Author Topic: Building wish list  (Read 8193 times)

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: Building wish list
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2014, 12:49:28 AM »
Our current dirty kitchen is outside the house down an exterior wall.  All cooking, frying, etc is done there.  Keeps heat, steam and grease away from the inside. We do our grilling on the rooftop where it's open and keeps the smoke from inside the house.   

Louisville, KY USA

Offline hitekcountry

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2014, 09:35:37 AM »
Zones that can be isolated for different reasons.

We visited one place that I thought was very well designed for the owners needs. The husband is retired, had been a contractor of high-end homes in the US and when they built their Philippine vacation house he was both the designer and contractor for that build. The wife is Filipina and the aunt of my cousins wife.

The owners live part time in the US and part time in the Philippines.

They have a young couple that work for them that live at the house. The wife is the cook and housekeeper and the husband is driver, gardener and maintenance man. The couple also have a little girl.

The Zones-

1   The center of the house I would call the common area it was an open-air area that you entered into when you walked in the front entrance that led to a large veranda with a view of the beach and the ocean and you had the feel, of this is where I want to hang-out. Being open-air, obviously not air conditioned.

2   Second zoneguest rooms on one side of the common area are two large bedrooms, setup very much like hotel rooms, obviously for guests. Each room is big enough for the bed a sitting area and a desk and of course each has its own bath room.  That zone has its own aircon and would not need to be turned on if no one is there.

3   Third zone --- on the other side of the common area was the owners area which included the Master Suite, large bathroom, walk-in closet, the main kitchen and dining room and formal living room. This area could be locked up and aircon shut off when the owners are not there.

4   Fourth zone  consisted of the dirty kitchen (just outside the main kitchen) the workers (the young couples) bedroom and their bathroom. That area had its own entrance from the outside.

So when the owners arent there the help (young couple) have their own area and access to the common core area and have no need to be in zone two or three.

If the owners let family or friends visit when they are not there the guests have access to the guest rooms and the common area and no need to enter the owners locked zone.

And everyone of course have access to the beach.

The house is probably around 300sm and the lot is about 2800 sm.  On the beach.

Ill just say it was quite nice.-- Understatment.-- I have lots of pictures but Ill only share one small peek that doesnt give away too much.

In the picture Im standing in the open-air veranda looking towards the front entrance. The man in the picture was our driver and the little girl is the daughter of the young couple that live there. She is watching her favorite kids cartoon show. How many kids in the Philippines are so fortunate to live in such a place?

Offline Shewmake

• Sr Member
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2014, 12:04:04 PM »
Nice  :D.
Here for good,
Stephen

If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month. Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2014, 12:32:28 PM »
Yes! It's nice and pricey! I no longer work for a living & my wish list has faded away,
but we do live a life of leisure, just without the mansion and or expensive adult toys! :o ;)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 06:34:17 PM by Art, a re(tired) Pinoy aka a "Pekeng Kano" »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline Lei

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2014, 03:57:10 PM »

I think I'm turning into a hippie reading about all of the rain water catching systems, so I think I will join the club for gardening and emergency

A hippie? I have to stop what I am doing and smell myself... Patchouli? Lol. No offense meant. I practiced rain water harvesting, having a few large wine barrel around the house to harvest rain. I used it for cleaning, washing clothes, watering the plants and my brother even haul it to flush their toilet. This aside from having contour raised bed garden in my backyard to capture the rainwater so that it held up the water and percolates to the bottom of the bed. Adding mulch to the bed and thus reduced the need for watering the plants frequently. If I add...creating dams, swales to harness rain water on a larger scale as a way to recharge the aquifer and rehydrate an area, I am sure that is information overload. Does that make me a hippie? I guess so....a hippie sort of a granola eating, flexitarian, healthy lifestyle, love for the environment and respectful for the future. I prefer to be called however, a Permaculturist. We are living in an age of energy and freshwater decline and the future does not look pleasant UNLESS we move creatively into the future, changing our attitudes and lifestyles. Everyone should consider going green and doing their part to take care of the planet, whether a hippie, a hipster or one's own category of COOL.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 04:07:00 PM by julie »

Offline Leinster Lad

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2014, 05:30:26 PM »
Well said Julie, very well said  :D

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2014, 07:32:04 PM »
Very very nice Hitek.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline Splooge Magoo

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2014, 12:13:01 AM »
Julie,

I agree with you and Dan.2 will be a better citizen of the earth. Not quite a hippie, but much less wasteful. Peace!
Dan

Offline Lei

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2014, 07:51:05 AM »
Julie,

I agree with you and Dan.2 will be a better citizen of the earth. Not quite a hippie, but much less wasteful. Peace!

Peace.  :) :) :)

Offline Morocho

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2014, 10:06:11 PM »
...insulation is a must. [Quoted only in part]

I could not find the posts recommending insulation, but I believe that Tagaytay is one of only a couple places in the Philippines where air conditioning is rarely, if ever, needed.

From Wikipedia:
Daily mean temperature in F
Jan 73
Feb 73.9
Mar 75.6
Apr 77.5
May 77.5
Jun 76.3
Jul 74.7
Aug 74.7
Sep 74.8
Oct 75.4
Nov 74.5
Dec 73.6
Average for the year 75.13

My wife and I was just spend two days in Tagaytay and it was almost too cold for us! It is true that in April and May the temperatures may reach 86 degrees, but even that isn't so bad.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 10:17:50 PM by Morocho »
Benjamin Franklin wrote: "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Offline JD

• Sr Member
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2014, 05:00:53 AM »
I like that open space, hitek.

We're looking at averages of around 32C/90F every day down in Davao so although I would love to incorporate that open space into our future house, I'm going to have to really think how to have it without me melting.

JD

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2014, 06:55:03 AM »
...insulation is a must. [Quoted only in part]

I could not find the posts recommending insulation, but I believe that Tagaytay is one of only a couple places in the Philippines where air conditioning is rarely, if ever, needed.

From Wikipedia:
Daily mean temperature in F
Jan 73
Feb 73.9
Mar 75.6
Apr 77.5
May 77.5
Jun 76.3
Jul 74.7
Aug 74.7
Sep 74.8
Oct 75.4
Nov 74.5
Dec 73.6
Average for the year 75.13

My wife and I was just spend two days in Tagaytay and it was almost too cold for us! It is true that in April and May the temperatures may reach 86 degrees, but even that isn't so bad.

Here is an excerpt for my website:-

Roof and Wall Insulation

I have found a table of R Values for different construction materials here:-
http://www.coloradoenergy.org/procorner/stuff/r-values.htm
Using these figures, I have calculated very approximately that the R value for a typical Philippine roof, metal plus inch foil faced foam with a plywood ceiling, would be R=6.0. A 4 inch hollow block wall faced each side with 1inch of cement would give about R=1.0

Recommended figures for Fort Lauderdale Florida, which has a similar climate to the Philippines, are Attic R=30-49 and walls R13-15. To bring the Philippine construction up to the minimum of these figures, I estimate you would need 6 inches of fibreglass above the ceiling, and 3 inches of Styrofoam on the Walls. These are only very rough figures, but it does give the general idea of what is required.

Using the foam sandwich wall would give a value of around R=11.0, which would be acceptable, and providing there was good airflow under the metal roof then perhaps 2 inches of foil covered fibreglass on the ceiling would also be worth considering if the 6 inches proves to be very expensive.

A comfortable inside temperature is around 21C in the UK with an outside temperature averaging around 10C about an 11C difference. In the Philippines you can be comfortable at around 25C by wearing less clothing with an outside temperature at about 30C most of the time, giving a difference of around 5C but in the opposite direction. In a cold country you can always add more clothing to compensate for a decrease in outside temperature, but in a hot country you have to add more insulation on the house to prevent the extra heat from getting in.

New houses are not allowed to be built in the UK without a lot of insulation, and the same should apply here if you want the same degree of comfort. An interesting comment by a Filipino was 'why do you need to insulate the house, it is not cold outside' :)

A bigger difference in comfort can be made by reducing the relative humidity, and an aircon will do that. We only set our aircons to 26C but it does reduce the humidity and is very comfortable without being too expensive.

Offline jjcabgou

• Sr Member
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2014, 07:20:01 AM »
We live in Tagaytay and our bedroom is on the second floor, I use my AC every night except for the months of Jan, Feb, and March (started using in March), others may be able to do without but it does get warm, especially on the second floor.
When we finally do move, I will be certain the master bedroom is on the first floor.

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2014, 08:23:04 AM »
We may have our upstairs bedroom air conditioning running 24/7, 365 days, but we love it here where we live and have been for the past 15 years now!
Putting in insulation in the spare bedroom facing the hot sun will be my next project, because it doesn't get much use in the afternoon due to the warm sun, no problem at night though! Our downstairs is cool 24/7 most of the time and we have a 2 HP split type A/C if needed, seldom used though.
Will we ever move again? I doubt it, because nowadays it just takes too much time and money and we don't need the aggravation in building another home elsewhere, even though Tagaytay is tempting due to it's cooler climate and it's only minutes away from where we live now! Nah, still too much work and this old body of mine isn't what it used to be!
It's just nice to be laid back with a cold drink in hand with some finger food and just watch the fluffy white clouds passing by up in the clear blue sky, in our neck of the woods anyway! ??? :o
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 08:38:11 AM by Art, a re(tired) Pinoy aka a "Pekeng Kano" »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline JD

• Sr Member
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2014, 08:26:44 AM »
Comments wanted on this line of thinking please: Can You Insulate Yourself Cool in the Philippines Why R Value is Useless.

I feel like Forrest Gump today, "I am not a smart man." This is one of those topics where both sides make sense to me, leaving me scratching my head.

JD

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog