Author Topic: Getting the best exchange rates  (Read 8501 times)

Offline Splooge Magoo

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: Getting the best exchange rates
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2014, 01:49:59 AM »
I went to the cock fights in Manilla and the "lenders" had the best published rate. I don't know if fees applied.
Dan

Offline jjcabgou

• Sr Member
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2014, 07:47:41 AM »
Yeah, on the average it's about 20 centavos less when converting dollars to pesos on-line, but can get a higher rate when converting $1,000 or more on-line! That's why I set aside pesos and dollars in cash to last a few months so that we have the option at any given day when the rates are good to exchange our dollars on the spot at a bank or money ex-changer with the highest rate when on-line rates are usually less!   
Art if you dont me asking, which bank do you use to exchange your dollars to peso's online?  BDO told me I have to do this in person and physically withdraw dollars, make the conversion and the physically deposit the pesos into the peso account.
I would LOVE to do that online

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2014, 08:02:57 AM »
I do dollar conversion and transfers on-line with BPI bank! For larger amounts over $1,000, I call the nearest BPI bank in advance for them to have my dollars in cash in hundred dollar bills ready for pickup so I won't have to wait while they record all the serial numbers!   
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 08:09:38 AM by Art, just a re(tired) Fil/Am »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2014, 11:19:51 AM »
I am bad it is 5 centavos more not peso.  Sorry!  But at least you are reading. Bud I always get a better rate outside the bank here in Cavite.:-[

Chuck

Yeah Chuck.  After I got offline, I got to thinking that maybe you meant 5 centavos.  That is what I get and I don't know if all the girls at your bank know about that rate but the ones at mine do not.  And although it is chicken feed, if they don't give me it, I say, "No thanks.  Not today."

I don't know if BDO is starting to go higher now as it has only been recently that a few times, their rate was higher and I have started to move more to my peso account rather than go outside.  I used to get maybe anywhere between 20 to 30 centavos more outside.  Now is almost always the same or lower or only a few centavos higher.  And it is not because outside they decided that I am a cano.
Whatever floats your boat.

Offline bigrod

• Retired USAF Club Mgmt Supt, Personnel Supt & 1st Sgt
  • Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2014, 01:17:37 PM »
The girls at our branch seem to know to give the extra five centavos.  The BDO on-line banking has an exchange feature for converting dollar to peso accounts, but it does not work.  Asked our manger about it got the shoulder shrug, I said "guess BPI has better programers than BDO", got the eyes looking at the floor then.
Life is  to short not to live it right the first time

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2015, 10:20:39 PM »
I know there were days in the past years ago that the rate crept around in the upper 50s but I have only been here for the past five years and the first three of those just on vacations and even though some of those times it was close, I have now been exchanging 1 USD per 46 or more pesos.  And it is not just the exchangers as BDO even has it so I would imagine other banks do too.
Whatever floats your boat.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2016, 10:43:07 AM »
I am leaving in about two weeks, so now the exchange rate is going up :(
anyway I am glad for all those living on US dollars that it is going in your/our favor, hope it hits 50 soon, that sure would make it easier to know how many US dollars things cost.
1.00 USD   =   46.7353 PHP
http://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/convert/?Amount=1&From=USD&To=PHP
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2016, 08:32:04 AM »
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog