Author Topic: Benefits for foreign senior citizens sought  (Read 6426 times)

Offline FMSINC

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Benefits for foreign senior citizens sought
« on: June 01, 2014, 03:22:00 PM »
Wonder if this will be put into law ? Tom/Roxas City

http://www.mb.com.ph/benefits-for-foreign-senior-citizens-sought/

by Charissa Luci

Lawmakers have proposed that elderly foreigners who chose to live in the country be given same privileges offered to Filipino senior citizens.

Cagayan de Oro Rep. Rufus Rodriguez and ABANTE Mindanao party-list Rep. Maximo Rodriguez Jr. filed House Bill 4191, which grants foreigners who are residing in the Philippines and are at least 60 years of age granted the same privileges given to Filipino senior citizens.

“These are foreign nationals who have relocated to the Philippines and chosen the country as their own second home,” the older Rodriguez said.

“During their stay, they have brought in considerable investments, patronized local businesses, contributed to the local economy, and in some cases have taken a role in nation building,” he added.

HB 4191 provides that before receiving the entitled benefits and perks, the elderly resident alien, or his/her duly authorized representative, may submit as proof of entitlement, an identification card issued by the office of the senior citizen affairs (OSCA) of the place where he/she resides or a Philippine retirement authority identification card.

The measure said the recipients may also submit an Alien Certificate of Registration I-Card and other documents that establish that the elderly resident alien is at least 60 years of age and a resident of the Philippines as further provided in the implementing rules and regulations of the Expanded Senior Citizens Law.

“They deserve consideration for their contributions and similar treatment in their older years,” Rodriguez said.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 12:48:16 AM by Gray Wolf »

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
Re: Benefits for foreign senior citizens sought
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 05:06:43 PM »
Wonder if this HB4191 will be put into law ?
http://www.mb.com.ph/benefits-for-foreign-senior-citizens-sought/

Tom/Roxas City
This new HB4191 really isn't new, because one has already been submitted back in 2009 or 2010 (just can't find the original HB or SB) and nothing became of it since then!
So, we'll just have to wait and see what happens to this new HB4191.
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • Peace Keeper
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 06:07:17 PM »
I am sure a lot of businesses might not be happy giving some of us discounts, since so many people think we are all very rich just because we have dollars to convert to pesos but some may be happy to. I have heard from a couple of the westerners who live in Cebu that the McDo near our condo always gives them senior discounts and free newspapers to read, I am sure every little bit helps when living on a fixed income. BTW the same McDo has never offered me the discount and I would never ask for it.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline hitekcountry

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 07:31:25 AM »
Do you have to be a permanent resident to get the senior identification card?

I always ask for the senior discount in the States, whether I would in the Philippines I don't know. I would want the card as another form of ID. 

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 07:59:35 AM »
Do you have to be a permanent resident to get the senior identification card?

I always ask for the senior discount in the States, whether I would in the Philippines I don't know. I would want the card as another form of ID.

Yes, if you show a Permanent I-card at the local Senior Citizen Office they will issue you with the Senior ID card. You do also have to be over 60.

Offline hitekcountry

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 10:11:25 AM »
You do also have to be over 60.

Oh I'm good there!!! :D :D

Offline graham

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2014, 10:22:14 AM »
This may be of interest to fellow members:

•  IMPLEMENTING RULES AND REGULATIONS OF REPUBLIC ACT NO. 9994, ALSO KNOWN AS THE “EXPANDED SENIOR CITIZENS ACT OF 2010,” AN ACT GRANTING ADDITIONAL BENEFITS AND PRIVILEGES TO SENIOR CITIZENS, FURTHER AMENDING REPUBLIC ACT NO. 7432 of 1992 AS AMENDED BY REPUBLIC ACT NO. 9257 OF 2003
June 18, 2010
SEC. 2. Definition of terms. - For purposes of this Act, these terms are defined as follows:
"(a) Senior citizen or elderly refers to any resident citizen of the Philippines at least sixty (60) years old;
Sec. 3. Section 2 of Republic Act No. 7432, as amended by Republic Act No. 9257, otherwise known as the Expanded Senior Citizens Act of 2003", is hereby further amended to read as follows:
SEC. 2. Definition of terms. - For purposes of this Act, these terms are defined as follows:
"(a) Senior citizen or elderly refers to any resident citizen of the Philippines at least sixty (60) years old;
"If the offender is a corporation, partnership, organization or any similar entity, the officials thereof directly involved such as the president, general manager, managing partner, or such other officer charged with the management of the business affairs shall be liable therefor.cralaw

"If the offender is an alien or a foreigner, he/she shall be deported immediately after service of sentence.

Graham

Offline bigrod

• Retired USAF Club Mgmt Supt, Personnel Supt & 1st Sgt
  • Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2014, 01:04:06 PM »
That is why the new bill is being proposed, the current law excludes foreign citizens, even though some have been given cards.  A lot of the locals have no clue as to what  the actual law states. I and others I know have been offered the card by the local barangay office and have to explain to them we are not currently authorized.

Chuck
Life is  to short not to live it right the first time

• Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2014, 04:08:26 PM »
It has already been posted on here that the holder of the card has to be a Filipino citizen age 60 and above and permanently resides in the Philippines!
I know a few friends of ours, a foreigner on a BB stamp, a Filipino who's not a Filipino citizen also on a BB stamp and all are just in tourist status, who has their 20% senior citizen discount cards, who shouldn't have them at all and I've informed them what the law says, but they just seem to ignore the issue. It just takes that one time to get caught and be deported! Is it worth it to take that chance of being deported just for a 20% senior citizen discount?

These are the BIR guidelines
Sec. 13. Penalties and Other Sanctions
ftp://ftp.bir.gov.ph/webadmin1/pdf/52407RR%207-2010.pdf
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 05:03:39 PM by Art, "Just a re(tired) Fil-Am" »
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2014, 04:16:02 PM »
The original question was Do you have to be a permanent resident to get the senior identification card.

The answer is yes, you can walk into a Senior Citizen Office show your permanent I-card and you will get the Senior ID card. I can't see that it is illegal to posses an ID card but maybe it could be to use it to get discounts.

However, there was a meeting of the Wardens at the British Embassy a while ago where the man in charge of the system was present. All the wardens had the cards, he checked them all to make sure they were authorised by their local mayors, which they all were, and declared them legal. Now you need to decide whether the man in charge of issuing the cards has the authority to make exceptions to the original act. At the very least, if you are questioned about using them, you have a very high authority to back you up. Sup to you :)

In my case, Bing is a senior complete with the card so it is a little irrelevant.

Offline Vicks

• Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2014, 05:19:09 PM »
My best friend is a senior and when booking hotels he just asks for a Senior Discount; they always give it to him. It is usually 20%, so being on a fixed income it is a great benefit. He will also ask in restaurants and some shopping establishments. Maybe it is his persuasive demeanor or kind face, but most every time he is able to get a discount.  :)

It never hurts to ask.
Never mistake knowledge for wisdom. One helps you make a living; the other helps you make a life.
-Sandra Carey

• Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2014, 11:43:02 PM »
My best friend is a senior and when booking hotels he just asks for a Senior Discount; they always give it to him. It is usually 20%, so being on a fixed income it is a great benefit. He will also ask in restaurants and some shopping establishments. Maybe it is his persuasive demeanor or kind face, but most every time he is able to get a discount.  :)
That's because it's due to the rules and guidelines the BIR set forth under Sec.13. where it says:
Upon filing an appropriate complaint, and after due notice, the proper authorities may also cause the cancellation or revocation of the owner's business permit, permit to operate, franchise and other similar privileges granted to any business entity that fails to abide by the provision of the Act and it's IRR and these regulations.

Sec. 13. Penalties and Other Sanctions
ftp://ftp.bir.gov.ph/webadmin1/pdf/52407RR%207-2010.pdf
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline hitekcountry

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2014, 12:05:04 AM »
I’m a Philippine citizen and over 60, I was just curious as to what constitutes residency. Some countries consider you a permanent resident if you’re in country 180+ days. Would owning property be a factor overriding length of stay? Some people I know are back and forth between the States and Philippines, would they be considered permanent residents? Just wondering where the threshold is.

• Sr Member
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2014, 12:23:37 AM »
I’m a Philippine citizen and over 60, I was just curious as to what constitutes residency. Just wondering where the threshold is.
Check out this site below and see if it will answer your question:

http://www.chanrobles.com/commonwealthactno473.html#.U4yj23KL58E
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline hitekcountry

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2014, 01:40:12 AM »
I’m a Philippine citizen and over 60, I was just curious as to what constitutes residency. Just wondering where the threshold is.
Check out this site below and see if it will answer your question:

http://www.chanrobles.com/commonwealthactno473.html#.U4yj23KL58E

No, that doesn't describe residency, it seems to be about acquiring citizenship and or naturalization and the requirements of residency to that end but doesn't describe what residency is. OR did I miss read it?

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog