Author Topic: Electrical outlet question  (Read 4257 times)

Offline hitekcountry

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: Electrical outlet question
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2014, 03:22:05 PM »
I would have no problem using the US 125V outlets on the 220V circuits in the Philippines. Or put another way that IS what I would do. The reason you see them labeled 125V in the US is that they are the 125V standard outlet in the US.  You would never use them for a 220V circuit in the US simply to avoid confusion, not that the outlet couldnít handle the voltage.
What youíre dealing with are two factors, voltage and amperage. The voltage rating is a function of the device or wire being able to avoid shorting between the voltages. I suspect these outlets could test at well over 600V. What is more directly relevant is the amperage. Amperage is a function of the size of the conductor. Whatever circuit the outlet is connected to as long as the circuit breaker and wire are properly sized with the outlet youíre fine.

From what I saw of the outlets in the Philippines :(óAh-- the nicest way I can put it is I would avoid them.

I didn't intend to include GFCI outlets or breakers in that statement. to be more specific, don't use 110v GFCI devices on a 220 v circuit.