Author Topic: Building wish list  (Read 8327 times)

Offline Splooge Magoo

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Building wish list
« on: August 08, 2014, 02:09:51 AM »
I'm getting closer to buying the lot in Canyon Wood (Laurel) and a few months ago I got a great response with what I should bring over from the old country, I figure I will try it again. There are a few restrictions besides money. I am using another forum member's cost per sqm of P22k per sqm.

It has to have a rustic, country living look. The lot I am looking at is 300 sqm and the building footprint can't be more than 150 sqm. I have bad knees and a fat ass so I need a western style house. (I know, lose weight, helps knees). Once the house design is approved, you cannot expand the foot print. Water storage cannot be on the roof.

Having read this over and over insulation is a must.

I saw one house that had a cement log cabin look and I thought that was pretty cool. I would worry about the "logs" deteriorating over a period of time.

I'm not sure if solar panels are allowed as it would conflict with the look. I have a question in with the board regarding this matter. The outside look has to be approved by the HOA.

I would like two bedrooms on the first floor, living room, dining area and large kitchen (tiled floors). Upstairs would be a guest room, library (with balcony over the car port), helpers quarters with outside access). As in the States, the number of bath rooms increase the price of the build tremendously.

I read in the lot information that they recommend that a separate underground water tank  would be helpful as the water pressure drops at peak times so that would indicate to me that I would need an electric pump. Once I need an electric pump for plumbing, I need a generator (Honda!!!).

I think I'm turning into a hippie reading about all of the rain water catching systems, so I think I will join the club for gardening and emergency use.

In the bathrooms in my current house, I used silo stone instead of tile and grout. Its a great look as its one solid piece per wall and you can get the same design for the sink.

Ceiling fans / inverter type A/C for the bed rooms / Attic Fan (I guess this is based on the overall design).

Dual voltage for 110 and 220 items

I will save the toilet discussion for another topic.

Thanks again for all of the great advice.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 04:50:44 AM by Splooge Magoo »
Dan

Offline Tally J

Re: Building wish list
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 07:15:48 AM »
Two comments for you.

Insulation is a must as you say.  Last year when my wife and I retired and moved to Pampanga we shipped a container and I bought 6" bats of insulation for the ceiling.  There was an immediate decline in the inside house temperature after it was installed.  Well worth it for comfort.

Secondly, we purchased ceiling fans at Costco for less than $100 and had them installed.  This required 110v but I see that you are planning on that also.  Fan designs are limited and expensive here so get them in the US if you have some way to ship them.

Good luck on your move.

Offline hitekcountry

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 07:17:35 AM »
One kitchen or two? Itís not  uncommon in the Philippines to have two kitchens, there is the regular kitchen you would find is a similar home in the US and then there is the second ďdirty kitchenĒ.

AT first I didnít see the logic in having two kitchens but the more you think about it the more it makes sense. Iíll mention a few points and then hopefully others can give ideas.

One thing to think about is that there are some Filipino dishes that are god awful smelly that will stink up the whole house, :-[ you might want to cook those outside. Just imagine stinking up the whole house and then opening all the windows and wasting all the air conditioned air. :(

Also if you're going to butcher and clean a goat or pig you don't want to do that in the nice kitchen, do it in the dirty kitchen.

Speaking of air con, if the dirty kitchen is not in the air conditioned space all the heat generated in the kitchen doesnít become a load on the air con.

Of the houses that I saw in the Philippines it was the higher end homes that had the two kitchens. That's just what I saw, I'd be interested in knowing what others opinions are on that.

Offline Splooge Magoo

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 07:30:15 AM »
Hitek, I'm sold on the dirty kitchen
Dan

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 07:41:30 AM »
Just a few initial thoughts.

When I designed my house, as well as high insulation, I concentrated also on high air flow. Having lived in it for several years I am finding the airflow less important and use more aircon than I originally expected. I would now concentrate on even more insulation, perhaps to include double, or secondary, glazing. Our bedroom is noticeable cooler even after being out for many hours during the day.

Unless you are bringing over expensive 110v only equipment, I would avoid the complication of a dual voltage electrical system. The 110v stuff will eventually die and be replaced, if bought locally, by 220v. Use transformers if necessary.

Not too sure about ceiling fans, they just blow the hot air that collects at the top of a room back down again. May be OK if you have lots of open windows but perhaps high level vents would be better.

I did think about attic extraction fans but decided they were an unnecessary complication, plenty of vents should work OK. Ridge vents would be good but complicate the roof structure.

One thing to consider if you are on a small lot, do you get decent airflow around the house? This was a problem with our original rented bungalow.

Offline coleman2347

• ole jarhead, Tacloban City, Leyte
  • Sr Member
  • Retired Marine, Retired DOD
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 07:42:04 AM »
One kitchen or two? Itís not  uncommon in the Philippines to have two kitchens, there is the regular kitchen you would find is a similar home in the US and then there is the second ďdirty kitchenĒ.

AT first I didnít see the logic in having two kitchens but the more you think about it the more it makes sense. Iíll mention a few points and then hopefully others can give ideas.

One thing to think about is that there are some Filipino dishes that are god awful smelly that will stink up the whole house, :-[ you might want to cook those outside. Just imagine stinking up the whole house and then opening all the windows and wasting all the air conditioned air. :(

Also if you're going to butcher and clean a goat or pig you don't want to do that in the nice kitchen, do it in the dirty kitchen.

Speaking of air con, if the dirty kitchen is not in the air conditioned space all the heat generated in the kitchen doesnít become a load on the air con.

Of the houses that I saw in the Philippines it was the higher end homes that had the two kitchens. That's just what I saw, I'd be interested in knowing what others opinions are on that.
Hitek, Dan, for all the reasons mentioned, plus a few more I totally agree...I use my dirty kitchen for a lot more than cooking, I put a tv there and when the kids are home from school I use it for my tv room, I can shut it off and not hear all the noise, I also use it for a party/beer room when my friends come over, same reason we can get out of the way...I finished it native style and have it semi open to the front yard and at night its the most peaceful place in the house complete with night breezes ....my favorite room now....
The only thing worse than wanting to do it is not doing it

Offline piozam13

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 09:37:31 AM »
Veranda, balcony, gazebo, dirty kitchen ... call it whatever ... it's where you park your bbq grill, where mates come anytime  for cold beer without upsetting what's going on inside the house.  Muddy flip flops welcome .. maybe.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 12:33:54 AM by Gray Wolf »

Offline jjcabgou

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2014, 09:44:23 AM »
Dan,
What made you decide on Canyon Woods?  We currently live in Tagaytay and are in the process of searching for a house, we have not yet decided on whether to purchase an already built house or buy.  There are only two advantages of buying an already built house that I can think of, 1. Much quicker to move in 2. 90 percent of them come furnished.
We also have not decided on a location yet which is why I am curious how you settled on Canyon Woods, its a little ways out from the stores, markets etc. but maybe that is what you prefer.
Regarding your costs, I spoke with a contractor yesterday, they really only deal with higher end designs and he quoted me 30,000 per square meter.  I did go into 3 of the houses he has built and they were all very very very nice.  I would suggest you do some serious shopping/research before you decide on a contractor.  If we do end up building I am hoping to get something more in the range of 25k per square meter.  22k you might be sacrificing quality (please note, most here on this forum have way more experience than I do, and my thought process may not be as accurate as I am thinking).  We brought a bunch of 120V kitchen appliances with us and exclusively use transformers with no problem at all.  And most of what we brought over I have now discovered we can get the same thing in Manila.  BTW, we used LBC to ship a lot of boxes, there is no weight limit and we received every box in good condition.

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2014, 03:50:58 PM »
We had a wish list too before I retired, but when I finally did retire and we moved to the Philippines, our savings account was minimal and my initial pension was just as minimal, but was just enough to live on for the next 11 years before my other pensions kicked in!
17 years later, we're still here in the Philippines and enjoying our retirement lifestyle and I have been collecting my other pensions when I turned age 60 and 62. I'm now 66 and our home is paid for! Life is grand even though we didn't have any plans to begin with when we first arrived here in the Philippines just by a "leap of faith" when I retired 6 years early at age 49, but things just turned out for the best over the years, even without all of the stuff from our wish list; Veranda, balcony, gazebo, dirty kitchen, swimming pool and a luxury vehicle like the rest of our "well to do" neighbors! Then again we aren't the type that try to keep up with the "Jones Family" in our "sort of upscale" subdivision, which is in no comparison to some of the homes in the Tagaytay area in the real up-scaled subdivisions up in the High Lands and or of their secluded valleys there in!
It's really all about "each to their own" and for those who were financially prepared prior to their retirement! 
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 04:02:27 PM by Art, a re(tired) "Kano" aka a Fil/Am on paper »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline Splooge Magoo

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2014, 03:58:32 PM »
Jjcabgou, I loved the view, the forest settings, open spaces, etc. The 20 minute drive is a plus for me, club house is fantastic and the 9 hole golf course is a good way for me to get my game back. Plus I did not see bars over every window so it appears to be safe. I did read about an armed robbery a few years ago, but that could happen anywhere.

I have some family connections in construction,  so I think I'm Ok on trust. Your cost estimates worry me a bit. The sqm really is quite subjective, so who knows what our tastes are like.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 05:29:35 PM by Splooge Magoo »
Dan

Offline Splooge Magoo

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2014, 04:01:09 PM »
Art,  fortunately for me, I don't worry about the Jones.
Dan

Offline Shewmake

• Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2014, 07:33:13 PM »
We also have not decided on a location yet which is why I am curious how you settled on Canyon Woods, its a little ways out from the stores, markets etc. but maybe that is what you prefer.
Regarding your costs, I spoke with a contractor yesterday, they really only deal with higher end designs and he quoted me 30,000 per square meter.  I did go into 3 of the houses he has built and they were all very very very nice.  I would suggest you do some serious shopping/research before you decide on a contractor.  If we do end up building I am hoping to get something more in the range of 25k per square meter.  22k you might be sacrificing quality (please note, most here on this forum have way more experience than I do, and my thought process may not be as accurate as I am thinking). 

Canyon Woods is very, very nice, a bit pricey, but very nice. :)

As to the cost it really is all over the place. It depends on what you want and where you are. Dan, look in the home construction section and you will see posts from our construction project. The house is a bungalow and about 190 sqr mtrs. We built the house for about 22K per sqr mtrs (less appliances), and we did not sacrifice much on the quality, to us anyway. Of course, I was my own contractor/foreman; which, I believe saved us 25-40%, as that is what a most contractors want as a profit margin here. This didn't include the cost of the lot. If you're looking at a high end place of around 200-300 sqr mtrs, you will pay more. If you family has connections construction that will save you some, but if the home is large- even at 25K per, it will cost you 6.2 million for a 250 sqr mtr home.

Buying a house and lot can save you loads, if you have take exactly what the developer is offering to build. Every little change or upgrade will cost you lot. If you're buying a home already built, the same applies- if you don't like it, you will have to remodel. For us, we found we didn't care for most of the home designs we looked at in our price range, and to be honest the quality of the overall construction was not up to what we wanted. This does not mean they will fall down around your ears by any stretch, but my just take on it.

Let me add, being your own contractor here should not be taken lightly.

The best of luck to you both (Dan and jjcabgou).
Here for good,
Stephen

If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month. Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Splooge Magoo

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2014, 08:23:56 PM »
Stephen,

I read most of those post and I am using your costs as the basis. I currently live in a 120 sqm condo, so I think I can get by with 200 sqm for total floor space. The downstairs is really where the money will be spent as the upstairs would be for guests and help. The houses in all of the neighborhoods we looked at were all multi-story and I have to avoid stairs so I think I am best of building.

Colin - I will have open space around the house, so open windows will be the norm. When I remodel a few years ago, the ceiling fans and attic fan really do cool down the house. I'll leave it up to the architect to figure this out. I have some great gadgets, so I want the dual voltage. I'm sure over time, there will be some sort of universal standard for replacements, but I think its worth the extra expense to have options.

Tally J - I would have guessed that fan technology would be pretty great in the area.

I didn't ask about this initially, but I think I have to plan for wiring for future technology. I think everything is going wireless, but at this point I think wired connections is still the best.
Dan

Offline ABCDeVil

• Sr Member
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2014, 10:35:27 PM »
Not too sure about ceiling fans, they just blow the hot air that collects at the top of a room back down again. May be OK if you have lots of open windows but perhaps high level vents would be better.

Not sure if many people are aware that you can buy ceiling fans with a reverse switch. These push the hot air down or suck up the cooler air and push the hotter air out, through the wall or ceiling vents. Just a thought guys. Oh and by the way, I have seen them here in the Phils. My friend bought some locally (Olongapo) and had them installed. Says that it was the best thing to keep the high set house cooler on the hotter days.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2014, 12:41:25 AM »

Not sure if many people are aware that you can buy ceiling fans with a reverse switch. These push the hot air down or suck up the cooler air and push the hotter air out, through the wall or ceiling vents. Just a thought guys. Oh and by the way, I have seen them here in the Phils. My friend bought some locally (Olongapo) and had them installed. Says that it was the best thing to keep the high set house cooler on the hotter days.

Bingo!  We have them in the living room and inside kitchen to keep air flowing.  It works!   
Louisville, KY USA

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog