Author Topic: Is there a way to regain Philippine citizenship if you were born before 1973.  (Read 6952 times)

Offline PeteDawg

• "Tambok cano?" I think he's talking about me...
Thanks for the suggestion Lee...  I don't think SRRV will be an option...  I still have a while before I can collect my retirement and Social InSecurity (oops).  When we decided to move from San Jose, CA to the Philippines to take care of my father, we went all in and sold the house.  I have to fix my parents land in Dagami, which I'm doing now, but I tell you what, it seems like the PCA, DENR or Dept of AGRI doesn't care of anything south of Palo unless you pay "lagay".  LOL!!! 

To steal a line from "Armageddon"... "Wow, this is a #$%damn Greek Tragedy."  Just substitute Greek with Filipino...

I will do what you suggest, Lee and write the Representative here and the President... It couldn't hurt, could it?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 08:21:39 AM by PeteDawg »
Everyday... is a gift!!!  So eat all your champerado and Halo Halo...

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
The wheels of justice usually take long in the Philippines but I feel you guys and gals who seem to be getting cheated, at least need to try to get those wheels moving and to somehow give them a reason, such as how it might get more people to come home, in order for them to see how it could benefit their career.

I wish you and everyone who finds themselves in the same situation the best of luck, since to me you are being dealt a lousy unfair hand.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline coleman2347

• ole jarhead, Tacloban City, Leyte
  • Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
  • Retired Marine, Retired DOD
I know where you're coming from hitekcountry. Since your father was a Filipino Citizen when you were born in the U.S., you were able to get a Philippine passport because of it, but I would just assume that Pete's Filipino father was a U.S. Citizen while in the U.S. Army in 1952, because U.S. citizenship is a requirement while serving in the U.S. Armed Forces of any branch.
Pete was born in the U.S. on Jan of 1969, which affects his eligibility for Dual Citizenship, since his Filipino born father was already a U.S. Citizen due to being in the military during pete's birth in the U.S. and that was the reason the BI in Cebu rejected his application under RA 9225, which was also the same exact reason I too did not qualify for Dual Citizenship and I know a few Filipino U.S. Citizen retired friends of mine here in the same boat.   

Art, I dont know if this helps or not but you do not have to be a citizen to serve in the US Armed forces.  Actually now its one of the ways of getting your US citizenship by serving.  While I was in one of our flight engineers was a British citizen, he had never converted.  He could not attend any classified brief even though he was on the flight.  We just briefed him after we got on board and took off.   Strange but true.  Lee
The only thing worse than wanting to do it is not doing it

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
True in some cases, but once in the U.S. Armed Forces, certain career fields requires having U.S. Citizenship in order to get a "top secret" security clearance, which was the case in my situation to further my career in the military, which also carried over into my Civil Service job with DOD when I decided to get out of active duty after 12 yrs! 
It's all about each to their own circumstances and or needs when residing/working in the U.S. and while still working for the U.S. government or Armed Forces of any branch, in most cases one can not be a dual citizen with an "Oath of Allegiance" to a foreign country for security reasons and rule of ethics of the United States government during a war or crisis!
So, considering dual citizenship should only be done depending on one's situation or circumstances not affecting one's livelihood if still working in the U.S. or overseas!   
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 03:00:30 PM by Art, "Just a re(tired) Fil-Am" »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline bigrod

• Retired USAF Club Mgmt Supt, Personnel Supt & 1st Sgt
  • Administrator
  • Sr Member
The following states who can join US military,

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/f/noncitizen.htm

Chuck
Life is  to short not to live it right the first time

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog