Author Topic: Cartoon Network to the rescue?  (Read 4023 times)

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
Cartoon Network to the rescue?
« on: August 18, 2014, 01:32:29 PM »
Now that I've been in Catarman a year, I can say, without a doubt, that the best English speaking person I've met is Tina's oldest son Kenneth.
Noone else is even close.  I can ask him "or" questions and he responds correctly.  When he wants to say "soon" he says soon, and not "for a while".  His accent is great.
When I finally asked him, after being here a year why his English is so good his answer was quick and to the point.
"I watched a lot of Cartoon Network and still do watch a lot of it.  And then Disney kids when not watching Cartoon Network.  They only speak English, so I learned from that."
Made me stop for a second.  This kid, now in middle school level, speaks better english than any teacher of either Kenneth or Kyle.  Heck, the teachers are more times than not horrible. 
Is it time for the public schools to turn on Cartoon Network in school when it's time to teach English?
(this was meant some with humor, but also truth) Sorry Greg, didn't know where to put this.
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: Cartoon Network to the rescue?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 06:16:10 AM »
Who's Greg?    ???
Louisville, KY USA

Offline JD

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 10:45:38 AM »
Who's Greg?    ???

Marsha's older brother?

(Hey, we're talking TV here!) :P

Offline iamjames

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 03:53:44 PM »
Exposure to English at an early age is essential and what better way than cartoons. Even if the kids do not instantly speak English much of what they hear is stored in the recesses of the brain and facilitates later formal learning. Reading is also important but that is generally non existent because of the lack of books. I am getting a great response here in Ireland to my books appeal - just the eventual logistics are going to kill me!   

Offline coleman2347

• ole jarhead, Tacloban City, Leyte
  • Sr Member
  • Retired Marine, Retired DOD
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 07:02:01 PM »
james do you send them here balikbayan,,,i agree lack of books and lack of teachers encouraging to read is the problem here
The only thing worse than wanting to do it is not doing it

Offline iamjames

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 11:37:02 PM »
Coleman - I am in Ireland at the moment and hope to get some containers of books shipped in the next six months. Postage from here would be far too expensive. Does anyone know what the Balikbayan boxes cost from the USA? I also have friends there who have large surpluses of books in schools.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2014, 05:41:47 AM »
Coleman - I am in Ireland at the moment and hope to get some containers of books shipped in the next six months. Postage from here would be far too expensive. Does anyone know what the Balikbayan boxes cost from the USA? I also have friends there who have large surpluses of books in schools.

It depends on the origin in the US as well as the destination.  For instance, from Kentucky, our home in the US, to Manila is $95.  But to send the same box to Buguey northern Luzon was $115.  You can ship from the left coast of the US to Manila for $75-85 depending on the shipper (FOREX, LBC, etc)

Most if not all B-Box shipments are flat rate, weight is of no concern as long as the load fits into the box.  HTH   

I wish you well with your book shipments.  Decent educational books are especially hard to come by in the PH

Where in the US are your friends?  Maybe I can help find a shipper for them
Louisville, KY USA

Offline iamjames

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2014, 06:41:08 AM »
The main one would be Pittsburgh. They are looking into shipping themselves but any help would be appreciated.

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2014, 11:56:24 AM »
The main one would be Pittsburgh. They are looking into shipping themselves but any help would be appreciated.
Think the Kentucky rates might be better than my rates, but who knows.  Might even be cheaper in Pittsburgh.  But in West Michigan(Grand Rapids area) the boxes are all taken to Chicago.  There they are put aboard a ship that I'm guessing goes through the Hudson(why it might be cheaper in Pittsburgh as your pick up could be further along the way).  Then just brought to the phils.  The boxes are trackable also if you use LBC(might be for other companies also, but I've only used LBC). 
My parents just sent me a box.  It was $90 for the shipping and $5 for the box(jumbo size.  Pretty damn big bro, should be able to fit a LOT of books in one of those). 
So who knows, might be $85 and $5 where you are, but I don't have a clue.  Just go online to google.com and search lbcexpress and it'll show you where your local "office" is.  In GR it's the garage of a pinoy.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2014, 11:37:23 PM »

Think the Kentucky rates might be better than my rates, but who knows.  Might even be cheaper in Pittsburgh.  But in West Michigan(Grand Rapids area) the boxes are all taken to Chicago.  There they are put aboard a ship that I'm guessing goes through the Hudson(why it might be cheaper in Pittsburgh as your pick up could be further along the way).  Then just brought to the phils.  The boxes are trackable also if you use LBC(might be for other companies also, but I've only used LBC). 
My parents just sent me a box.  It was $90 for the shipping and $5 for the box(jumbo size.  Pretty damn big bro, should be able to fit a LOT of books in one of those). 
So who knows, might be $85 and $5 where you are, but I don't have a clue.  Just go online to google.com and search lbcexpress and it'll show you where your local "office" is.  In GR it's the garage of a pinoy.

All of our boxes are shipped thru Chicago, the main distribution location for FOREX.  We have a local agent, a Filipino grocery, who takes the boxes to Chicago once a week and then picks up supplies for his store.  The boxes are put into containers and shipped overland by truck to the left coast where they are put on ships. 

I checked the FOREX website, but they do not list Pittsburgh.  They don't list Kentucky either, so that makes me believe if you are in Pennsylvania you would need to find a local agent, most likely a Filipino/Asian grocery.  You might be surprised how many little local food stores owned by Filipinos are actually agents for B-Boxes.

Check these two shippers and see if they can assist you:

https://www.forexworld.us/Home/

http://www.lbcexpress.com/

PARTNER AGENT - LBC DOOR-DOOR
413 Kent Dr., Mechanicsburg, PA 17055
Contact Number : 717-697-0230
Services : CARGO

PARTNER AGENT - VEN & VAN ASIAN IMPORT
7925 A, Bustleton Ave ., Philadelphia, PA 19026
Contact Number : 215-990-4298
Services : CARGO
Louisville, KY USA

Offline iamjames

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2014, 05:25:29 AM »
Yep. I had estimated cost to be about $70 - $90 per box - but what size is a box?  ???

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2014, 05:39:46 AM »
The traditional "jumbo" box is 23" x 20" x 17".  Some companies offer smaller sizes for a reduced rate and weight. 

I can't imagine what a "jumbo" box of books would weigh!   :o
Louisville, KY USA

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2014, 10:48:23 PM »
We don't have forex in GR.  At least none that I can find online. 
The LBC has a crazy tracking where it tells you each step, but also each "expected" step.
So it'll be something like:
Checked into Chicago Warehouse.
Loaded onto ship.
Estimated departure time dd/mm/yyyy - xx:xx (am or pm)
Estimated departure time dd/mm/yyyy - xx:xx
Actual departure time  dd/mm/yyyy xx:xx
then after a week or so you get "estimated arrival to Manila port dd/mm/yyyy

and so on and so forth.  Sorta crazy, but it gets the job done. 
Forex might be better for you if they do truck hauling across the states to the west cost.  That cuts days off I'm guessing. 
Best of luck.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog