Author Topic: Sort of technical question about point-of-use water heaters  (Read 1707 times)

Offline JD

• Sr Member
I'm wondering if any of you smart people would know if a pressure-balanced shower valve is compatible with the Philippines-style point-of-use water heater.

We're shopping for some things that will be cheaper here in America, such as bathroom and kitchen faucets, and sending them in Balikbayan boxes.

I know that shower valves in the U.S. (and probably in Europe and elsewhere) must be pressure balanced or thermostatic to prevent scalding but don't know if that's a requirement in the Philippines and also don't know whether a POU water heater we buy there will work satisfactorily with the shower valve purchased here.

JD

Offline coleman2347

• ole jarhead, Tacloban City, Leyte
  • Sr Member
  • Retired Marine, Retired DOD
Re: Sort of technical question about point-of-use water heaters
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 08:44:50 AM »
JD,
I use and have always used a POU water heater for my shower, everywhere else is just cold water.  I think you will find the valve you purchased in the states will work here.  However, the POU heater I have has a temperature setting and dont see the need for a pressure balanced or thermostatic valve here.  On the one I use I just set it to the setting that I find comfortable.  The only time it gets changed is when my wife takes her shower as she does not like the water as hot as I do...
I do totally agree with buying good quality fixtures there both for price and quality.  It may help to know that there are two qualitys of fixtures in the states, one manufactured to sell at places like home depot and another higher quality fixture that sells (at a greater price) at regular plumbing outlets.  The cheaper one has plastic valves etc. and the more expensive has brass...its something I did not know for years until a friend of mine that worked for Moen told me...Lee
The only thing worse than wanting to do it is not doing it

Offline JD

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 09:57:25 AM »
Thanks, Lee. That really helps us!

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 01:48:05 PM »
I have never been a great fan of POU water heaters. I prefer a conventional central system which has the advantage of supplying plenty of hot water to every tap even during a brown out. It is also easy to install a simple solar pre heater, 30+ metres of black garden hose :), to reduce or even eliminate the running cost. The POU units do draw a very high current when switched on which should be considered if sizing for an emergency generator.

Offline Leinster Lad

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 03:46:21 PM »
+1 Colin,
A bit of solar pre-heating can save heaps on water heating costs.

As for the POU systems, I would be worried about having an electrical supply right there in the shower  :o

Offline graham

• Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 05:15:29 PM »
+1 Colin,
A bit of solar pre-heating can save heaps on water heating costs.

As for the POU systems, I would be worried about having an electrical supply right there in the shower  :o

When I had my house rewired with a 3 wire grounded system
I had an Earth Leakage Device (ELD) fitted. In America they are
called Ground Fault Device. It works fine.

The reason I know this, is because our part-time maid stood in the
shower recess with bare feet and proceeded to wash down the walls
with water. Including the power outlet for the heater. She did claim,
when Janet and I got home after shopping, that she felt a slight tingle, but
was mystified as to why there was no power in the house when
the neighbours all had their radios and TV's going!  ??? :o

Graham

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog