Author Topic: A few Pictures from Yolanda  (Read 7078 times)

Offline coleman2347

• ole jarhead, Tacloban City, Leyte
  • Sr Member
  • Retired Marine, Retired DOD
A few Pictures from Yolanda
« on: May 19, 2014, 12:27:36 PM »
Just thought I would share a few pics of the storm
The only thing worse than wanting to do it is not doing it

Offline hitekcountry

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: A few Pictures from Yolanda
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 02:07:08 PM »
You look at that and the thought is where do you even begin. It just looks impossible to deal with.

There must be some percentage of people who just wouldn't be able to cope with those conditions and would just freeze up or have to leave.

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 02:30:18 PM »
With total devastation like that after Yolanda, IMHO it's just best to pack up whatever valves are left and leave the area, because sticking around will just make it more difficult for those that will be tasked in the clean up of debris and reestablishing or developing the devastated areas where needed! 
As an example, the Japanese has it down to a science in how to start over again, where all or most of the residents were relocated while clean up and redevelopment is started by their government without too much of a hindrance from people getting in the way of progress even though it may take years to complete in putting everything back structurally and or aesthetically the way it was once.   
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 02:34:57 PM by Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline meylou

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 02:42:26 PM »
So sorry for what you've been through.  You have resources so you'll just pick up the pieces and start all over, hopefully in a different area, perhaps a different island?  Whatever you and your wife decides, much luck to you both.

What we think we become... Buddha
:)

Offline coleman2347

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 08:07:42 PM »
Art,that might work if we were in Japan however its been my experience during and after the storm the PI government has done little to nothing, built a few bank houses of the cheapest stuff they could find, handed out NFA rice (kept the Class A rice given here) and cleaned a few streets...other than that it was the NGO's
Meylou Thought about Cebu but the familys here, as there was no one to help that fell to me...gota stay now
Hitekcountry, you start by cleaning out a space to build on, then use the abundance of scrap lumber that was left, after that just little by little and pretty soon its done...not easy but done

I do truly understand why people left, with nothing but the shirt on their back why not...but I and my family were better off than that, and we are determined to rebuild...the ones that piss me off are the ones that left and come back and act like they are heros...especially my brngy Chairman...
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 05:58:30 AM by Gray Wolf »

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 08:46:54 PM »
Boy that is terrible devastation.  :'(

Sorry it breaks my heart to see so that much devastation,  :'( to me that means so many must still be suffering so hopefully after all you have done Lee, lets hope the locals have a new appreciation for you.

The crab mentality is hard for me to understand but I have also seen it in the US, so I guess it is just a people thing and not just found in the Philippines. :(
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline hitekcountry

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014, 02:48:38 AM »
Coleman could you list the NGO’s and rate them as to what your impression of them and which were the most helpful.

There was the desire or willingness in the early days of the disaster to make contributions that would be of some help to those that were suffering through that disaster. But the first decision one had to face was what agency to donate to. And then the realization that more than likely very little of what you give would ever reach those you intended to help. Most of the money would end up stuck in someone’s pocket half way there.

Offline coleman2347

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2014, 10:44:08 AM »
I'm sure there were background organizations that I did not see..I met a lot of people doing different things from restoring communications to rebuilding schools..but boots on the ground, directly helping people these are the ones that stood out.
The United Nations..I have never been a great fan of theirs but the amount of relief they gave directly to people was amazing.  Everything from Tents, Solar lighting, Food, Tarps, Building materials..Tons of their stuff is still being used today especially the Tents and Tarps ...

Save the Children, when I was in the states I got very tired of seeing their pleading commercials, But they came in force, and are still here.

Doctors without boarders, and their Canadian counterpart..Came in and set up clinics and I'm sure saved many.  Now I have to say Canada, Australia,Korea, and Japan stand out among the best.  The US sent doctors and when they got here had no supplies.  They also acted like premadonnas, in the middle of a crisis like this who would think they could come and expect stuff to be here...WTF

USAID..The Marine Corp KC 130s out of Okinawa flew in tons of aid, 24 hours a day for a couple of weeks, trouble was there was no way to distribute it so it sat at the airport for weeks.  Follow through by the US sucked.  And that is hard for me to say.

The Red Cross/Red Crescent Sent many people, supplys and seemed to be one of the best thought out...They actually had trucks to distribute stuff with..they figured out how to get them here from Manila and Cebu.
Mercy Corps/Unicef  Huge response, they did a lot of great work and are still here.

Tzu Chi...The stars of relief, gave money to people directly, gave relief to people directly, you may have to look it up as I didnt know they existed before the last few months..by giving directly they avoided the corruption that was so prevalent. I forget how much they gave but it was amazing at the time...They also seemed to be the ones that had the best handle on cleaning up, I give them a lot of the credit for clearing the roads to allow relief to come thru..

Iglesia Cristo  These guys gave a lot, used their church's as relief points..I was impressed

The Koreans..Something most dont think about, I didnt, was the dead bodies, the Koreans sent a large team of people whose express job was the recovery of bodies.  You could tell them at a glance because they dressed in black. They had everything they needed with them and for weeks maybe months they combed through the wreckage and placed orange flags at the site of DB's, once they were found they did DNA so some of them could be identified.  They did great work and probably are one of the reasons the disease was kept to a minimum..I have no idea if they were private or state sponsored.

I'm sure I missed a bunch but to me these are the ones that stood out, I had the chance to deal with some of them directly and was impressed with the professionalism.

Its one thing to give relief, its another to get it where its needed, thats where a lot of stuff fell through the cracks..you could tell the organizations with experience in third world countries as they dealt with people directly by-passing the local and national government. They had learned if you want relief to go somewhere you better put it there yourself..There were a lot of cases of officials trying to take over for whatever reason, The good NGO's would not let that happen..We had a politician here re-bagging rice with sacks with his picture on them...duh????

Offline coleman2347

• Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2014, 10:55:19 AM »
Btw, this is a great breakdown of the storm. I just found it 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typhoon_Haiyan
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 09:12:05 PM by Gray Wolf »

Offline Majal

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2015, 12:41:07 PM »
Speechless!!! I watched the news and makes me angry to see how incompetent the politicians are...A friend of mine who work in DSWD told me theyve been sitting duck awaiting for instructions instead of being out there helping.  The medicines and food end up in some storage and so many  stealing the donations. I just can't imagine how you guys pull through this, but you're all  alive and that's ultimately is what matter.

Offline blindman

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2015, 07:34:59 PM »
I had not seen this topic before.  Very interesting.  It's great that you and your family are safe Lee.
Mike........

Offline Hestecrefter

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2015, 12:16:53 AM »
While I generally avoid posting to old threads, I'll make an exception here to say thanks to coleman, both for the photos and for his honest and revealing assessment of the relief efforts and those involved.

Offline Majal

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2015, 12:35:13 AM »
While I generally avoid posting to old threads, I'll make an exception here to say thanks to coleman, both for the photos and for his honest and revealing assessment of the relief efforts and those involved.

Hestecrefter.. that's on me posting on an old thread, not sure if that's a NO NO actually in this forum. I'm new to this forum and I am going through old post just so I don't bother asking the residents here about the same questions and concerns. Sometimes, I couldn't help to post a comment....so far, I'd found great amount of  valuable information specially pertaining to Philippine laws and regs, taxes, I need to really get familiar with this and sad to say I am out of the loop as well. My concerns primarily revolves around my husband moving there with me.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2015, 12:47:49 AM »
Hestecrefter.. that's on me posting on an old thread, not sure if that's a NO NO actually in this forum. I'm new to this forum and I am going through old post just so I don't bother asking the residents here about the same questions and concerns. Sometimes, I couldn't help to post a comment....so far, I'd found great amount of  valuable information specially pertaining to Philippine laws and regs, taxes, I need to really get familiar with this and sad to say I am out of the loop as well. My concerns primarily revolves around my husband moving there with me.
It is okay to post in threads that are within the last year or two but some of the older thread that members will see posts by guests in, those threads often do not work properly and I lock them whenever I see them to prevent issues. The owner of this forum tried to change the software from this one to another software and a lot of things got very messed up and then they changed it back to this software and once again it got screwed up even more, so we lost a lot of members who now seem to show as guests, which at times can make the forum a bit confusing and some topics end up not showing all posts. Since Jack left and I came on board, I repair those that I can repair but recently came across some that were beyond repair. :(

Anyway back to the topic, Yolanda did some terrible damage to Lee's (Coleman's) area, to north Cebu and I am sure to other areas, it was great to have Lee post the photos and give us his take on the lack of response. :( I too would like to thank Lee for this topic and the photos.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline Hestecrefter

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2015, 12:58:11 AM »
Majal,

My comment about posting on old threads was not intended as criticism.  Au contraire, you did a service by bringing something worthwhile to my attention.

As for posting to old threads in general, Lee has kindly set out the moderators' views on the matter.  I was simply expressing my own practice, because it is not always easy to remember from forum to forum what are the rules.  I am a member of some where posting to a thread over a year old will bring a strong rebuke from the mods, as well as some whining by members, who perceive some opprobrium in the practice.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog