have lots of fun doing it. You got to do what makes you happy and the guys at the pub are just about always there on Sundays should you decide to visit them again.

@BudM, glad you checked in and it would be my hope that everyone drops into this thread once in a while to just to say hi and fill us in how their life is going and then of course it would be even better if they also post elsewhere on the forum asking and answering questions.

@wjenkins2634 good to hear from you and I am sure many of us would love to hear more about your farming  and your area of the Philippines. One thing I have found over the years, is that no matter how much any of us may know about our own part of the Philippines, there is always much to learn from others about other areas, so I hope you will post some more and fill us in.

Keep the post coming guys and gals, IMO it is great for us all to get to know each other better. (thumbsup all)

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2014, 10:29:03 AM »

So Colin I hope you will post more often as I had found many of your posts insightful and the knowledge you have of the Philippines and life would be of great help to others.

Colin if you have time then I sure would enjoy some updates on things you do and things you have plans to do and I bet others would to. The fountain idea sounds neat, please post photos once you have plans or decide to tackle the job.

Lee, thanks for the nice comments, it makes the effort involved worthwhile  :)

I will attempt to make some posts on some of the things I have done here and maybe some plans but that could result in a very lengthy post  :)

I no longer post photos on the forum because that was one on the things that suffered when I got kicked out. I do post some photos on Flickr and have a web site that Jack allows me to link to. It does contain all the details of the house build up to the time we moved in, but needs updating with some later stuff. I have also started a section on it on my latest computer design that needs a lot of photos added. Although not strictly connected to living in the Philippines, it was designed to overcome problems I have had here with overheating.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2014, 10:37:58 AM »
Colin, as long as Jack allows it, then please post the link so we all can enjoy the fruits of your labor and learn from them. Maybe start a new thread in the proper section and fill us in on what has been going on with your building and the longer the post, the better as far as I am concerned, then it just means more to read and try to absorb which is sure better than not knowing.

As for not posting photos here, let us all hope the forum never crashes again and if it should get back to the posting of the old days, then maybe it will even expand, well lets hope so, as this was always a great forum with lots of great people on it and I know that I sure do miss reading yours and many of the other members posts about their lives in the Philippines. I sure hope to be seeing more posts daily so I and others will then know how you all are getting on with your lives.

Offline paulgee

• Sr Member
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2014, 02:28:43 PM »
Well, it has been a fine and sunny weekend here in England. Not too warm but then this ain't the Philippines! From our 3rd floor apartment I can see our towns cricket ground and one of the first games of their season yesterday. On warm summer days last year a friend and I would walk over to their clubhouse and enjoy a few beers as we watched.

Shirley worked double shifts both days at the local hospital (enhanced weekend pay!) so I had some time to myself. Yes it is true, I just want her for her money as she just wants me for my body - isn't it usually the other way round guys?

I went out with a local cycling club yesterday morning, memorable for it's cake and coffee stops in the local Essex countryside. Waking up this morning my aching knees tell me I am not getting any younger, though some fellow riders are years older than me.

We are counting down now until October when we will return to the Philippines for a brief holiday. And also waiting for the bill for our baby nieces heart operation in Manila, which will dictate our spending money whilst there!
Based in the UK, and part time in our San Fernando, Pampanga house

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2014, 05:06:12 PM »
Daughter is coming in for a visit next week, am hoping to take a quick trip down your way Colin, maybe we can get together for coffee or a cold one. I'll let you know how the schedule pans out.

Dan, sorry it took a while to get back to you but I have not been able to get on the computer much in the last few days. I am getting over Flu but still have had to do a bit of chasing around plus having long siestas in the afternoons. We would be very pleased to meet up with you if you do decide to come our way. This also applies to anyone elso visiting Puerto Princesa.

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2014, 07:47:05 PM »
Colin, as long as Jack allows it, then please post the link so we all can enjoy the fruits of your labor and learn from them. Maybe start a new thread in the proper section and fill us in on what has been going on with your building and the longer the post, the better as far as I am concerned, then it just means more to read and try to absorb which is sure better than not knowing.

As for not posting photos here, let us all hope the forum never crashes again and if it should get back to the posting of the old days, then maybe it will even expand, well lets hope so, as this was always a great forum with lots of great people on it and I know that I sure do miss reading yours and many of the other members posts about their lives in the Philippines. I sure hope to be seeing more posts daily so I and others will then know how you all are getting on with your lives.

The reason Jack allows a link to my site is because it has no members and I do not run a forum so is not in competition with this forum. A certain person in the past did accuse me of trying to steal members but that was, and still is, not true. I state clearly at the beginning that it is just information for family and friends. It gives me a lot more freedom to display the information the way I want it. In the past I have put some information on the forum with a link to more details on my site. I have not touched my site for some time, so I need to get back to it, tidy it, update it etc. Here is the link as the site stands at the moment http://thephilippinejournal.wikifoundry.com/

There were problems in the forum in the past, which I won’t go into, but it did cause a lot of the early members to drop out, however, it has improved a lot and is now one of the best forums on the subject. When I was removed, I was generally p****d with whole thing so arranged for someone to delete me and I removed all the links to the photos. Some (most?) of my early posts remain but are attributed to ‘Guest’ and with no photos. To be honest, I am still wary of the power wielded by moderators etc, and the misuse by one member has made me reluctant to get too deeply involved, however, things have changed so I will reconsider.

Sorry for the long sermon, but I felt the need to explain how things stood with me and the forum.

I will follow Lee’s suggestion and produce some post to explain how we live and what we do here. Perhaps there should be a new section entitled something like ‘How we live here’  :) and encourage others that live here permanently to make contributions. I think this would be of interest to members still thinking of moving here and saying ‘what will I do when I get there’. Just swinging in a hammock drinking Red Horse served by a beautiful Filipina can get a little boring after a while   ;)

Offline starrt

• Sr Member
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2014, 09:53:04 PM »
Have a enjoyable trip Thomas (starrt) and I hope all your plans work out well for you both. Possibly you might wish to expand on what your home business might be so that others can learn from it. Also my opinion if you want reliable utilities is to try to get close to a call center area, as an example only, I know IT Park in Cebu City seems to have the best services and the least outages from what friends who live there tell me and where I get my LTE wifi service from, since I am a stones throw away as the bird flies.

If you happen to end up in Cebu or plan to be, from Feb to May of any year then please pm me and maybe the four (my wife and I) or more of us can all meet up. I am hoping that Art and his wonderful wife Jho will make it down our way next year as well.

Hi Lee, and everyone else,

I did post a question, with a short explanation, last year of what our future plans are.
I think that this thread is not the place to bring that up, so the link is here if anyone wants to see what it says.

http://www.livinginthephilippines.com/forum/index.php?topic=48375.msg52084#msg52084

I am not yet close to retirement, but both myself and my asawa are planning for me to move to the Philippines and work there for a few years until such time that we can both retire. At that time we will move out of the Manila area to somewhere else, someplace quieter, calmer, less populated, etc etc.

Thomas

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog