Author Topic: Magic Jack Plus, the new Magic Jack  (Read 13799 times)

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
Re: Magic Jack Plus, the new Magic Jack
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2014, 08:12:20 PM »
Yes but with MJ you can give your banks, CC, insurance etc  and friends your number so they will recognize your number when you call and friends and family can call you from their cell when they are out and about on their cell.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2014, 12:29:32 AM »
Why wouldn't you use Skype or Facebook or Google to make calls for free?

You need good connections on both ends to make it work.  The internet connections in the PH are much slower and with less bandwidth than you are accustomed to.  In other words, the connection sucks   ;)

Vonage has a far more expensive VoIP service costing $29.99 plus taxes, etc.. per month, but every month you get 3000 minutes of free calls to Globe phones in the Philippines, including cell phones, and free calls to over 50 countries. Calls to non-Globe numbers in the Philippines cost $0.11 per minute:

We currently use this Vonage/Globe service.  Call quality is excellent and Gloria can talk to her family for as long as 100 minutes per day for a flat rate. 
Louisville, KY USA

Offline JD

• Sr Member
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2014, 04:02:13 AM »
I really hate how the web has devolved into what seems like one long snake-oil presentation. So many websites are big on graphics and marketing and short on real information. I've been to the MagicJack website and have seen the huge, splashy graphics and even watched the super-slick video. I still feel like I haven't learned much.

So, Lee, can I impose to ask a couple of questions?

If I buy a MagicJack and take it to the Philippines, I will have a U.S. based "phone number" that I can give to banks, ect., correct?

If I make a call to the U.S. will it only be free and unlimited if it is to another MagicJack?

I think that's all I wanted to know that I wasn't clear on.

JD

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2014, 04:18:01 AM »
Yes, you can have a US number or for a fee a Canadian number for the Canadians who might read this. All phones calls to or from the US, its territories and Canada are included in the price of the unit, for I believe it is now one year again and then you can either renew by the year or by the 5 years at the time of purchase or after the year expires as I have have done to save a few extra dollars and so I am not bothered with having to remember to renew and to avoid price increases. I had the original Magic Jack for over 6 years and have upgraded to the Plus unit a while ago, I do not have the new unit they now offer but I am sure it works just as well. 

I will be happy to answer any and all questions, I only wish I had stock in the company.

Having a (VOIP) voice over internet phone has saved me a bunch of issues over the years, so while the Magic Jack is less expensive and not perfect all the time but is most of the time, all of them will depend on the speed of your ISP.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2014, 04:31:33 AM »
Let me add for those of you still in the states, that it is best to register your new number ahead of time with your banks and credit cards and anyone else you might be doing business with over the phone. Nowadays they all have caller id and having a number they recognize might save you a problem with a bank that I first had when buying our condos, before we had the MJ and which made me get the first Magic Jack.

Telling banks and credit cards that you will be out of the country is not always good enough since they make mistakes and sometimes their computer will change that notice after a period of time and thus where the MJ may come in handy.

As another tip, be sure to get credit cards and ATM cards with the latest possible expiration date on them before you leave or you could find yourself in a mess, I know because it happened to me when one card expired while we were in the Philippines and I was lucky that I had another one with us or I might have been out on the street corner with sunglasses and a cup begging for money.  ;)

Offline JD

• Sr Member
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2014, 04:48:11 AM »
Thanks much, Lee.

JD

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2014, 04:58:13 AM »
You are welcome JD.

Let me add one more item that I find great about having a MJ, the android or Iphone app for it, I downloaded the app on my android and then whenever I am on wifi with my android phone, I can make free phone calls using my MJ number, so when we are out and about on wifi or when I have purchased prepaid internet service with Globe or Smart, when I get an email message telling me I have a phone calls, I check my message with my MJ application and then return the call using my cell phone with the MJ application, so the number they see on their caller id is still my same MJ phone number. So not only can a person make and receive calls from their home but if they have an android of Iphone then they can use their same number wherever they are on wifi or when on an internet plan as long as the plan is fast enough to give reasonable speed.

Offline Morocho

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2014, 11:05:44 AM »

Vonage has a far more expensive VoIP service costing $29.99 plus taxes, etc.. per month, but every month you get 3000 minutes of free calls to Globe phones in the Philippines, including cell phones, and free calls to over 50 countries. Calls to non-Globe numbers in the Philippines cost $0.11 per minute:

We currently use this Vonage/Globe service.  Call quality is excellent and Gloria can talk to her family for as long as 100 minutes per day for a flat rate.

I use Vonage and love their Extensions smartphone app that allows me to make and receive calls anywhere that has WiFi. Even when I am at home, I now make and receive all my Vonage calls using my Android cell phone rather than with one of three cordless phones I had around the house. The other feature that I like is Call Forwarding; when I get a call, it will ring through Extensions if there is WiFi, but if not, it forwards to my Philippine cell phone number.
Benjamin Franklin wrote: "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Offline Splooge Magoo

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2014, 07:47:53 PM »
Sorry, but I'm a little confused. Lets see if I have the steps down:

Buy Magic Jack Plus and I get a USA phone number. My wife and I will have 2 cell phones, would I need to use a land line in order to have the bank's security recognition work? I think I understand the APP, piece of it where wifi use and notification is the feature.

Dan

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2014, 08:07:19 PM »
Sorry, but I'm a little confused. Lets see if I have the steps down:

Buy Magic Jack Plus and I get a USA phone number. My wife and I will have 2 cell phones, would I need to use a land line in order to have the bank's security recognition work? I think I understand the APP, piece of it where wifi use and notification is the feature.

Buy a MJ and give the number to your banks, credit cards and any type of business you might have to call, such as insurance, investment broker etc, and that way they can call you on that number and you can call them on that number and their system should recognize it.

As for you and your wife having a cell phone each, I am guessing those will be Philippine numbers, so you would not wish to call the US on those if you do not have to, as it is expensive and making the calls on your MJ would be included in your purchase price and extension of years.

If your phone or hers are android or Iphone, then you can download a Magic Jack application to your phone and then also use that while on wifi or on an internet package to call and receive calls on your MJ number which will run simultaneously on your cell phone, thus your phone book would be synced and it will be like having two phones in one. 

Hope that answers your question and if not ask away.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2014, 08:08:29 PM »
Magic Jack is like a landline, you plug a wall type or cordless type phone into it instead of into the wall.

Offline Splooge Magoo

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2014, 08:10:48 PM »
Lee - the last line explains it all to me. Thanks!!!
Dan

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2014, 08:30:24 PM »
Lee - the last line explains it all to me. Thanks!!!

My pleasure sir, it is quite confusing to try to explain, so sometimes I do not know how to put it into a short answer.

To try to explain to other readers, the Magic Jack is about the size of a zippo lighter and on one end has a usb male which can be plugged into a computer and (once registered) it also comes with a a/c plug 100-240 volts that the usb plugs into instead of the computer and that then plugs into the wall outlet and on the other end of the unit it has two holes, one Ethernet and one female phone jack, so to start with the unit gets plugged into the computer and has to be registered and you then picks what area code you wish to have a number from, then once registered it can either be plugged into the computer to use, which would mean the computer would have to be on all times you wish to receive or make calls or out of the computer and plug a Ethernet cable from your router into it and plug the usb into the electrical adapter and plug that into an outlet and then the phone would be on as long as your internet is on and you have power hooked to it.

While in the Philippines I unplug or shut the ringer when we sleep, since day in the US is night in the Philippines, thus people tend to forget or not realize we/you are in the Philippines and you may get calls waking you up.

When you register the unit it is best to attach a US credit card to the account and then it will renew automatically if you tick that box. Also you will have given them an email address and you have to set up the voice mail on the phone by calling your own number and hitting the # and using the default code which I believe is 1234 and setting up your mail box options, then from that point on you will get an email for calls you miss with the number that called and a voice wave or you can then call back your MJ number and get the voice mail directly, which is what I do as I do not wish to have all those downloads waves on my computer, which I would then have to go back and delete anyway, but should you wish to save one of those, then you can download it to your computer as long as you follow the voice mail instructions to save the message as new.

I think that explains it.

Offline wildbill

• Sr Member
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2014, 09:20:47 AM »
The connection just plan words is s***! you cant use it to do very much.just click and wait.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2014, 09:27:04 AM »
If you have a lousy internet connection then the MJ will not work well if at all.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog