Author Topic: American introduces containers for housing  (Read 6961 times)

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
American introduces containers for housing
« on: September 11, 2014, 07:17:56 AM »
Interesting concept and it seems like possibly reasonable prices too?

Wednesday, September 10, 2014
MOBILITY does not only apply to products of information technology but also to the most basic human need--shelter.

American businessman Salvatore Peter La Barbera, who has had 40 yearsí experience in the construction industry, brings to the Philippines container houses, which have only been seen as emergency or temporary shelters in the Philippines.

La Barbera, 67, officially opened on Sunday, Kyoob Inc., a cargo container construction company, which maintains its manufacturing facility in a 720-square meter property in the North Reclamation Area. He said it is the first in Cebu.

Prices of a container house in Kyoob start at P445,000 for The Spartan model, a single 20 footer module with one bathroom, one kitchenette, and a carpeted bedroom.

It can go as high as P1.5 million for the Regency Arms model, consisting of four 20-footer modules with three bedrooms, two full bathrooms, a full gallery kitchen, and living room.

Other models in Kyoob include the Regal, which goes for P800,000, the Regency at P1.08 million, the Triplex at P988,000, and the Duplex, also at P988,000.

READ MORE
   http://www.sunstar.com.ph/cebu/business/2014/09/10/american-introduces-containers-housing-364829
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline FMSINC

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: American introduces containers for housing
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 12:44:11 PM »
For the price of the 20 footer you could build a 3 bedroom hollow block Filipino Style se with with CR and tin roof and still have some money left over plus 3 times more space

In Roxas City a new home  built by developer 3 bedrooms with lot in gated subdivision is 1.5 M just bring your tooth brush just 10% down developer finances monthly payment 6000 month mainly bought by OFW

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 01:40:58 PM »
One good thing about container homes for foreigners is that they can be placed on leased or rented land.. If the owner reneges on the lease at any point then the container house can dis assembled be put on a truck/s and moved to another location.
There are some very good designs out there that will keep the units as cool as a nipa hut with the advantage that it will be earthquake and typhoon proof.
Win,win,win.

Offline iamjames

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 02:55:44 PM »
Apparently containers are used for about 10 years and then sold off at about $1,500 each (about 1mil of these worldwide). I have seen the houses in Sri Lanka and thought they were an excellent idea. The 20' containers could be made into habitable homes for about $2000 each. These would serve as a fast and efficient emergency housing in the event of disasters like typhoons or earthquakes. Surely it would have been the ideal solution after Yolanda.

Offline suzukig1

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, 09:02:41 PM »
That is an incredibly expensive price for the Phl (if my math is correct).  A 20 foot container is about 20 ft X 8 ft; 160 sq ft.  Less than 16sqm.  (Actually about 14 sqm.)  So about P30,000 per square meter for the P445,000 Spartan unit. 

You can build a basic hollow block house with concrete finish and concrete floors for about P10,000 per square meter.  (We built a 200 sqm singe story house for P2M.  Another P500k to finish up the inside but only 1 American style CR and no kitchen.)

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2014, 08:00:46 AM »
Its expensive because its his idea of how to make a profit from those not prepared or lack the knowledge to do the job themselves. Good for him and his business idea if he can sell them.
If you want cheap..Its not that hard to do it for a DIY price!!

« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 08:08:05 AM by fred »

Offline coleman2347

• ole jarhead, Tacloban City, Leyte
  • Sr Member
  • Retired Marine, Retired DOD
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2014, 08:16:21 AM »
Fred, thats really cool, especially the garage doors in the living room, lol, I could work on my bikes while watching tv, cool
The only thing worse than wanting to do it is not doing it

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2014, 08:40:14 AM »
Fine.
Just don't get oil on the rug!

Offline graham

• Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2014, 12:51:53 PM »
Fred,

Untimely advice mate. Some years back I was separated
from my wife. I took in a guy to share the cost of my apartment.
He was a nice clean-cut sort of fellow, who was involved in
triathlons. He set up his bike in the lounge room on a pedestal
so he could practice. I wasn't home at the time.

What he forgot was he had oiled the chain after coming home
the day before. My beautiful white rug (expensive) had a long thin
trail across it like a comet's tail. Not impressed. He did buy me a new one!

Graham

Offline coleman2347

• ole jarhead, Tacloban City, Leyte
  • Sr Member
  • Retired Marine, Retired DOD
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2014, 01:29:02 PM »
HaHa, in my sala there is a Yamaha xs 650 old school twin like the Jap version of a Triumph , of course I have a mat under it, but now Maline just shakes her head when her friends come over and says "thats just him"
The only thing worse than wanting to do it is not doing it

Offline cvgtpc1

• Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2014, 11:17:21 PM »
Interesting concept and it seems like possibly reasonable prices too?

Wednesday, September 10, 2014
MOBILITY does not only apply to products of information technology but also to the most basic human need--shelter.

American businessman Salvatore Peter La Barbera, who has had 40 yearsí experience in the construction industry, brings to the Philippines container houses, which have only been seen as emergency or temporary shelters in the Philippines.

La Barbera, 67, officially opened on Sunday, Kyoob Inc., a cargo container construction company, which maintains its manufacturing facility in a 720-square meter property in the North Reclamation Area. He said it is the first in Cebu.

Prices of a container house in Kyoob start at P445,000 for The Spartan model, a single 20 footer module with one bathroom, one kitchenette, and a carpeted bedroom.

It can go as high as P1.5 million for the Regency Arms model, consisting of four 20-footer modules with three bedrooms, two full bathrooms, a full gallery kitchen, and living room.

Other models in Kyoob include the Regal, which goes for P800,000, the Regency at P1.08 million, the Triplex at P988,000, and the Duplex, also at P988,000.

READ MORE
   http://www.sunstar.com.ph/cebu/business/2014/09/10/american-introduces-containers-housing-364829

Not for me but would like to see finished pictures of one.

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2014, 01:09:50 AM »
OK! Here's my two centavos worth! The shipping containers are piling up at the port of Manila and are just rusting away! Maybe they are not cost effective to sell to be made into homes as this topic would suggest or claim it could be converted into livable homes! Yeah right! As others have mentioned, it would be cheaper to build a small house out of cement hollow blocks!
NEDA: Measures taken to solve port congestion in Manila || Aug. 29, 2014
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 01:20:45 AM by Art, just a re(tired) Fil/Am »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline iamjames

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2014, 02:20:19 AM »
$10,000 for 20sq. metres of space is nuts. A 70sq. metre house here (concrete+plumbing+electricity+tiled roof +100sq metre site) costs $20,000.  Add on to the cost of the container home the price of a site and connections to water, sewage and electricity and it would be $20,000in the end.

Alternatively -  buy the container yourself for $1500, find a place to squat, and get a local to beat out windows and doors! Do it the Filipino way.

Offline Abnfuels

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2014, 07:00:57 AM »
Can they deliver, I need storage space to keep lawn mower....plus lock & key...

Offline Shewmake

• Sr Member
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2014, 03:37:28 PM »
HaHa, in my sala there is a Yamaha xs 650 old school twin like the Jap version of a Triumph , of course I have a mat under it, but now Maline just shakes her head when her friends come over and says "thats just him"

She's a keeper for sure!
Here for good,
Stephen

If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month. Theodore Roosevelt

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog